Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The thing is if we go for Keenum, we don't dictate the terms, he does. He's going to want job security and long-term deal. If we don't offer him that contract, someone else will. If the Klis article that we're going to get either Cousins or Keenum is to be believed, because we want to win 10 games this year rather than the Super Bowl 2-3 years down the road, then I don't even know what to think. 

Exactly

2 hours ago, PFM18 said:

Rapsheet is suggesting we'll be interested in McCarron because of he and Joseph's Cincy link.

I wouldn't mind him as a backup if he came cheap. Not sure if I'd be confident in him as a starter.

Is that reporting based on a leak from someone or is Rap just connecting the dots between McCarron and Vance? 

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Is that reporting based on a leak from someone or is Rap just connecting the dots between McCarron and Vance? 

No sign of any leaks. 

Think Rap is just making the link of where we could turn if Kirk goes elsewhere.

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The thing is if we go for Keenum, we don't dictate the terms, he does. He's going to want job security and long-term deal. If we don't offer him that contract, someone else will. If the Klis article that we're going to get either Cousins or Keenum is to be believed, because we want to win 10 games this year rather than the Super Bowl 2-3 years down the road, then I don't even know what to think. 

I hear ya. I don't know what to think about that either  bud. That's going back to late Shanahan. Too much emphasis I think on win now. Fans understand rebuilds, we don't really understand  a commitment to mediocrity.

So your starting QB is... Case Keenum. Local reporters expect a “short, team friendly” deal. Something in the region of $18m this year would give us $17m cap space with potential cuts of CJ Anderson, Menelik Watson, trade Trevor Siemian. There are options.

Meanwhile, Broncos fans should start watching tape of Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, the two Joshes and Lamar Jackson, because I really think it’s a lock that one of them becomes a Bronco with the 5th overall pick. 

On 06/03/2018 at 1:18 AM, germ-x said:

And this is a great example of what it takes to have an at least above average offensive line in today’s NFL.

Solder is likely a 4-5 year $50-60 million dollar investment and former 1st round pick.

Leary cost 4 years $35 million.

Paradis will be cheap this year, but looking for a good pay day in the 4 year $20 million+ range next season, at minimum.

Hernandez will cost a late 1st or early 2nd.

Bolles was the 20th pick in the draft.

If one wanted to keep that unit together for the next 3 years it’s $100 million minimum.  That’s just the financial side, that isn’t getting into spending high drafts picks to keep the unit at an above average level.

Just isn’t feasible, which is why you need a great QB to offset the deficiencies of the OL.

We are the new Chicago Bears. Sign Keenum and bench him after 6 games for a rookie. Lose another season and draft top 12 next year.

The consensus is rebuilding we are not a contender Keenum or not. 

What Kubiak think about casey  ? They not won a SB in Houston with a better team

Disapointing start of the season

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

So your starting QB is... Case Keenum. Local reporters expect a “short, team friendly” deal. Something in the region of $18m this year would give us $17m cap space with potential cuts of CJ Anderson, Menelik Watson, trade Trevor Siemian. There are options.

Meanwhile, Broncos fans should start watching tape of Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, the two Joshes and Lamar Jackson, because I really think it’s a lock that one of them becomes a Bronco with the 5th overall pick. 

Hope so. I want Josh Rosen. I don't like this signing if they expect Case to be the long-term answer. This was probably influenced by Kubiak, who coached Keenum five years ago with the Texans.

Lots of possibilities on why Elway and the Broncos went from all in on Cousins to all in on Keenum.

1) they identified the qbs or 2 they like best and realized they probably won't be ready day one.

2) they didn't wanna put their eggs in the Darnold and rosen falling to them basket.

3) buffalo is enticing them with a trade package. Denver makes a move for a qb buffalo trades up the same 6 hr span.

4) maybe they want a vet qb starting no matter what.

"Not a huge Keenum fan but I think they dodged a bullet with Kirk. Kirk's spending too much time trying to promote his brand. I just don't like it. It has this Tom vs Time feel to it. Like, hey Kirk, you're 4-19 against teams that finish over 500. Stop acting like superstar. You're a stat padder." NFL news keenum forum.

my exact thoughts would love to get AAAs opinion on this.

The Keenum signing gives us flexibility that we haven't had in previous drafts.  Like how last year where we were handcuffed to an OT at 20, we were absolutely handcuffed into a QB at 5 this year.  Now we're not.  I applaud this signing, it will be similar to the Glennon deal last year with the Bears.  It's not going to be a long term deal, and it's not going to destroy our cap space.  The links to Solder now seem much more possible.

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

"Not a huge Keenum fan but I think they dodged a bullet with Kirk. Kirk's spending too much time trying to promote his brand. I just don't like it. It has this Tom vs Time feel to it. Like, hey Kirk, you're 4-19 against teams that finish over 500. Stop acting like superstar. You're a stat padder." NFL news keenum forum.

my exact thoughts would love to get AAAs opinion on this.

Passing on Cousins (or him passing on us) only represents dodging a bullet if 1) Keenum is a value at 18-20M per year 2) We don't make the mistake of committing to him over a rookie QB at 1.5, as being reported.

If Elway convinced Keenum to a team-friendly deal, hey, I'll tip my cap.  But if he committed more than 1 year and then says we should pass on rookie QB at 1.5 no matter how the board falls - does not give me any hope he's learned. 

I've been on record as to my belief in Rosen/Darnold - could be they aren't available at 1.5.   Others believe in Mayfield - not so sure.   Either way, though, if Elway isn't willing to even consider QB at 1.5 depending on the board's progression, color me discouraged - because the willingness to not take advantage of opportunity when value presents itself is one of the biggest weaknesses Elway's had since becoming a more 1-guy away drafter.    

Just now, elliot878 said:

The Keenum signing gives us flexibility that we haven't had in previous drafts.  Like how last year where we were handcuffed to an OT at 20, we were absolutely handcuffed into a QB at 5 this year.  Now we're not.  I applaud this signing, it will be similar to the Glennon deal last year with the Bears.  It's not going to be a long term deal, and it's not going to destroy our cap space.  The links to Solder now seem much more possible.

I don't know how you come away thinking this. Keenum is a glorified backup. The Broncos need a real solution at the position. They may not be picking in the top 5 again, so they need to make it count and get their QBOTF here. Don't overthink it.

Just my opinion.... but if they don't draft one of the top QBs, they will be settling themselves for league average for the foreseeable future. As a rival fan, if they pass on QB at 5, I'm happy.

4 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

The big key though is whether or not it's enough to make Elway say we definitely aren't getting QB at 1.5.   I've said that I would run to the podium if it's Darnold/Rosen - if either fall to 1.5 and we pass on that because we have committed to Keenum - well, ugh.  

The flip side is if Elway locks in to non-QB if a top 2 QB falls because of Case Keenum, then it's a terrible deal.    I have no problem with a bridge QB - the thing is, there were 4-5 other bridge QB's, and if a bridge is all we are looking for, they would have been less expensive, or the worst-case scenario, if Keenum gets multiple years....others would definitely have come in for 1-year guaranteed, which is more ideal in our scenario.   

Archived