The Official 2018 Steelers Forum Combine Thread

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Really torn on who i would want more. Vander Esch or Evans

Been my exact thoughts for the last 24 hours or so. Watching LVE film vs Oregon really makes you like him though. He tested very well too, but I think I'm going to hold my judgement until after Bama's pro day on Wednesday. I wasn't really all over this LVE hype train until recently, however I wouldn't be mad with either at 28

Josh Jackson lacks the technique to backpedal properly and looked lost and uncomfortable.  Will that make teams over think his abilities and the fact that he is a one year wonder make teams guess too much?   Possibly could see him at pick 28.

Combine fast guys who don't play as fast as they timed worry me.  Anyone can run fast but can you carry those pads & equipment for an hour or two and play at the same speed?  Wonder why LVE didn't look as fast on film?  Because he doesn't trust his eyes yet.  When I hear people say "instinctive" I laugh>:( 

Like when Deion saw Apke run fast and blurted out the stereotype, it pissed me off.  Zirlein (sp) called out Edmunds for lack of instincts but Vander Esch is the same type of player who lacks instincts.  Those clowns were entertaining, in a weird sort of way.

Nyheim Hines was a WR before becoming a RB so route running won't be a weakness.  We have a similar player in Justin Thomas.

Daron Payne would be a dream pick.  Where would he play?  Depends on who is better between him and Hargrave. 

Would Calvin Ridley's age, he'll turn 24 as a rookie, scare teams away and would you want him as a Steeler?

Armsteeled nailed that fist half. The combine makes you go look again when you see LVEs time and go “huh, didn’t look like that”. Same with JJ; you see him struggle and go what did I miss?

A guy like Evans tested like he was expected to. So you know what you saw is the real deal. You don’t have to second guess your work from film. 

I dont get the love for LVE.  I really dont. Not saying he doesn't have tools to work with, but I dont see  anything special about his game whatsoever. Might be because of the fact that outside of a few players and depth at certain positions, this is a weak draft class. I personally wouldn't consider him until our second round pick. I know he would be gone by then, but I won't be happy if we draft him at 28.

Safeties:

Terrell Edmunds  Virginia Tech  4.47 40  Impressive combination of NFL size and quick-twitch movement, he can be had in the 3rd. While younger brother Trumaine may get the headlines in this year's draft, Terrell is a quality prospect in his own right. Edmunds has size and burst which are coveted traits at the position. He has man cover talent against big targets and should step right into a role on the coverage units for special teams. Edmunds is at his best near the line of scrimmage and has eventual starter potential, but inconsistencies as an open field tackler may be a cause for concern in some NFL war rooms.

James Derwin  Florida St.  4.47 40  Possesses the desired physical traits and mental makeup of an All-Pro safety who has the ability to not only set a tone but change the course of games. Although James is extremely athletic and talented, he still has room for improvement as a run defender and in coverage. James' talent is best utilized in an active, attacking capacity in a robber role or near the line of scrimmage where he can support the run, blitz and handle physical coverage responsibilities.

Marcus Allen  Penn State  DNR 40  Allen is a punishing, downhill banger with good size and the attitude of a linebacker in run support. He's a little limited in terms of his lateral movement and agility and is at his best when allowed to flow downhill. Tape appears to show a lack of long speed and range in coverage and he could see his draft stock take a hit if he runs poorly when tested. Allen's game is a little limited, but he has the toughness and tackle production of a future starter who does his best work near the line of scrimmage.

Deshon Elliott  Texas  4.58 40  Elliott has good size and is a physical defender who will need to play near the line of scrimmage to take advantage of his aggressiveness and minimize his athletic limitations. Scouts say he loves the game including the work that goes into it so he has a good shot of sticking on a roster as a backup strong safety with immediate coverage ability on kickoffs and punts. His draft stock will be tied heavily to his Combine workout.

Ronnie Harrison  Alabama  DNR 40  Combination safety with all the size and athletic traits you could hope for in a safety. Harrison is a fluid athlete with few athletic limitations and has the ability to fit into a variety of defensive schemes. His penchant for flying in shoulder first will need to get cleaned or risk giving up missed tackles and big plays. Harrison's physical approach and urgency in run support gives him a chance to start early, but his potential in coverage and athletic ability give him a chance to become a Pro Bowler.

Justin Reid  Stanford  4.4 40  He's a plus size/speed prospect who has the athletic ability to help with man coverage and the instincts and ball skills for ball-hawking duties on the back end. Reid can get himself into some trouble when he's overly aggressive, but his positive plays far outweigh the negative. He has the talent to become an early starter and a good one. Reid's instincts and play traits should make him a safe selection with Pro Bowl potential down the road.

Kyzin White  WVU  DNR 40  Gift wrapped, NFL-ready frame with good length and well-distributed musculation. Like his brothers who also attended West Virginia, White was a late bloomer who was lightly recruited and began his journey at Lackawanna Junior College. Despite being a JUCO transfer, White has become a highly-respected team leader who leads by example with his fearless, physical play. Teams are looking to transition him into a hybrid role with the ability to cover tight ends like a safety and support the run like a linebacker. While he's nothing special as an athlete, his competitiveness and play-demeanor should earn him a spot as a starter.

Cornerbacks:

Jaire Alexander  Louisville  4.38 40  Twitchy and quick, Alexander is an instinctive cornerback with the ability to anticipate routes and the quickness to close on throws and make plays on the ball. He tape in 2017 was uneven due to issues with a sprained knee which could raise concerns over his durability considering his slender build. When healthy, he has the potential to become a second cornerback, but teams may view him as a full time nickel cornerback who is able to avoid the rigors of excessive run support.

Minkah Fitzpatrick  Alabama  4.46 40  Fitzpatrick turns up the intensity level as high as it will go and and rips off the knob until the game is over. Fitzpatrick has experience as a slot cornerback, but will likely be targeted as a "do-everything" safety who can be deployed as a sub-package linebacker, a blitzer or in the slot against big receivers and move tight ends. Fitzpatrick has consistently shined since his freshman season on Alabama defenses that have been loaded with NFL talent. His versatility, football character and desire to succeed give him Pro Bowl potential and should make him an early starter.

Donte Jackson  LSU  4.32 40  Brings elite athleticism and speed to the field each game. Cover corner with below-average size, but elite speed and athleticism. Jackson lacks instincts but has rare closing burst so there will be feast-or-famine games in his future. Due to his slight frame, teams are sure to test his resolve and durability in run support. Jackson's athletic traits should ensure that he makes plenty of plays on the ball, but he'll need to develop better route recognition and focus in order to reach his full potential. Jackson should find early work as a third cornerback.

J.C. Jackson  Maryland  4.46 40  Physical, sticky puncher inside the first five yards that offers impressive route resistance from press.  Jackson is a physical cornerback with quality size and an impressive ability to challenge and disrupt in press coverage. With just two years of major college experience, Jackson is on track to continue his education at the position while likely finding a suitable match for his particular talents. He doesn't have great long speed or short-area acceleration to match routes, but he's more than capable of handling bump-and-run coverage and all forms of zone. Jackson needs to improve his ball skills, but has eventual starting talent.

Josh Jackson  Iowa  4.56 40  An all-district receiver at Texas' Lake Dallas High School, Jackson came to Iowa City thinking he would be catching passes. Turns out he was, though those passes would be coming from the opponents' quarterbacks. Jackson became a national name in 2017 by finishing as the nation's leader with eight interceptions and had mind-blowing ball-hawking season with 27 passes defensed including eight interceptions. He earned first-team AP All-American and first-team All-Big Ten honors as a 13-game starter with 48 tackles, a forced fumble, and a blocked kick.

Tarvarus McFadden  Florida St.  4.67 40  Press corner with long arms and disruptive qualities but lacking in foot quickness and makeup speed. McFadden put together a highlight reel of impressive interceptions with NFL-caliber ball skills, but his ball production dropped sharply this year. McFadden has cover talent and makes life miserable for receivers when he's contesting catches, but inconsistencies in coverage and as a tackler have hurt his team. He has starting level talent as a bump-and-run corner but may need help over the top.

Issiah Oliver  Colorado  4.50 40  Oliver possesses an outstanding combination of size, speed and length and those traits are highly coveted by NFL general managers. There are coverage holes in Oliver's game and he needs to play with increased toughness, but he's just scratching the surface of what his talent could allow him to do on the next level with more experience and technique work. Oliver has a high ceiling as a bump-and-run, lockdown corner, but might benefit from a limited role his rookie season.

Denzel Ward  Ohio St.  4.32 40  Ward has the experience and talent to handle duties on the outside, but his lack of play strength combined with his elite footwork might be the deciding factor for a move inside. Ward is outstanding as a mirror-and-match cornerback with great route feel who is able to maintain tight coverage around the field with good technique and pattern recognition. He should become an early starter at nickel cornerback with the talent to make an immediate impact for a defense that faces a pass-happy division foe twice per year.

3 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

I am so confused with all the love for LVE and Carter. If either one is drafted I can see all the same people complaining about them 2-3 years from now. 

As far as Carter, it depends on what you are asking him to do. As @Armsteeld2pointed out, he isn't a Pass Rusher. What he can do (and does very well) is set the edge and cover. If that's what you draft him to then a 3rd Rd is a fair "price". 

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

As far as Carter, it depends on what you are asking him to do. As @Armsteeld2pointed out, he isn't a Pass Rusher. What he can do (and does very well) is set the edge and cover. If that's what you draft him to then a 3rd Rd is a fair "price". 

I can agree with this.

Archived