Green Bay Packers: More Wisconsin Badgers on the Way in the 2018 NFL Draft?

Bob Fox

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You become attached to them in college and thus you want to root for them in the NFL, it's pretty easy to grasp.

Why do you root for the Packers players at the Pro Bowl?

I'm a big Gators fan but typically end up hating them as prospects except Lord Tebow

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What is the infatuation of having Wisconsin players on the Packers' roster?

The only "infatuation" I've ever seen was last years drooling over TJ Watts - which was fairly intense. As far as the article goes, it comes down to a simple equation: Pettine's connection with Leonard MAY lead to some defensive players getting nabbed by the GBPs. Thats about it.

People have been kvetching about "why doesn't Green Bay draft more Badgers" for a lot longer than "Just last year".  It's just that the younger Watt was the first time in a while that a high profile Wisconsin player probably would have been a reasonable pick that the Packers could have made at the time.

I mean, I remember people holding it against Robert Ferguson that he was drafted instead of Wisconsin WR Chris Chambers.

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

think it's driven by the fact that Wisconsin newspapers serve both Packer fans and Badger fans (there not being any other football teams at their respective levels in the state).  So a column can appeal to both by speculating that these are two great tastes that taste great together, even if it makes no football sense.  After all there's really no benefit to "draft the local kid" besides PR and ticket sales stuff, which isn't really a concern here.

What is that like?

On 3/3/2018 at 6:46 PM, Leader said:

The only "infatuation" I've ever seen was last years drooling over TJ Watts - which was fairly intense. As far as the article goes, it comes down to a simple equation: Pettine's connection with Leonard MAY lead to some defensive players getting nabbed by the GBPs. Thats about it.

It seems like year after year, there's a handful of fans who want the Packers to draft any halfway decent Bagers.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

He (Fumagalli)  is the most awkward looking guy on the hoof you can imagine. He looks like he just had a growth spurt the way he moves..........................he's never quick, but effective enough.

Yeah he is one Badger I'll pass on. As a Badger fan I loved the guy, but I don't see too much special about him as an athlete. I don't think he will be as successful in the league as Tanner McEvoy has been. 

8 hours ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Yeah he is one Badger I'll pass on. As a Badger fan I loved the guy, but I don't see too much special about him as an athlete. I don't think he will be as successful in the league as Tanner McEvoy has been. 

McEvoy is one player I'm sorry we didn't pursue as an UDFA.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It seems like year after year, there's a handful of fans who want the Packers to draft any halfway decent Bagers.

Could be - which is one of the benefits of not following college football microscopically close. If a fan says we should get this guy or that - there's a good chance I wont know what college he's played for. You know what they say: ignorance is bliss :D

On 3/3/2018 at 4:03 PM, Packerraymond said:

You become attached to them in college and thus you want to root for them in the NFL, it's pretty easy to grasp.

Why do you root for the Packers players at the Pro Bowl?

Lol wut.  I root for them not to get injured after the fact since I don't watch?

This won't be a popular opinion, but I'd chalk it more up to people wanting to root for people who come from backgrounds that they understand since it makes them more comfortable than backgrounds they don't understand or know about.

55 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Lol wut.  I root for them not to get injured after the fact since I don't watch?

This won't be a popular opinion, but I'd chalk it more up to people wanting to root for people who come from backgrounds that they understand since it makes them more comfortable than backgrounds they don't understand or know about.

I don't get why this is so hard to grasp. It has nothing to do with backgrounds. Melvin Gordon was a city kid from Kenosha, TJ Watt grew up in suburban Pewaukee, James White is a FL kid. You have three different backgrounds, WI fans still love them all.

It is nothing more than the fact you get attached to them as college players because you root for them on your favorite team, just like when Packers fans watch the Pro Bowl, they root for the guys in gold helmets.

I'm sure LSU fans love when their players end up on the Saints and Seattle fans when they draft a Husky. You become attached to them in college, so it's easy to do the same in the NFL.

Archived