The Allen Robinson Thread

.Buzz

7 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

That’s not the real Dave Caldwell lol

but A-Rob won’t be back. They dropped the ball on this one. Just a horrible evaluation of the receiver position.

Yeah.  Without the tag, he's not coming back at this point.  Too many other teams out there with too much money to spend, and too much need for top tier weapons like ARob.

Guess WR just moved to the top of the priority list for the Draft.  :/

23 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Without the tag, he's not coming back at this point.  Too many other teams out there with too much money to spend, and too much need for top tier weapons like ARob.

Guess WR just moved to the top of the priority list for the Draft.  :/

Guess I’ll watch some Courtland Sutton highlights.

I just remembered reading Caldwell considered a Watkins and Carr combo for the first two rounds of the draft as opposed to Bortles and Lee (they didn’t think A-Rob would be there in the second). If this is true, maybe they just want too keep all the starters from last year (Bortles , Lee, Colvin) and pursue Watkins for cheaper than A-rob and get Bridgewater too. Then draft mike gesecki

4 minutes ago, Duuuuuvaal said:

I just remembered reading Caldwell considered a Watkins and Carr combo for the first two rounds of the draft as opposed to Bortles and Lee (they didn’t think A-Rob would be there in the second). If this is true, maybe they just want too keep all the starters from last year (Bortles , Lee, Colvin) and pursue Watkins for cheaper than A-rob and get Bridgewater too. Then draft mike gesecki

This isn't a crazy thought tbh. Id be surprised if we don't pursue a veteran TE or WR with all our youth/need for production asap at those positions.

12 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Marrone also coached Watkins in his final year before he quit. He has always talked highly of Sammy. 

Something to keep an eye on.

It's interesting.

Would much rather have ARob, but if they seriously like Watkins more for some reason it would make more sense for why they did what they did.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It's interesting.

Would much rather have ARob, but if they seriously like Watkins more for some reason it would make more sense for why they did what they did.

Yep, that or they like a guy like Sutton in the Draft.

Who knows what they’re thinking. 

3 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Yep, that or they like a guy like Sutton in the Draft.

Who knows what they’re thinking. 

Dede, Cole, Sutton/Ridley/draft pick just seems like way too much youth at the top. Especially with likely a #1 rookie TE. I don't know...

8 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Guess I’ll watch some Courtland Sutton highlights.

Silver lining...i really like Sutton on tape, but was a bit worried about his actual athleticism to carry his game forward at the next level.  But he tested really surprisingly well for his build, size, and style of game at the combine.  It's really making me wonder if part of why he looks a bit one-speed at times, is just that he's such a smooth athlete.  a la Alshon Jeffery (who i also loved coming out of the draft).

Dark cloud negativity though...i'm really starting to get the impression that Dave and Co. really don't much care for size and that 50/50 ability nearly as much as they probably should.  It's always kinda been there as a nagging though, but letting ARob walk just amplifies it.  They seem much more fascinated with the "S" component of the whole HWS triumvirate.

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

If they sign Watkins, I don’t think Lee would be back and we wouldn’t get a comp pick for A-Rob.

It is intriguing though if the price isn’t too high.

Yeah.  I'm not gonna lie...upon hearing ARob was being cut loose and assuming we'd lose him, and simultaneously hearing that Watkins was also not tagged...the thought definitely crossed my mind.  I wouldn't even mind it tbh.  That'd be the way to salvage my opinion of the whole situation.  Watkins is a stud too, and he'd fit much more in that Qise Lee role, only far better.  Which would be interesting.

Problem being...to lure Watkins into a situation where he's going to be asked to play in an unusually run-heavy offense, with Blake "i throw ducks" Bortles at the helm, over sticking in that Rams system with Goff and the young offensive genius coach McVay...You'd have to imagine we'd need to pitch a substantially bigger financial commitment to win the day.  Talking ballpark same sort of money ARob would've commanded on the Tag...but with substantially longer-term commitment.  For an overall, probably less versatile WR.

The idea of signing Watkins would really redeem them after letting ARob go though.  I could actually understand that.  But if that's going to happen, there's gotta be zero chance Lee returns.  It just wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.  There's way too much overlap there, in a role where we've already pushed overlap to the ledger.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

It's interesting.

I can absolutely see why they might potentially prefer Watkins > ARob.  It's certainly a lot closer to the sort of skillset they won with in 2017.  If they want a speed guy with YAC ability to run those drag/WR mid screen type things with, Watkins > ARob.  If that's how we're going to cater to Bortles inability to function within a real timing offense.  I can dig that.  It makes sense.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Dede, Cole, Sutton/Ridley/draft pick just seems like way too much youth at the top. Especially with likely a #1 rookie TE. I don't know...

This is the thing though.  If "the plan" is to ditch ARob, sign Watkins...they've either got some mighty big testicles, or they're extremely naive and stupidly reckless.  There is absolutely zero guarantee you can actually land Watkins.  Whereas they would've been guaranteed to have their own top tier WR, should they have exercised that tag option.

And if you don't...yeah..you've got a bunch of inexperience (unless you bring Lee back...ugh).

I'm still not so convinced we're getting that rookie #1TE though.  I think we're getting someone at the position...but they brought back Marcedes for a reason.  He's still actually very good, for what we want out of a TE in this offense.  He's a terrific blocker, who can still catch the occasional pass as well.  I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if he led our team in TE snaps again next year.  Maybe even by a significant margin.

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I get that, i wonder what it is that we dont know. Is there something going on in A-Robs camp? I agree it is really silly not to tag him

At some point, I think we need to accept that this is who Doug Marrone is. He wants to control the clock and he wants to run the ball and play defense. I don't think this offense will ever sling the ball around. And when that is your philosophy, then you probably don't need to spend 16M on a receiver.

I think Doug is comfortable going with Hurns,Westbrook, and Cole plus a rookie. Maybe Lee if they can get him for a discount (which I don't think they will).

It's ridiculous to me, but I think this is who we are with him at the helm. Last season was the start of the foundation of trying to be a physical run/defense team. We got that from the defense (even though it can get more stout vs run), and while the offense had it's moments, it really wasn't an efficient run offense. Based on what they've done, I think they will add some more components to improve that run game.

Archived