Men's fashion

sunnygsm

On the subject of suits - I would always suggest the following:

• Navy Blue suits are the equivalent of the womans' "little black dress". You can pair it with a cream shirt, brown belt and shoes (ALWAYS match shoes to belt) skip the tie and you have a simple, classic outfit that works in most settings. You can also pair it with a navy blue shirt (black tie/shoes) to pair for a more formal setting.
  • Charcoal grey is a good option for a business setting - I've personally paired it with a white shirt and black tie with a silver tie clip, with black belt/shoes. Simple yet effective.
  • During the summer, I'll lean towards a cream color suit with a white shirt, brown belt/shoes. Works well for me in the hot summer, but I can see this as something not quite en vogue with all. Not necessarily something I'd wear to a work presentation, but a celebration like a wedding or milestone birthday or retirement party? Works.
  • I have a black suit that I like a lot - I've paired it with a checkerboard red/white shirt with an all red tie. Really popped the whole outfit out, the shirt/tie combo against the black suit. I have a navy blue shirt and a checkerboard blue tie as well, been thinking of putting that together.
  • Ties - assemble the colors to match the shirt has always been my strategy. Invest in a few tie clips as well; Nothing can ruin a good setup like a tie flopping around underneath your jacket. Also, tie the tie to where the end of the tie lies EXACTLY at your belt buckle. Too long, you look like a goofy HS principal. Too short, you look like someone else tied it for you. I prefer a double Windsor knot, but see what looks best around your neck. If you don't know how to tie one, check out YouTube. You'll learn in about 5 minutes max.
  • Pinstripes should be barely visible - I'm talking somebody should only see the stripes when you're within a foot or two from you. Too big/bold stripes and you look like a pimp.

That's all I can think of now. Not a stylist by any means, but I've been in plenty of meetings with ultra successful sales people, VPs, Directors of Products, high ranking government officials - you can always spot those who planned out their look days in advance, and they're the ones who control the room.

• Like 1

Just now, sunnygsm said:

Haven't gotten around to getting my first made to measure suit. I've heard suitsupply are great for quality suits at affordable prices. Unfortunately there isn't a store anywhere near me. 

Has anyone tried Indochino? I keep getting ads for them, and a custom suit sounds awesome, but I really question the quality at that price.

30 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

On the subject of suits - I would always suggest the following:

• Navy Blue suits are the equivalent of the womans' "little black dress". You can pair it with a cream shirt, brown belt and shoes (ALWAYS match shoes to belt) skip the tie and you have a simple, classic outfit that works in most settings. You can also pair it with a navy blue shirt (black tie/shoes) to pair for a more formal setting.

I've had maybe 7-8 suits in my adult life, and NEVER a navy blue. I've always gotten black/grey.  

Maybe it is because I never can feel good about the brown belt/shoes with blue/grey suit combo. Always black shoes/belt. 

I just can't picture a scenario where I would buy a navy suit. I don't doubt it looks great on some guys, but for me.... I just can't do it. Maybe I'm just weird. I love medium grey suits.

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I've had maybe 7-8 suits in my adult life, and NEVER a navy blue. I've always gotten black/grey.  

Maybe it is because I never can feel good about the brown belt/shoes with blue/grey suit combo. Always black shoes/belt. 

I just can't picture a scenario where I would buy a navy suit. I don't doubt it looks great on some guys, but for me.... I just can't do it. Maybe I'm just weird. I love medium grey suits.

Grey is perfectly acceptable - including my charcoal grey, I have a light grey suit I wear pretty frequently, actually.

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I wear suits every day and I can vouch for pretty much everything @EliteTexan80 just said. Although not sure about "cream" shirts? 

Cream/off white works best for my skin tone. I used to wear suits on a daily basis but my new company is super casual - jeans every day, and shorts/flip flops over the summer.9_9

I'm in the middle of trying to build muscle, so I'm waiting to reach my goal before I get my next suit. I do plan on aiming for a navy blue and Grey suit next.

My fashion style is pretty solid in the fall/winter, but weak during the summer. lol

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

I look tight as hell in a suit. Outside of that I'd say my style is largely non offensive 

I really don't stand out suit wise because of how basic I keep it. I'm changing that up though. I'm a writer in the film industry and have attended some some film festivals that held red carpet events. I need to dress better on the red carpet. The last event I went to, I just wore light grey pants, white button down, and grey tie. That was it.

3 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I feel like where I live just isn't suited to summer fashion unless it's one of those true summer sunshine days. Those have been a little scattered this year. 

What are peoples thoughts on Chelsea boots? 

c-5giKAzyszb4_qJ09obCB_D9wxzBytZ0Rbt0Bl4

Amazing

My Common Projects are one of my go-to's