Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

25 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Given the smoke of Miami being enamored by Mayfield.... If Miami called and offered Ryan Tannehill and 1.11  for 1.5 - would that be something we should consider?

I would say yes. I don't think Tannehill is as bad as some seem to. Land a QB and only move down 6 picks? Not an awful deal in my estimation. 

Just now, broncos67 said:

I would say yes. I don't think Tannehill is as bad as some seem to. Land a QB and only move down 6 picks? Not an awful deal in my estimation. 

I'd want more if they're willing to move on - they're just dumping him to get a better one. Throw in a 2019 2nd and maybe we'll start talking

2 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Given the smoke of Miami being enamored by Mayfield.... If Miami called and offered Ryan Tannehill and 1.11  for 1.5 - would that be something we should consider?

Nope.  Tannehill costs 17M, 18.5M, 19.5M then is a FA.   He might be a little better than Keenum...he might be a little worse.  But he's not any better of a value cap-wise.  And we'd just be picking later for 3 years of cap-tying $ for a non-elite guy.   Tannehill isn't a guy you trade anything for - if he hits FA, and no one else wants him, I'd certainly think about him as a 1-year stopgap vet if we have a rookie we need time to develop...but I'd also be looking at the 8-10M range that the last-guy-left-standing gets...not the 17-18M range.

I say the above as a guy who wouldn't mind Tanny if he hit FA - but not paying the cost of 5 to 11.    MIA is in cap hell, they should be paying someone to take on his contract, if they are going QB 1.11.

29 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Tannehill is another guy that’s fine as a 1 year stopgap, but consider this. Is Tannehill at $18m any better than Trevor Siemian at like $1m? 

You had me until you said Siemian.   Pretty much any option is better than Siemian now that we know what he is (or isn't).    Otherwise, though, Tannehill at 18M isn't any better than anyone else available in FA.

P.S.  Performance escalators for playing time put Siemian at 1.9M for 2018.  The nail in the coffin for why there's no way he's on our roster next year.

4 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Sure - I'm not criticizing him in the abstract. I'm speaking comparatively.

I haven't seen or read anything concrete that differentiates Allen from Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen in terms of football IQ.

Mayfield and Darnold have been lauded for their leadership, I'm not sure Allen has the clear comparative advantage in the "leadership" department  when grouped with the other three guys.

I can't speak to their off-screen work ethic or off-field (and off-camera) character - but when you sit down and list the strengths and weaknesses of each prospect compared to the other prospects in that tier, the only thing I see with Allen that distinguishes him from the other guys is his superior physical strengths.

However, his accuracy (or lack therefor) is a massive weakness that distinguishes him from the other three.

In the past, guys with this profile are bad news. 

This is fair

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You had me until you said Siemian.   Pretty much any option is better than Siemian now that we know what he is (or isn't).    Otherwise, though, Tannehill at 18M isn't any better than anyone else available in FA.

P.S.  Performance escalators for playing time put Siemian at 1.9M for 2018.  The nail in the coffin for why there's no way he's on our roster next year.

No he has a point Ryan has been injured the last two years and so has Siemian. Ryan T would of faired no better than the last two years of trevor behind this woeful oline. That said I believe they're both shell shocked. So he has a point.

19 hours ago, broncos67 said:

i always thought Tennehill was pretty good...when he was healthy and had a good supporting cast...he was pretty good for Miami. If they go Mayfield...why not flip Tannehill to us? 

21 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Mark my words, Trevor Siemian is going to have a long career in this league as a reliable backup. 

Entirely fair statement.  But he has no business being a starter.  That's all.  And that's coming from the guy who said (and still says) he was the best option to win last year out of our options.   He's too expensive to keep after 2018 though.   And because we have to keep Kelly to see if he can be a cheap backup this year, and Lynch actually costs us money to cut this year....well, he's gotta go a year early.   Especially with the near-2M savings.   Nothing personal.  Numbers squeeze.  

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Entirely fair statement.  But he has no business being a starter.  That's all.  And that's coming from the guy who said (and still says) he was the best option to win last year out of our options.   He's too expensive to keep after 2018 though.   And because we have to keep Kelly to see if he can be a cheap backup this year, and Lynch actually costs us money to cut this year....well, he's gotta go a year early.   Especially with the near-2M savings.   Nothing personal.  Numbers squeeze.  

Do you anticipate that they'd carry 3QBs? Lynch seems to be a lock, Unknown QB X will be there... and Kelly? Does he have any hope of making the 53? 

9 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Do you anticipate that they'd carry 3QBs? Lynch seems to be a lock, Unknown QB X will be there... and Kelly? Does he have any hope of making the 53? 

If we cut Lynch after June 1, then he becomes cap-neutral this year, and we take the rest of the hit next year.    I don't see us keeping both Lynch and Kelly unless we won the Cousins sweepstakes.  I do think we'll them compete for the 3rd QB spot if we go 1-year placeholder/rookie, the only way we keep both is if we are lock-stock surefire committed to our rookie starting Week 1.   Which I think only happens if it's Rosen at 80 percent probability, Darnold would be a 60 percent, no way we'd do it if it was Allen (he'd need a year-long vet to stay with us, even if he's a backup).   

Kelly vs. Lynch as a camp battle for a roster spot barring a Rosen draft is almost a lock IMO.

I don't think that we will go into the season with our three QBs being Lynch, Kelly and a rookie we draft in the top of the first round, that's too much youth. If we don't get Cousins, I still think we will sign a veteran, hopefully a Josh McCown / Ryan Fitzpatrick type short-term backup. Such an scenario would lead to Lynch and Kelly battling for a roster spot. 

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If we cut Lynch after June 1, then he becomes cap-neutral this year, and we take the rest of the hit next year.    I don't see us keeping both Lynch and Kelly unless we won the Cousins sweepstakes.  I do think we'll them compete for the 3rd QB spot if we go 1-year placeholder/rookie, the only way we keep both is if we are lock-stock surefire committed to our rookie starting Week 1.   Which I think only happens if it's Rosen at 80 percent probability, Darnold would be a 60 percent, no way we'd do it if it was Allen (he'd need a year-long vet to stay with us, even if he's a backup).   

Kelly vs. Lynch as a camp battle for a roster spot barring a Rosen draft is almost a lock IMO.

Agree with this (and AAA's post as well). I don't know if Lynch and Kelly are different enough to justify using an extra roster spot to carry both

Archived