Weigh-ins and 40 times at the Combine

Iamcanadian

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If he can/learns to throw from the pocket, he'll probably be fine and stay healthy.

If he thinks he can outrun NFL linebackers and take hits the way he did in college, he definitely won't last, especially with that average to below average frame.

He'll be just fine if he is smart about contact. He certainly can outrun NFL LB's/DE's on a regular basis with his speed and quickness as evidenced by a guy like Russell Wilson who is nowhere near as explosive as Lamar Jackson. He made improvements each season in the pocket, and often scrambled to make plays with his arm down the field this past season. He also dealt with an outmatched OL much of the season.

He should be fine with his "average" frame that is the same size or better height/weight ratio than these guys coming into the NFL: Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Case Keenum, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater (non-contact injury), Deshaun Watson (non-contact injury)

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If he can/learns to throw from the pocket, he'll probably be fine and stay healthy

You mean like this?, did you forget how bad his OL was? When he did have time he did say in the pocket and did well inside of the pocket.

Lamar-Jackson-8R-TD-vs-NC-State.gifLamar-Jackson-Open-8R-TD.gifJackson-TD2.gifc1fd1e_64e3177eb56c4198b51d318cc9ff1a96~

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You mean like this?, did you forget how bad his OL was? When he did have time he did say in the pocket and did well inside of the pocket.

Like I said above, if he CAN throw from the pocket, he'll be fine. Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I'd say that about any QB.

8 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

It was never his weight that was the concern, it is the fact that he has a very slim lower body, so it is still a red flag!!!

I'm not worried about it. I'm not penalizing a guy for being an absolutely ripped 216lbs throughout his entire body instead of adding "soft weight" to further fill out his body. If anything I'll take the solid muscular 216lbs over a softer 216lbs like many other QB's are in that weight range.

94bebb6af8d274bddcaded14bcb1cba8.jpg

Alex_Smith_QB_Utah.jpg

september-26-2015california-golden-bears

250px-Andy_Dalton.jpg

None of these guys have what I call massive lower bodies, and are guys that have been just fine in the NFL. Here's Lamar Jackson from his Sophomore year:

Lamar-Jackson-e1504718253644.jpg

There is hardly any difference in lower bodies other than Lamar looking more ripped.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I'm not worried about it. I'm not penalizing a guy for being an absolutely ripped 216lbs throughout his entire body instead of adding "soft weight" to further fill out his body. If anything I'll take the solid muscular 216lbs over a softer 216lbs like many other QB's are in that weight range.

Alex_Smith_QB_Utah.jpg

250px-Andy_Dalton.jpg

None of these guys have what I call massive lower bodies, and are guys that have been just fine in the NFL. Here's Lamar Jackson from his Sophomore year:

There is hardly any difference in lower bodies other than Lamar looking more ripped.

The point of this whole thing is that people are worried if his body type will be a detriment because of his play style. I don't think Cousins/Goff/Smith are player comps for Jackson as far as play style.

Just now, Jlash said:

The point of this whole thing is that people are worried if his body type will be a detriment because of his play style. I don't think Cousins/Goff/Smith are player comps for Jackson as far as play style.

Like I've mentioned before, it doesn't worry me as long as he is smart about the hits he takes. Taking too many unnecessary hits is going to get any QB hurt regardless of size. Ben Roethlisberger, Daunte Culpepper, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Donovan Mcnabb have all missed time due to injury from hits sustained. Regardless a guy like Steve Young 6'2" 215lbs carved out a decent career despite having the same dimensions as Lamar Jackson and being a mobile QB.

2 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

People are worried about Jackson because he's 216 and will no doubt be slicing through defenses and taking shots. Saying he's fine because he lines up with mainly pocket QB's is ignoring the whole point of the concern.

Well one thing I did notice about him is that he is plenty tough and fairly durable for how much he runs

10 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Alex_Smith_QB_Utah.jpg

250px-Andy_Dalton.jpg

Look, it isn't me who is questioning his lower body, it is scouts on NFL.com who are raising the concern. Maybe it is more of a concern with Jackson, because they know he will run with the ball a lot more than pocket passers and that is why it is a red flag for them!!!

I may not agree with the rankings of every scout on NFL.com, but I do respect their pointing out red flags, because face it, I do not get to see a prospect really close up and even if I did, I am not sure I would notice a thin lower body. Sometimes you need to hear from pro scouts especially about concerns they have about things like build, arm strength of QB's hip concerns with CB's etc. etc.

21 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

People are worried about Jackson because he's 216 and will no doubt be slicing through defenses and taking shots. Saying he's fine because he lines up with mainly pocket QB's is ignoring the whole point of the concern.

As touched upon in my previous post. Any QB that takes unnecessary hits on a regular basis regardless of size is going to have it catch up with them at some point. Lamar Jackson is no different. His size is fine for the NFL...Whether he is smart about taking hits at the NFL level is an entirely different story, but way too much is made about how big he is. 

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Like I said above, if he CAN throw from the pocket, he'll be fine. Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I'd say that about any QB.

You also said if he can "learn" how. He already knows how.

Just now, IDOG_det said:

You also said if he can "learn" how. He already knows how.

I said CAN/Learn how, meaning if he can/if he needs to learn. That completion percentage of less than 60% is a MAJOR concern. Saying that he "already knows how" is ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

At the same time you also have to recognize that, despite running a lot, he also does a good job at avoiding giant hits. He's really good at making a move at the last second to prevent the defender from squaring him up.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I said CAN/Learn how, meaning if he can/if he needs to learn. That completion percentage of less than 60% is a MAJOR concern. Saying that he "already knows how" is ridiculous.

Right you said both. I'm telling you that one of the things you said is what he disagreed with. Not hard to grasp.

And, he already knows how. Go look at the gifs @MSURacerDT55 just posted. Go read Benjamin Solak's article. Go read Charles McDonald's article. Go watch his film. He already knows how.

Archived