Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

16 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Gaming this out a little bit, unless Cleveland is absolutely in love with one of the QBs miles more than any of the others, they will take the best player in the draft - Saquon Barkley - at No. 1 overall. 

The Giants, with Barkley off the board, have a couple of options. Had Barkley been there they could have opted to take him and go for a final one- to two-year run with Eli and ODB. Now, without Barkley on the board, the chances of them going for their QBOTF is a lot greater. Their other option is to trade with a QB hungry team (us, the Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals or Bills) who would have their pick of the lot. From the Giants' perspective, they wouldn't want to move too far down as they rarely draft this highly and thus a swap with us or Jets still lands them an elite or borderline elite prospect at No. 5 or 6 and gets them additional picks this year and probably next. 

The Colts, obviously not needing a QB, will still likely go with either Nelson or the best defensive player available. They could also be open to a trade, again with a QB hungry team, but unlike the Giants might be willing to move further down as that team needs help all over the field. More picks would give Ballard the chance to fill out the roster with his players and hopefully get an influx of talent on cheap rookie deals given that Luck eats up a sizable portion of their cap space. 

At No. 4, the Browns can snag their QBOTF, pair him with Barkley and the boatload of other prospects their going to get with their litany of picks. Whichever QB they draft can sit and develop for a year behind Tyrod Taylor. It is possible, although I would wager improbable, that all four QBs still remain on the board, giving the Browns their pick of the lot and leaving with a choice of the remaining three.  

The last 24 hours have scrambled the draft a little bit but picking at No. 5 overall, if there is one or even two QBs we prefer over the others, there is still a good chance we're going to have to move up to get him. 

I think no matter if NYG stays at #2 or trades, Darnold goes at #2.

Maybe I’m optimistic but I think Indy stays put and takes Chubb.  

Then Cleveland will have a choice between the 3 remaining QBs, my money is on Allen.

Leaving Rosen or Mayfield for us.  

It all hinges on Indy

7 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Technically Carson Wentz did, and healthy the Eagles were an even better team 

But you get the point. More SB's have been won with non-1st round pick QB's than 1st rounders. I'm pretty sure the only top 10 draft pick QB's that have won SB's are Elway, the Manning brothers and Aikman. All the top pick of their class and all on good to great teams. Elway and PM, great as they were, won their SB's with a whole lotta help from their friends.

Also, for every top pick QB that wins a SB, their are many more that failed outright or never lived up to expectations.

It's just a risky choice, especially when the evaluations of all the top QB's are all over the place.

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

But you get the point. More SB's have been won with non-1st round pick QB's than 1st rounders. I'm pretty sure the only top 10 draft pick QB's that have won SB's are Elway, the Manning brothers and Aikman. All the top pick of their class and all on good to great teams. Elway and PM, great as they were, won their SB's with a whole lotta help from their friends.

Also, for every top pick QB that wins a SB, their are many more that failed outright or never lived up to expectations.

It's just a risky choice, especially when the evaluations of all the top QB's are all over the place.

Its semantics. Dilfer was a first rounder, I believe Steve Young was, Big Ben, Rodgers, favre was the 33rd pick I mean thats right there, as was Brees. The Mannings.  Also think how many first round qbs or qbs in general stopped a first round qb from winning one. It's a team sport it's a game of inches I'll go through those.

- Mcnabb 

- Bledsoe

- Mcnair

- Kerry Collins.

- Matt Ryan

-  rex grossman

And I'm getting bored thats the top of my head.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Its semantics. Dilfer was a first rounder, I believe Steve Young was, Big Ben, Rodgers, favre was the 33rd pick I mean thats right there, as was Brees. The Mannings.  Also think how many first round qbs or qbs in general stopped a first round qb from winning one. It's a team sport it's a game of inches I'll go through those.

- Mcnabb 

- Bledsoe

- Mcnair

- Kerry Collins.

- Matt Ryan

-  rex grossman

And I'm getting bored thats the top of my head.

It's an impossible discussion. Most here believe it's a QB controlled league and that's the only way you can win. I disagree completely. As you stated, it's a team sport and usually the team with the best 53 players wins.

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

It's an impossible discussion. Most here believe it's a QB controlled league and that's the only way you can win. I disagree completely. As you stated, it's a team sport and usually the team with the best 53 players wins.

You may have posted this, but what would your offseason look like then?  

I also get what your saying.  I guess my biggest point is at #5 or I guess anywhere in the 1st/2nd round if Denver has a QB targeted as a potential franchise QB for the next 15 years it needs to be the selection because that player isn’t on the roster.  QB is probably the most difficult position in all of sports to fill.  If the opportunity is there it needs to be taken advantage of.

Denver can also fix the OL spending reasonable money this offseason to protect a young QB.  Josh Sitton was rated the best pass blocking OG by PFF and can probably be had on a reasonable 3 year deal (also plays LG and would be a tremendous addition next to Bolles) An interior of Sitton, Paradis, Leary over the next 3 seasons would probably be  a top 8 unit.  RT in FA will be more difficult, but Denver has the ammo to move into the late first or sit at their 2nd in the draft to address that, if they wanted.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

AKRNA  I really respect your opinions and perspective, but I just don’t get this.  Do I agree that it takes MORE than just a top notch QB to compete? Sure, granted.  But if the QB doesn’t matter, than let’s stick with Trevor or Oz.  But QB’s DO matter - a lot.  Who has won or gone to the super bowl over the past 10or more years? Brady, Manning, Ben, Wilson, Rodgers, Eli, Wentz/Foles, Newton, Flacco, Brees

Are they all top 5 picks, no, but they are all good to great quarterbacks.  Why does Minnesota want to get better at QB. Why not just improve their WR core? Jacksonville had an unbelievable defense - couldn’t get there.  

I get it, QB is a total crap shoot.  But the odds, as bad as they are go from bad to astronomical after the first round.  What are the odds of getting a Pro-Bowl RB, or WR, or Guard in round 2 or 3?  Not too bad.  Lots out there. Hell, more than a few undrafted WR and RB have made it.  What are the odds of getting a Super-Bowl Winning QB outside of Round 1?  Brady and Wilson, I think.  

The drop off from a top 5 QB to a round 2 QB is huge in terms of probability of ever starting in the NFL.  The drop off from Top 5 to round 2 in every other position?  Maybe the difference between likely Pro-Bowler and likely starter.  

We are desperate for a QB.  THE odds of finding a quality one outside the top couple of spots are nil.  There are none that can get you to the SB available in Free Agency outside of Cousins (and some would debate that).  Can Darnold or Rosen or Mayfield or Rosen get you there. MAYBE.  And because it’s a MAYBE, you have to take your shot.  Because maybe is better than NONE, which is what every other QB available now, or likely available in the future assuming 15+ Draft pick position and near zero chance of a top QB ever coming available in free agency will give you.

Its a crap shoot.  But if you’re not willing to roll the dice, might as well pack up and go home.

So - I don’t know how to set up a poll, but I’m curious to hear what others would do ASSUMING THE FOLLOWING SCENARIO.

Assume:  Cousins goes to Vikings.  Darnold goes to Browns and Saquon goes to Giants (or vice versa.  Doesn’t really matter, and I expect those 2 Players to go 1-2 in some order. Broncos only pick up older mid-level Vet (say McCown for arguments sake)

Would you:

1. Trade up to 3 to get your QB of choice from Rosen/Allen/Mayfield?

2. Stand pat, risking that some other teams trade up with Colts and Browns and take a QB in that spot, leaving us with the 4th QB, or

3. Take the best positional player available at 5 (which could be Chubb, Nelson if QB’s go 3 &4) and get a QB Later (Jackson, Rudolph, etc)

4. Trade down, stock up picks, and get a QB later?

Another thing on QBs, lots of drafted QBs from the late 2000s all have had to get through a gauntlet of Brady Brees ben Rodgers and the mannings just to have a shot at getting to the super bowl.  As these all time greats retire and decline it’s going to open up a door for the next generation as it were

1 minute ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

So - I don’t know how to set up a poll, but I’m curious to hear what others would do ASSUMING THE FOLLOWING SCENARIO.

Assume:  Cousins goes to Vikings.  Darnold goes to Browns and Saquon goes to Giants (or vice versa.  Doesn’t really matter, and I expect those 2 Players to go 1-2 in some order. Broncos only pick up older mid-level Vet (say McCown for arguments sake)

Would you:

2. Stand pat, risking that some other teams trade up with Colts and Browns and take a QB in that spot, leaving us with the 4th QB, or

3. Take the best positional player available at 5 (which could be Chubb, Nelson if QB’s go 3 &4) and get a QB Later (Jackson, Rudolph, etc)

If it’s me personally?  Trade up with Indy and get the guy you think is gonna be the best.  

Wentz and Watson got injured this year but either of their teams regret trading up to get them

10 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

If it’s me personally?  Trade up with Indy and get the guy you think is gonna be the best.  

Wentz and Watson got injured this year but either of their teams regret trading up to get them

I don't think we should have to pay top dollar to move to 2. If we don't pay top dollar or close to it sure. If not sweat it out. 4 qbs have the potential to go top 10 we have the 5th pick. And 1 of the first 1 picks wont be qb.

6 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Would you:

If the Broncos QB board has 1 top guy, and they really want him, then you trade up and get your guy.

14 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Would you:

We need, and I mean NEED a QB. There's no way we can go into next season with the choice of Oz, Siemian or Lynch again, so if Elway has earmarked one QB that he feels is best fit for us, then he needs to trade up to secure him.

Putting my Indy fan hat on for a moment, if Barkley is already gone by 3, then we'll probably take Chubb. However I feel we can still get Chubb at 5, so I would be more than happy for Indy and Denver to swap places in the draft allowing the Broncos to pick whichever QB Elway has in mind and the Colts can select Chubb.

If however Elway has no preference to who he gets from Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield/Jackson/Rudolph (You never know 9_9) then stay put and pick them. 

Ultimately it's vital we come out of the draft with our hopefully franchise QB for the long term. We shouldn't be looking elsewhere or trading down from the fifth pick.

Come to think of it, what Cleveland does at 1 could be important for Indy, and thus for us.  If the Browns go Barkley at 1, it highly likely the go QB at 4.  In that scenario, if Indy trades with us at 5, it’s a virtual lock Chubb will still be there at 5.  However, if the Browns go QB at 1, and the Giants go Barkley at 2, there is a very reasonable chance the Browns would go Chubb at 4 if available.  Thus, Indy would be perhaps less likely to trade back.  

Archived