Because you’re mine, I want o line

Futbudds

So I’ve come full circle now with the o line. While I most want a difference maker for the defense in the first round and if this team is going to have any chance to get to the super bowl the D needs to make a jump but this team is dead in the water for the year with this o line. As is it looks like the only barely viable LT on the roster is Boling, which hopefully isn’t the plan going forward. At RT there’s at least some competition but I think it’s safe to say that the opening day starter isn’t on the roster. Boling is the starting left guard and I think we all agree the starting right guard CAN come from our current roster. While it would be gravy if Fisher, Hopkins, or Redmond turned into a viable starting center by the end of training camp I don’t think anyone can possibly be banking on that. 

So who’s everyone’s favorite prospects for the top three picks?

Round 1: Nelson ND, Williams UT, Brown OU, Mcglinchittingy ND, and maybe Kolton UCLA if he explodes at the combine. If Quentin Nelson falls to 12 should they just grab the best lineman in the draft?

Round 2: I don’t think Daniels or Price will be here but we can dream. Ragnow Ark, Crosby Oregon, Sutton MSU, O’neill Pitt, and maybe Okafor WMich or Winn Uga maybe at tackle.

Round 3: whoever might fall from the round two list obviously and Bozeman Ala, Clapp LSU, Richardson NCst, Jones OSU, etc.

Unless they can trade out of 12 here is my wishlist (assuming Daniels and Price are picked in the late first:

1. Brown OU - Willie Anderson type guy that is nastier than a bear in a BBQ joint. He might be able to move to the left side but will be a rock on the right for ten plus years. Less red flags/question marks than Williams or Mcglenchittychittybangbang also.

2. O’Neill Pitt - super-athletic guy that just needs some added weight/footwork seasoning. The new coordinator has to be better at getting these guys up to speed than Paulie right?

3. Best center that is there. Hopefully Ragnow. 

Who do you guys like?

14 hours ago, Futbudds said:

At RT there’s at least some competition but I think it’s safe to say that the opening day starter isn’t on the roster

I don't know about prospects, but i'd be willing to bet a small amount of money that Jake Fisher is the starting RT this year.  And i'd hedge that bet by also betting Andre Smith gets the nod.  Either way, i can't see the team replacing him when LT and C are bigger needs, and they've basically already come out and said they're not replacing Bodine at center.

As far as tackles go, I like a bunch of them, just not sure there is a guy worth 12. And l am starting to doubt there are 3 top 50 centers. There are several good interior lineman this year, so Ragnow in the 3rd isn't impossible, but I feel like he's a guy we have to take with our second if we want him.

I think Fisher is still the starting right tackle. Ideally he is the third tackle. Ready to move on from Smith. His play when healthy was not enough for me.

As long as they get an talented player who can be a potential pro bowler at whatever position i'll be happy.  When the draft is by far your main branch of talent acquisition, you can't afford to whiff on premium picks.  Oline, LB, Safety, DE, it's all good.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I don't know about prospects, but i'd be willing to bet a small amount of money that Jake Fisher is the starting RT this year.  And i'd hedge that bet by also betting Andre Smith gets the nod.  Either way, i can't see the team replacing him when LT and C are bigger needs, and they've basically already come out and said they're not replacing Bodine at center.

I like Fisher but wasn’t enamoured enough with his play before the medical emergency to give him the starting job already. Unless he’s a total beast in training camp hopefully the new coordinator gives him a chance at RG or C also.

If Mikey wasn’t such a cheapskate and had actually paid to keep big Whit (and gotten rid of Zamp two years ago) but I digress.

1 minute ago, Futbudds said:

I like Fisher but wasn’t enamoured enough with his play before the medical emergency to give him the starting job already. Unless he’s a total beast in training camp hopefully the new coordinator gives him a chance at RG or C also.

If Mikey wasn’t such a cheapskate and had actually paid to keep big Whit (and gotten rid of Zamp two years ago) but I digress.

If it were up to me, i'd replace LT, RT and C.  RG i'd actively look for competition, but it's probably #4 on the wish list for Oline.  But, i think the Bengals probably see it much differently.  I don't think they'll be actively looking to replace Fisher at RT or whoever they think they like at RG.  I think they're looking at LT seriously, and halfheartedly at C, IMO.

My ideal scenario:

-trade with Buffalo and move back adding LT Cordy Glenn (I’d even draft Orlando Brown if he’s still there)

-draft best C in 2nd round. I’ll go with Ragnow for now

Rock this look:

Glenn- Boling- Ragnow- Westerman- Brown

or if they don’t go Brown in the 1st, have Andre Smith and Fisher battle it out for RT

Any takers for Quentin Nelson if he falls to 12? Can’t tell if Tobin is blowing smoke at the combine presser or not but saying Nelson can play any spot on the line sounds like somebody might be falling in looooooove.

17 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

Any takers for Quentin Nelson if he falls to 12? Can’t tell if Tobin is blowing smoke at the combine presser or not but saying Nelson can play any spot on the line sounds like somebody might be falling in looooooove.

I think he would be strongly considered if he fell to 12. But we have a lot of LGs on this roster right now 

4 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think he would be strongly considered if he fell to 12. But we have a lot of LGs on this roster right now 

But none are so good that I'd pass on him.  Take him, move Boling to center, then grab a LT in the second

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

But none are so good that I'd pass on him.  Take him, move Boling to center, then grab a LT in the second

I think it's more likely Boling moves to LT than C.  When was the last time he played center, if ever?

EDIT: Well, it's been at least since high school, if he even played there then.  I wouldn't put any money on him moving there.  Or even being good at it.

48 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I thought Boling played C in preseason or was the backup plan before Bodine arrived?

I can't verify.  I can't find a site that tracks preseason preseason positions. 

I don't remember him playing there in a game, but i do remember one of the coaches mentioning he would be an emergency option at one point.  So maybe he practiced there once or twice.

To me, this is equivalent to moving a long time corner to safety.  Yes, it's feasible the player can make the transition, but certainly not a given.  Guys are coming at you from different angles, the technique is slightly different, and with guard->center there's the additional responsibilities of the snap and line protections.

Archived