Panthers Cut Jonathan Stewart

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Has there ever been such a mediocre RB have such a prolonged career with one team?  I mean I get that he was drafted into a weird situation with Deangelo Williams already on the roster, but look as these career stats for Stewart:

- He surpassed 1,000 rushing only once in 10 seasons, and that was in 2009.

- He has double digit rushing TDs only twice, way back in 2008 & 2009.  

- He averaged more than 5.0 rushing yards in a season only twice, and  4.5+ only 4 times. 

- He surpassed 200 receiving yards in a season only once.  

- He never had more than 1 receiving TD in any season. 

This why JStew was never one of my favorites. He should have been cut before Williams back a few years ago.

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

This has Buffalo written all over it.

They just hosted Chris Ivory for a visit + McDermott and our GM were both in Carolina when J stew was the back there. 

I would not be surprised to see us sign him and back up Shady. 

Bills or Giants has his name all over it.

43 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

This why JStew was never one of my favorites. He should have been cut before Williams back a few years ago.

Neither one deserved the contract they got in 2011, but Williams' was far more offensive. Dude spent the next two years flopping to first contact like a gunshot victim.

1 hour ago, BringinDaPain said:

Samuels was drafted more as a WR, to keep the other teams D from double teaming Funchess all the time. Samuel can play the X ,Y, Z plus spell in at RB if needed.

oh really? I just assumed he was Percy Harvin (could only play slot WR/RB and was fantastic from 0-15 yards from the LOS but terrible otherwise)

This needed to happen, but it is unfortunate how Stewart's career panned out.  One of the best athletes at his position (5'10 235lbs, better vert and 40 than Fournette while being freakishly strong).  Unfortunately spent so many seasons either plagued by injury, rotating with another back, or having to operate in a scheme that didn't fit him at all.

I'm not sure how much he has left.  The explosiveness isn't there anymore.  But he was always a class act here.

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Has there ever been such a mediocre RB have such a prolonged career with one team?  I mean I get that he was drafted into a weird situation with Deangelo Williams already on the roster, but look as these career stats for Stewart:

- He averaged more than 5.0 rushing yards in a season only twice, and  4.5+ only 4 times. 

Kevin Faulk. Patriots. 

5 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

This has Buffalo written all over it.

They just hosted Chris Ivory for a visit + McDermott and our GM were both in Carolina when J stew was the back there. 

I would not be surprised to see us sign him and back up Shady. 

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Buffalo.  Feel like Stewart probably actually has a bit more left to give in a backup/depth role than Ivory at least.  Both guys have pretty much lost any semblance of explosiveness though.  Would think it might make sense to roll with a rookie there, but if there are only so many picks to go around for various needs...and who knows what sort of draft ammunition they might need to go QB chasing.  Obviously planning to roll with Shady as a real workhorse in any case.

4 hours ago, BringinDaPain said:

No McCaffrey wont be the every down back, world is that if Crowell becomes available we may go after him. If not we will get someone in the draft.

Makes sense.  Would imagine they'll want to continue to expand McCaffrey's role a little bit, given the premium they paid to get him...but expanding it into every down back territory isn't likely to go very well.  Need a solid counterpart to handle the more mundane chain moving stuff.

On 28/02/2018 at 5:10 PM, MKnight82 said:

Had never realized his stats were so pedestrian....

Archived