The Dorsey, Wolf and Highsmith Philosophy

Aztec Hammer

I saw something earlier that I thought was very interesting and relevant to us.

What exactly are the draft philosophies of those heading up the charge for us this year?

Apparently these are some of the core principles:

The three P's

- Prototype. Performance. Production. All three guys come from a scouting system principled on those three things. On field performance is critical, of course, but measurables are a large part of the evaluation. They like the player to fit a prototype with regards to measurables for the position.

Injury Grades and Character Grades

- Ron Wolf, the father of Elliot, strongly believed in having separate grades for injury and character, alongside the actual football performance grade. Could this factor into the evaluations of Rosen (injury) and Mayfield (character)?

Building for the Division

- Ron Wolf also believed in building for your division. After Randy Moss went to the Vikings, he drafted a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round DB. You see this philosophy deep into the coaching tree. Cold weather requiring a good sized, strong QB as evidenced in Favre, Mahomes and Rodgers. 

Identifying a strength, and building on it

- Something else you see abundant in the coaching/scouting tree. Schneider at Seattle, long, physical DBs. Dorsey at the Chiefs, running the ball consistently and having a disruptive secondary.

These are some of the core principles that you can find within our front office. Do they give you any feeling or hint of who we might target in the draft and who we might avoid?

All I know is Hue uttered the dreaded words that it would be a "total collective effort" with drafting a QB and about 4-6 different guys would have input, including Hue, Dorsey, Haley, and the new consultant that they have.

If you put all 3 together, Darnold would be the guy (Prototype size, good athlete, can make every throw, 2 PAC 12 Titles), and then Rosen/Mayfield would be close at #2/#3 due to not being prototypical (size for Mayfield with potential character) or injury concerns/potential attitude for Rosen, and Allen doesn't have close to the production category checked.

The injury grade could certainly be an issue for Rosen. Perhaps even more so when you consider the 'building for your division' philosophy and how the AFC North is notoriously violent on QBs.

The character grade could certainly apply to Rosen too, but possibly more so for Mayfield. I just watched Albert Breer of the mmqb say that he knows for a fact that Mayfield rubbed some people the wrong way at the Senior Bowl. He was the same fiery, teetering on the edge guy that you saw on the sidelines in college and apparently approached teams with a take it or leave it demeanour.

Darnold checks the boxes for injury and character, but you just wonder if his unwillingness to throw at the Combine does anything to change this. According to Hue, it does not.

Josh Allen worries me. He checks the injury and character boxes. He checks the 'prototype', at least in terms of measurables, with flying colours. Giant hands, rocket arm, big body, athletic. He is 'built for the division' from a size and physical ability standpoint.

He can't hit the broad side of a barn. Hopefully this matters to the front office. 'Performance and Production' are just not there.

Also, Saquon Barkley absolutely nails the front office philosophy test.

With one debatable catch. Does he fit the AFC North? As in, do they believe he runs with the necessary power and toughness generally required for this division.

Because from the three P's standpoint, injury and character... he is perfect.

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I think the power running aspect is needed for he afc north is over played a bit. There are certainly backs not considered power running backs who would do well no matter what division they’re in, to me Barkley is one of those guys

True 

I think Guice checking in at 224 fits the prototype as well 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

All I know is Hue uttered the dreaded words that it would be a "total collective effort" with drafting a QB and about 4-6 different guys would have input, including Hue, Dorsey, Haley, and the new consultant that they have.

If you put all 3 together, Darnold would be the guy (Prototype size, good athlete, can make every throw, 2 PAC 12 Titles), and then Rosen/Mayfield would be close at #2/#3 due to not being prototypical (size for Mayfield with potential character) or injury concerns/potential attitude for Rosen, and Allen doesn't have close to the production category checked.

Where does an owner pounding the table with an ultimatum come into play here?

3 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I think the power running aspect is needed for he afc north is over played a bit. There are certainly backs not considered power running backs who would do well no matter what division they’re in, to me Barkley is one of those guys

Yeah every NFL team builds their lines for pass protection now so the AFCN is only different in regards to weather. Collins, Bernard and Bell were each of the other team's most productive runners and none of them are really power backs, Bell can be that at times but is more of a multipurpose back. 3 yards and a cloud of dust days are gone. It's now 3 yards and then pass, pass.

5 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Josh Allen worries me. He checks the injury and character boxes. He checks the 'prototype', at least in terms of measurables, with flying colours. Giant hands, rocket arm, big body, athletic. He is 'built for the division' from a size and physical ability standpoint.

He can't hit the broad side of a barn. Hopefully this matters to the front office. 'Performance and Production' are just not there.

Agree 100% Some people ( not me) think Lamar Jackson should switch to WR, if that’s true the Allen even more so should switch to TE. 

I rate Jackson as a late first early second round prospect. I have Allen as a mid round prospect at best

6 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

These are some of the core principles that you can find within our front office. Do they give you any feeling or hint of who we might target in the draft and who we might avoid?

I find this somewhat comforting if they will be true to it and Hueball/Haslam don't screw-up FA and draft decisions.

I mean those two were wiling to give up a 2 and a 3 for McCarron.

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

And what if the "total collective effort" is among 4-6 opinions as divergent as those in this forum or a tie?

Haslam to the rescue?

A principle-based structure that is adhered to would be essential to prevent that and when applied to the QB to pick at #1 would indicate that the selection would be Darnold.

Archived