Combine Press Conference Discussion

BStanRamFan

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok so can we agree that Watkins plays the “DeSean Jackson” role in McVay offense? In Washington with McVay as OC, DeSean had no more than 100 targets 56 catches and 6tds. What made DeSean special was his yards per catch which was usually between 17.6 and 20.9 in this 3 seasons with McVay. Well Watkins is the king of yards per catch. Again only Hilton has the best yards per catch average than Watkins since coming into the league. I watched a lot of Rams games and so did you, Goff missed Watkins barely on plenty of targets. That can be corrected with gaining more chemistry over the offseason and getting more comfortable in the offense. Another quality DeSean had was everyone knew and respected him as a deep ball threat. Players, coaches, and teams know and respect Watkins in that same way. So while again I get why some think the Rams can get the production Watkins gave them last season with almost any other receiver, I think people are under selling Watkins talent and it’s not just the offensive system. Like Watkins was a few deep ball misses from having the type of season that changes people minds on the outlook of last season. No different than even with DeSean Jackson in Tampa Bay. He struggled too with his new team but I saw games where Winston barely missed him on deep balls. Had they connected on a few of them the outlook of his season would’ve been different. Like Goff never played with the type of WR like Watkins and Watkins never played in an offense like McVay or a QB like Goff. It’s an adjustment on all parties. I’d just like to see what year 2 brings with a full offseason together where solid chemistry can be developed and an offense can be installed around Watkins. You see the chemistry Goff had with Woods and Kupp. Why? Because he had OTAs, minicamp, and training camp to develop that chemistry. He didn’t with Watkins. I just would like to see him have that opportunity. I believe in Watkins to be more than his production last season when he changed teams literally weeks before the regular season started.

I'd like to see him have the opportunity too, but not for $14m+ AAV and not at the expense of losing Lamarcus Joyner to another team.  The cost/benefit just isn't there relative to how the offense performed last season versus expected regression (and expected growth if Watkins is kept) as opposed to how pivotal a spot Joyner plays in our defense at a position that is more difficult to find these days than a quality YAC receiver.

I think we can all agree we want Watkins back at a reasonable price that doesn't affect us signing other (arguably more meaningful) players. I would love to get Watkins back at a $10 mil/year deal for 3 years with $20 mil guaranteed. But it's up to him if he'd accept that deal.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'd like to see him have the opportunity too, but not for $14m+ AAV and not at the expense of losing Lamarcus Joyner to another team.  The cost/benefit just isn't there relative to how the offense performed last season versus expected regression (and expected growth if Watkins is kept) as opposed to how pivotal a spot Joyner plays in our defense at a position that is more difficult to find these days than a quality YAC receiver.

I agree on the money part and Joyner being more important. How do you feel now that trading Quinn saving money factor in the Watkins decision?

20 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree on the money part and Joyner being more important. How do you feel now that trading Quinn saving money factor in the Watkins decision?

Like I said in the Quinn thread, my feeling is this is either a legitimate attempt to try and pull off retaining at least 2 of the 3 of Tru, Watkins, and Joyner, at which point we'll likely hear relatively soon (this weekend or by Monday I'd wager, since the deadline to tag is coming up) about an extension to at least one of them.  Or... this was a necessity to clear Quinn's money off the books in order to ensure getting the Donald extension done and leaving room to address other moves they have planned for the offseason (obviously to include retaining at least one of the aforementioned three - and maybe/hopefully two).

While some (someone, at least, in the other thread) that they thought that KC not meeting the valuation we were after for Quinn in the Peters trade meant Quinn was safe, I read it as exactly the opposite: The FO, once they crunched the numbers, determined they needed to shed Quinn's cap-number and tried to work him into the Peters deal, but ended up feeling like they could get better value from trading him in a separate transaction; either way, they'd decided to part ways with him.

Obviously, I think - like most of us - the front office wants to bring back Watkins... but at the right price.  And if he does manage to hit the open market and someone offers him $14m/yr (basically making him highest-paid WR save for AB once Landry's tag is either rescinded or he signs a new deal as part of a trade), we're not matching that or probably anywhere close to it, because they planned ahead and we do have Reynolds to take up reps, and Everett who they clearly have big plans for and are expecting to expand the role of next season, and Kupp who - while his selling point was his high-floor - they'll expect some growth from, and... ultimately... the offense is going to run through the reigning and defending OPOY.

46 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Like I said in the Quinn thread, my feeling is this is either a legitimate attempt to try and pull off retaining at least 2 of the 3 of Tru, Watkins, and Joyner, at which point we'll likely hear relatively soon (this weekend or by Monday I'd wager, since the deadline to tag is coming up) about an extension to at least one of them.  Or... this was a necessity to clear Quinn's money off the books in order to ensure getting the Donald extension done and leaving room to address other moves they have planned for the offseason (obviously to include retaining at least one of the aforementioned three - and maybe/hopefully two).

While some (someone, at least, in the other thread) that they thought that KC not meeting the valuation we were after for Quinn in the Peters trade meant Quinn was safe, I read it as exactly the opposite: The FO, once they crunched the numbers, determined they needed to shed Quinn's cap-number and tried to work him into the Peters deal, but ended up feeling like they could get better value from trading him in a separate transaction; either way, they'd decided to part ways with him.

Obviously, I think - like most of us - the front office wants to bring back Watkins... but at the right price.  And if he does manage to hit the open market and someone offers him $14m/yr (basically making him highest-paid WR save for AB once Landry's tag is either rescinded or he signs a new deal as part of a trade), we're not matching that or probably anywhere close to it, because they planned ahead and we do have Reynolds to take up reps, and Everett who they clearly have big plans for and are expecting to expand the role of next season, and Kupp who - while his selling point was his high-floor - they'll expect some growth from, and... ultimately... the offense is going to run through the reigning and defending OPOY.

I take Donald extension out of the conversation because I heard that will have no impact on how the Rams approach FA because they already budget things for that. So saving 11.5m by trading Quinn I agree will go into trying to keep Tru. I think they resign Joyner and tag Watkins to try to work something out long term. If Tru price comes down some then I think they will resign him. The great thing is both Watkins and Tru love LA. Idk how Tru feels now but when the Rams wanted to trade him to NO last year he didn’t want to go because he wanted to stay in LA. That’s a plus. So creating more space along with saving a few more by trading or cutting Tavon will help in trying to keep Tru Joyner and Watkins all in the fold. Rams are trying to win now and knowing that Webster will be coming off and Achilles and won’t be fully healthy to start the season the Rams could totally use Tru being back if they could resign him. 

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

We're sitting right now at $57.25 million in cap space.

We can say whatever we want but since Snead is the GM of the Rams, he shows us that he knows how to handle contract and deal with the salary cap. 

Not every team can say that with their GM. 

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

We can say whatever we want but since Snead is the GM of the Rams, he shows us that he knows how to handle contract and deal with the salary cap. 

Not every team can say that with their GM. 

Moreso Demoff with the salary and contracts, dude's a wizard with Tony Pastoors.

12 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

take Donald extension out of the conversation because I heard that will have no impact on how the Rams approach FA because they already budget things for that.

This seems completely nonsensical. Unless everyone we are signing take 1year deals, the (massive) Donald extension will for sure have an impact on the rest of this free agency. I don’t care if they have “budgeted” it in, that still takes cash and cap out of the number being referenced 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

This seems completely nonsensical. Unless everyone we are signing take 1year deals, the (massive) Donald extension will for sure have an impact on the rest of this free agency. I don’t care if they have “budgeted” it in, that still takes cash and cap out of the number being referenced 

I’m just saying what I heard. Snead and others in the organization seems to have a good grasp on how to manage the cap well. So if they say that extending Donald will not effect FA spending because they already have a budget for it then I have no doubt in it. 

Archived