AJ McCarron Is he capable of starting in the NFL???

Iamcanadian

3 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I do not think anybody really knows what he is at this point? He deserves a shot to prove it one way or another and he will probably get it this year. He could really surprise or he could just be a below average QB, we won't know till he gets a real shot at starting???

Thank you.  I don't know how anyone can say with any amount of confidence what he is.  He's started something like 4 games, 2 years ago.  It takes a lot longer than that to evaluate QB's. 

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I do not think anybody really knows what he is at this point? He deserves a shot to prove it one way or another and he will probably get it this year. He could really surprise or he could just be a below average QB, we won't know till he gets a real shot at starting???

You're right, but then that answers your question and there's no point asking us what he is.

I watched every throw he made when he had the chance to start a couple of years ago. He's not good. Either doesn't trust his arm or doesn't see the field very well. 

He can be effective as a spot-starter in the right system but not as a long-term option unless he improves considerably.

On 3/1/2018 at 8:39 PM, Starless said:

I watched every throw he made when he had the chance to start a couple of years ago. He's not good. Either doesn't trust his arm or doesn't see the field very well. 

He can be effective as a spot-starter in the right system but not as a long-term option unless he improves considerably.

Disagree with you completely . 

49 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

He's barley started ... you can't really judge him . Give a qb atleast 8 games man.

The fact that he hasn't been given those 8 games should tell you something though.

A QB that has been in the league and sitting the bench for 5 years behind another average at best QB is usually a pretty good sign that even the coaches that see him on a daily basis agree with those of us with serious doubts.    

14 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

He's barley started ... you can't really judge him . Give a qb atleast 8 games man.

I didn't say he couldn't possibly become good in the future. I said that based on his existing tape, I wouldn't give him the reins to a franchise. That's assuming the problem with him at the moment is that he doesn't see the field very well. That's a correctable issue. If it's that he doesn't trust his arm, then I don't think that can be overcome.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:18 AM, Dashing202 said:

That's a nice sentiment, but the reality is...that argument rests largely on a somewhat absurd notion that basically everyone has shown enough to deserve at least an 8 game NFL audition.  Which isn't the case.

When it comes to this sort of thing, you have to evaluate and project based on the information available.  Which includes plenty of college tape, scouting info, preseason action, and yes...the actual honest to goodness NFL games McCarron has gotten himself into.  When you start looking at all of that stuff together, no...it's not 8 NFL starts...but it's still a pretty big sample of AJ McCarron looking like exactly what he is.  Same strengths, but also the same pretty glaring weaknesses and inadequacies that suggest he's not likely destined to be a quality NFL starting quarterback.  The same things that led to his projection as a future career NFL backup and expert clipboard holder, have still been on full display in his time at the NFL level.

38 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

That's a nice sentiment, but the reality is...that argument rests largely on a somewhat absurd notion that basically everyone has shown enough to deserve at least an 8 game NFL audition.  Which isn't the case.

When it comes to this sort of thing, you have to evaluate and project based on the information available.  Which includes plenty of college tape, scouting info, preseason action, and yes...the actual honest to goodness NFL games McCarron has gotten himself into.  When you start looking at all of that stuff together, no...it's not 8 NFL starts...but it's still a pretty big sample of AJ McCarron looking like exactly what he is.  Same strengths, but also the same pretty glaring weaknesses and inadequacies that suggest he's not likely destined to be a quality NFL starting quarterback.  The same things that led to his projection as a future career NFL backup and expert clipboard holder, have still been on full display in his time at the NFL level.

KIrk cousins had about 7 games before he turned good . Intact in 2015 he was just pretty average and nothing special until after we came back and beat the buccaneers .

you gotta give guys time I mean he shown some potential . Keenum just had a probowl type of year and the last few years looked mediocre .

On 2/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, Jlowe22 said:

If you don't have an elite QB you need an elite, maybe even historical, defense if you want to win a championship(or units playing at an elite level for a postseason run).

If you have that type of defense, then sure, I think McCarron is capable of not screwing it up.  If you don't have that type of defense, then sure, McCarron can QB your team to a mediocre at best record.  If your team sucks everywhere, then no, McCarron isn't going to make you competitive.  If that's starter quality, then McCarron is a capable starter.  I don't really see the value in it though.  Except maybe if your team's other option is Deshone Kizer and you just finished 0-16.

Did the Eagles have a historically great defense? Didn't they give up almost 500 yards in the Superbowl?

We all know Nick Foles isn't an elite QB.

Archived