AJ McCarron Is he capable of starting in the NFL???

Iamcanadian

I believe McCarron can be a solid game manager as a starter in the NFL. He has all the ingredients except a real solid arm!

Everytime Cinny was forced to use him, he has produced and I think some QB desperate team will sign him as their starter, maybe Buffalo or Arizona or even Denver, if they cannot draft somebody worthwhile???

Is he capable? I'd say yes. 

But I also believe he would be one of those bottom tier starters always fighting to not be replaced, and not always by higher quality players. Starter/bridge type is probably his ceiling, but he certainly isn't going to be a franchise type guy. 

The problem with Buffalo, Arizona, and Denver being landing spots for him is that they are all in reasonably good positions to move up and take a guy in the draft.

Buffalo replacing Taylor with McCarron would be a wash at best.

Arizona might work, but I wouldn't call McCarron that much of an upgrade from Drew Stanton who would be much cheaper to keep. Further, Arizona needs to focus on finding a franchise QB, not another placeholder. They've had almost 15 years of pretty good luck between snagging Warner and Palmer as veteran bridge guys that rebounded in big ways in the desert, but never finished their bridge. Settling on signing another veteran, one without the skills of Warner or Palmer, would just keep them stuck in neutral. In a division with Wilson, Jimmy G, and Goff, McCarron would be the 4th best BY FAR. Arizona's roster overall is probably the 2nd best in the division and they need a quarterback to match.

Denver has a pretty good roster as well. Highest draft position of the 3 named. And I'm not sold on McCarron being that big of an upgrade over Siemian or Brock or Lynch. Lynch is still a relative unknown, Brock is a spot starter backup, Siemian is probably darn near identical to McCarron in terms of upside all things considered. I'd risk taking the reigns off of Lynch over signing McCarron to just keep an already hot seat warm. 

But these are also just my takes.

27 minutes ago, Danger said:

He's capable of starting. If by starting you mean just being another name in a long list of QBs the Browns think are good that really aren't what so ever. (i.e. no)

Pretty much this. Is he capable of taking a snap under center at the start of a game...sure. But i dont think he is good enough to be a long-term solution at QB

If you don't have an elite QB you need an elite, maybe even historical, defense if you want to win a championship(or units playing at an elite level for a postseason run).

If you have that type of defense, then sure, I think McCarron is capable of not screwing it up.  If you don't have that type of defense, then sure, McCarron can QB your team to a mediocre at best record.  If your team sucks everywhere, then no, McCarron isn't going to make you competitive.  If that's starter quality, then McCarron is a capable starter.  I don't really see the value in it though.  Except maybe if your team's other option is Deshone Kizer and you just finished 0-16.

No.  He's not a capable starter.  He might be good enough and have the right "safe" game manager mentality to serve as a stopgap/placeholder for some team with no real immediate winning aspirations.  Maybe as the guy a team throws out there as a sacrificial lamb to start a season while they give their rookie a while to acclimatize and learn.  But if you're talking about starting AJ McCarron, especially for an entire year, your season isn't going anywhere but towards a high draft pick.  Which i wouldn't characterize as "capable" starter.  You'd be immediately looking to replace him at earliest convenience, same as any other inadequate or non-capable faux starter.

He's Brock Osweiler/Mike Glennon - a backup who looked OK in spot duty as a backup. Teams will incorrectly correlate that into some potential to be something more, so they'll spend a moderate amount to get him, only to look for ways out once they realize he's not that good when he's gameplanned against. 

I do not think anybody really knows what he is at this point? He deserves a shot to prove it one way or another and he will probably get it this year. He could really surprise or he could just be a below average QB, we won't know till he gets a real shot at starting???

Archived