The Official 2018 Steelers Forum Combine Thread

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread that we could post about what we see, who like or dislike, or anything else Combine 2018 just like we do our game threads.  So if anyone has any news, comments, etc., please feel free to share. Welcome to what is unofficially titled, The Underwear Olympics!

th?id=OIP.Bx1kAJYzky2j2SleHBumZwHaE4&pid

Tomlin-Colbert-Post-2015-Draft.jpg

Kevin-Colbert-Mike-Tomlin-Steelers-Draft

usa-today-8339211.0.jpg

Colbert is pretty straight forward...he’s pretty much telegraphed the position picked last few years.

FWIW, he said ILB wasn’t particularly strong but Edge was.

ILB would seem to be more of FA route.

Another OLB high seems to be very possible.

I think we definitely have to get a starting ILB in FA. It is too complex of a position for a rookie to come in and contribute enough to win. I also think that about FS. I think we need to do all we can to sign a guy like Boston and a guy like Zach Brown. We can still draft an ILB and a FS but we shouldn't expect much out of their first years. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we definitely have to get a starting ILB in FA. It is too complex of a position for a rookie to come in and contribute enough to win.

Agreed!

I also think that about FS. I think we need to do all we can to sign a guy like Boston and a guy like Zach Brown. We can still draft an ILB and a FS but we shouldn't expect much out of their first years. 

I don't think it is a secret that Boston is on their radar.  They brought him in for a visit last year. I agree that we may double dip with ILB and FS/SS with the draft and free agency or some combo of one or the other.

I think it all depends on the type of player/who as far as contributing in the first year.  If we sign a veteran and then draft an ILB who is athletic and can play the pass, he could get significant playing time in the Nickel.  The same thing if the team signs and drafts two safeties. I could see them go with three safeties in the Nickel (Sean Davis, sign Tre Boston and draft a player like Kayzir White or Marus Allen). I would love Boston to instantly upgrade our back end pass defense.  I can't see Washington letting Brown go. I would love it if they did. I have a feeling that Timmons will be back and that isn't a sexy signing, but may be fairly valuable as a rotation/reserve.

I am not a fan of his film.  I think he will look good at the combine because his issues are when an olineman makes contact with him.  I think teams may be seeing that he will be a situational pass rusher in the NFL and they would be better drafted in the 2nd or later.  Would not fit on a 3-4 defense like the Steelers as he has zero sand in his pants. 

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

I am not a fan of his film.  I think he will look good at the combine because his issues are when an olineman makes contact with him.  I think teams may be seeing that he will be a situational pass rusher in the NFL and they would be better drafted in the 2nd or later.  Would not fit on a 3-4 defense like the Steelers as he has zero sand in his pants. 

Agreed to an extent. His size is a concern but he's listed at 6'3" 250 which is sufficient tho not ideal. I wanna see what his official Height/weight is. While he'll need to improve upon his Pass Rush moves, he has a nice burst and bend which TO ME is harder to coach than any other Pass Rushing moves. As far as spending a 1st rdr on him, I have more of an issue of having to spend another 1st on an OLB than using it on the player (Landry) himself. 

1 hour ago, August4th said:

steelers been meeting with tight ends

Very happy to hear this, hope they draft an athletic vertical Y type TE. I'm not sold on any TE on the roster. Not sure Vance and can stay healthy, but is productive when he is. I think JJ is a very good TE2 but just an okay TE1 and for 3 years now I keep thinking Grimble will break out, which clearly isn't gonna happen. Also takes pressure off the WR's and Bell to have an added element like an athletic TE.

Just due diligence on the TEs if someone falls ridiculously far...just like they’ve met with rudolph and Jackson at qb.

TE might be a need in 2019 but with Colbert openly stating he was looking forward to Macdonald having a full offseason with the team, him and JJ are more than fine for this season.

11 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Just due diligence on the TEs if someone falls ridiculously far...just like they’ve met with rudolph and Jackson at qb.

TE might be a need in 2019 but with Colbert openly stating he was looking forward to Macdonald having a full offseason with the team, him and JJ are more than fine for this season.

If Dallas Goedert is available in Rd. 2, do you take him??

Archived