The Allen Robinson Thread

.Buzz

11 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

why do we need to spend like 50 million on our DL?  certainly could better allocate the funds to keeping a Legit offensive weapon but apparently it makes 2 much sense for us to do. 

I think this is kind of the weird thing. the team swung for the fences with that deal. and so far, letting go of arob might indicate they are scaling back.

I mean, I'm not a fan of how this was handled but I'm not gonna completely go off rails until I see whatbthey do the rest of the off season.

it's barely even started.

The issue I believe is Coughlin is looking at it as if they’ve accomplished all this without ARob they are probably looking to sign ARob for 10-12 mill a yr but ARobs agent knows he can get upwards of 14.5 on the open market. ARob is more concerned with his financial future, than anything else at this point. Which you can’t knock him for.. Coughlin doesn’t see a point in paying him 16 mil coming off an ACL plus an inconsistent 16’ regardless of how terrible Blake was. If Coughlin believes he was shoe in for a season like 15’ he would have paid the 16 I don’t think Tom is as confident as AR15 is and he feels like he (ARob) should have more realistic expectations to think he should be paid 16 mil a yr even if on a 1 year deal. I’m sure if ARob wanted to play for 10-12 mil on a 1 yr prove it deal the deal would be finished. 

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

The issue I believe is Coughlin is looking at it as if they’ve accomplished all this without ARob they are probably looking to sign ARob for 10-12 mill a yr but ARobs agent knows he can get upwards of 14.5 on the open market. ARob is more concerned with his financial future, than anything else at this point. Which you can’t knock him for.. Coughlin doesn’t see a point in paying him 16 mil coming off an ACL plus an inconsistent 16’ regardless of how terrible Blake was. If Coughlin believes he was shoe in for a season like 15’ he would have paid the 16 I don’t think Tom is as confident as AR15 is and he feels like he (ARob) should have more realistic expectations to think he should be paid 16 mil a yr even if on a 1 year deal. I’m sure if ARob wanted to play for 10-12 mil on a 1 yr prove it deal the deal would be finished. 

I just think it has to do with our team philosophy. We are such a run dependent team that wants to take the clock down and lock it down defensively. With all the guys that will need to be paid, they don't want to give that much $$ to a position that we clearly don't value THAT highly.

I disagree with it as I agree with @Tugboat regarding needing a WR with his skillset to bail us out at times...but TC and co. think differently.

Also, TC quote makes me think he wants out with how he spoke.

Coughlin is not going to resign ARob as long as he has a back up plan I’m fine with it. But if not resigning ARob and we don’t make any significant upgrades at another position than I’ll be pissed ?. But the issue we run into is I don’t want Lee to return.. unless he wants to play on a team friendly deal I think we’ve seen what we will get from Lee he isn’t going to give you more production than what you got in 16’. He has peaked we don’t know how big a jump Cole, and Westbrook will make I doubt either emerges as a 1000 yard receiver this yr. it’s highly unlikely a rookie wide out will come in as a rookie and give you ARob production. Plus we are short picks and need interior lineman on offense a TE another position that is hard to get production from as a rookie and now wr1.  Which means more bland offense next yr and nobody to bail Blake out on the outside. 

3 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Coughlin is not going to resign ARob as long as he has a back up plan I’m fine with it. But if not resigning ARob and we don’t make any significant upgrades at another position than I’ll be pissed ?. But the issue we run into is I don’t want Lee to return.. unless he wants to play on a team friendly deal I think we’ve seen what we will get from Lee he isn’t going to give you more production than what you got in 16’. He has peaked we don’t know how big a jump Cole, and Westbrook will make I doubt either emerges as a 1000 yard receiver this yr. it’s highly unlikely a rookie wide out will come in as a rookie and give you ARob production. Plus we are short picks and need interior lineman on offense a TE another position that is hard to get production from as a rookie and now wr1.  Which means more bland offense next yr and nobody to bail Blake out on the outside. 

I'm right there with you man regarding Lee.

I was cautiously optimistic about the guy after last season, but this past season I was not impressed. I would much rather take a flier on Paul Richardson or someone like that then bring Lee back. Grab someone with some upside at a rate that isn't crazy, and draft another guy in the first four rounds in the draft. 

I have to imagine we grab an interior OL or TE at the very least in FA. The way Caldwell spoke about our FA approach going into next week made me think we'll be relatively active. Pugh/Norwell (although Norwell may price himself out of our plans) make too much sense. Especially Pugh with our connections/his flexibility.

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

This is why you can’t resign ARob the market has been set. Now you’re going to have to get production from rookies on rookie contracts in order to compete wideout contracts are approaching QB numbers.

Wonder if TC and co. knew about this. Would make a lot more sense if so.

I still would have preferred the tag and figure things out later, but there's no way we are going to pay a WR that much with the position we are in and what our philosophy is.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Wonder if TC and co. knew about this. Would make a lot more sense if so.

I still would have preferred the tag and figure things out later, but there's no way we are going to pay a WR that much with the position we are in and what our philosophy is.

Sure, if that was the holdup on a longer-term deal.  That was always going to be an issue to figure out.

Doesn't really affect the Tag option though.  That was always going to be expensive, but low-commitment and with no real impact on 2019 and beyond, where they would've had to work out the actual market deal...or just walk away (which they're doing this year anyway).

13 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Just because Evans got that doesnt mean Robinson would. He isnt as good as Evans

17M? No. But I'd be willing to bet he wants 14-15M now. Otherwise he's going to want a one year deal to get back from the injury and get that or more next year.

If we wanted a long term commitment or nothing to do with him, than he was out the door with demands like that.

We'll see what he ends up getting.

26 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

17M? No. But I'd be willing to bet he wants 14-15M now. Otherwise he's going to want a one year deal to get back from the injury and get that or more next year.

If we wanted a long term commitment or nothing to do with him, than he was out the door with demands like that.

We'll see what he ends up getting.

He doesnt exactly seem like the type to have such a jaded personality

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

He doesnt exactly seem like the type to have such a jaded personality

He wants to get paid like he feels he's worth. I don't blame him if he did have feelings like those.

Coughlin made it sounds like there may be more to things than we know. We obviously could have placed tag on him regardless of his feelings, but who knows how he feels about here long term/how much $$ he wants.

Archived