Yearly expansion draft game

vannzee

I ask this every year and figured I would ask again this year...

What if there was an NFL Expansion Draft this off-season? Which five players would your team leave exposed to the new franchise.

While it is easy to select your five worst players, typically an expansion features attempts at dumping large contracts. 

Also, history says, that it has been common for teams to work out agreements to see a player selected or not selected either with draft picks or like in the Texans Expansion Draft where the Jets left lineman Ryan Young unprotected if the Texans also selected Aaron Glenn. 

Have fun.

I'll only list players who are likely to be on the roster after the first round of cuts, so no Julius Thomas etc.

MIAMI DOLPHINS

DE Andre Branch - Decent starter but played through injuries last season. $10m cap hit in 2018 (no out) and $9m in 2019.

LB Kiko Alonso - Given a bad contract last offseason after a mirage 2016. Injuries sapped athleticism. Could be cut cheaply in 2019 but will count almost $10m against the cap in 2018.

TE MarQueis Gray - 3rd TE / H-back, FA after 2018. Plays special teams.

CB Tony Lippett - Was on a promising developmental arc as a boundary corner before rupturing his Achilles before the start of 2017. 2018 is the last year on his rookie deal. Started to flash consistent talent and could well be a quality starting boundary corner for someone.

DT Ndamukong Suh - Still an elite top 2-3 3-tech. Whopping $26m cap hit in 2018. Dolphins are deep at DT and this salary dump accelerates getting them out of their currently hellish cap situation.

Eagles

WR Torrey Smith - Could just be cut, but not doing enough for what he's paid, did show up in the post season run though.
TE Brent Celek - Will either be cut or retired (33 years old), was basically the 3rd TE by the end of the season and is making $5 Million per year right now. Has only 28 catches in his last 35 games.
S Rodney McLeod - Making too much for his level of play, Would be a salary dump that isn't as friendly if we just cut him outright.
G Chance Warmack - Not worth a darn, 4th best Guard on our team and just all around bad player.
RB Wendell Smallwood - Not a bad player just never really was in our grand plan.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Eagles

WR Torrey Smith - Could just be cut, but not doing enough for what he's paid, did show up in the post season run though.
TE Brent Celek - Will either be cut or retired (33 years old), was basically the 3rd TE by the end of the season and is making $5 Million per year right now. Has only 28 catches in his last 35 games.
S Rodney McLeod - Making too much for his level of play, Would be a salary dump that isn't as friendly if we just cut him outright.
G Chance Warmack - Not worth a darn, 4th best Guard on our team and just all around bad player.
RB Wendell Smallwood - Not a bad player just never really was in our grand plan.

You forgot about Vinny Curry B|

21 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I honestly don’t know who I’d pick for the Bills.

The three i have in mind are Charles Clay, Cordy Glenn, and Jerry Hughes. 

Hughes will likely be cut, and i didn’t include Tyrod in this situation because it’d be easier to just cut him then to expose him and risk him not getting picked up.

But why not put Tyrod up there?  Tyrod getting picked or traded gives an additional $10 million of cap space rather than cutting him.

Hmmm...

- CB Kareem Jackson would be on the list, as he's sharply declined over the past few seasons.

- TE CJ Fidorowitz is a "Tony Boselli" add to the group. He's got significant concussion issues, on a contract he probably doesn't deserve (even before the injury) and we'd love to see someone take that money off of our books.

- RT Derek Newton is another Tony Boselli. 

- RG Jeff Allen was a horrendous signing overall, so would be best to walk away from the contract.

- WR Braxton Miller is simply not developing. You'd probably keep him because he's cheap labor who will play ST, but Miller leaving is perfectly fine.

From the Lions I would say...

HB Ameer Abdullah- Slightly expensive, hasnt played as well as expected. Similar to Theo Riddick, gotta expect the Lions to pursue an upgrade.

OT Corey Robinson- Backup, expendable.

HB DeWayne Washington- Can play special teams, was passed up by Tion Green late in the season.

WR TJ Jones- He showed flashes but it sounds like the Lions already plan to move on this offseason.

One of Akeem Spence/Cornelius Washington- Camp hits dont match their role or production.

Archived