3. Sam Darnold

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Josh Allen

6. Tyrod Taylor

7. Mason Rudolph

8. Lamar Jackson

9. Case Keenum

10. Josh McCown

Are you listing them purely on how good a QB you think they are or have you considered money as well?

17 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Are you listing them purely on how good a QB you think they are or have you considered money as well?

Purely in terms of talent. If money comes into play, I would certainly jostle that around a bit.

In order of preference of who I would prefer to be our starting QB for 2018 and beyond:

1. Josh Rosen (1a) - very high ceiling but also very high floor + cheap rookie deal for 5 years.
  2. Kirk Cousins (1b) - know what we're getting, can win a Super Bowl with him, only downside is the exorbitant cost. 
  3. Sam Darnold - low-ish bust potential, high-ish ceiling.
  4. Josh Allen - sky-high ceiling, highest ceiling of all QBs, but major bust risk. 
  5. Baker Mayfield - not as high a ceiling as other rookies, will require lots of patience and an offense which has not worked before in the NFL, high bust potential.
  6. Lamar Jackson - I see a non-pompous RGIII, loads of talent but slight frame and how does his skillset translate?
  7. Mason Rudolph - don't know much but the film I've seen doesn't blow me away, seems like JAG.
  8. Case Keenum - franchise QB money for a one-year wonder, nothing special about him, JAG.

Truthfully, I see a gap between 1a/1b and 3, then another gap between Darnold and Allen and then big a gap between Allen and the rest. 

46 minutes ago, champ11 said:

This dude always has some interesting opinions. This is an impressive thread:

This is about the third guy I've seen touting Rudolph as the best of the bunch.

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Considering free agents as well:

1. Kirk Cousins

2. Josh Rosen

3. Sam Darnold

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Josh Allen

6. Tyrod Taylor

7. Mason Rudolph

8. Lamar Jackson

9. Case Keenum

10. Josh McCown

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Purely in terms of talent. If money comes into play, I would certainly jostle that around a bit.

I agree with most of the list above in a vacuum - but it matters a lot that the vets would all cost a fair bit of $ except Taylor (but he might cost a Day 3 pick in a trade to be cheap at 10M after the new year starts).  Cousins is 25-30M, Keenum is 18-20M.  

If we had better cap space, it would matter even less that Cousins costs so much - he would help us win now.   But he's likely not coming here, and that # really does matter. The rookies are likely to be 2019 big difference-makers, as for literally every QB except Marino, this will be a learning year for them (and if you think it would have held up, Watson), even if they are our franchise QB's for the next 6-8 years afterwards.    But their cheap value really matters ton.   

I'd drop Keenum out of the top 10 because of his cost, while Taylor would drop to 9, barely ahead of McCown.  Please, no Keenum given what he's going to cost.   To me, our long-term health depends on finding the QBOTF in this year's draft, if we can't land Cousins (and Cousins would force Elway to not miss anymore in the draft on Day 1-2 - which let's face it, is no lock, given his history <and I'm not counting 2017 yet, 1 more year to count that class in/out>).

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

In order of preference of who I would prefer to be our starting QB for 2018 and beyond:

1. Josh Rosen (1a) - very high ceiling but also very high floor + cheap rookie deal for 5 years.
  2. Kirk Cousins (1b) - know what we're getting, can win a Super Bowl with him, only downside is the exorbitant cost. 
  3. Sam Darnold - low-ish bust potential, high-ish ceiling.
  4. Josh Allen - sky-high ceiling, highest ceiling of all QBs, but major bust risk. 
  5. Baker Mayfield - not as high a ceiling as other rookies, will require lots of patience and an offense which has not worked before in the NFL, high bust potential.
  6. Lamar Jackson - I see a non-pompous RGIII, loads of talent but slight frame and how does his skillset translate?
  7. Mason Rudolph - don't know much but the film I've seen doesn't blow me away, seems like JAG.
  8. Case Keenum - franchise QB money for a one-year wonder, nothing special about him, JAG.

Truthfully, I see a gap between 1a/1b and 3, then another gap between Darnold and Allen and then big a gap between Allen and the rest. 

Where is the Chad Kelly love on here?  I am actually very curious to see what he's got.  I mean, if healthy and minus the off the field sh****t...he is a 1st round 2nd guy...I'd think that being in an NFL QB room...especially with Siemien who is just slightly cerebral that Chad picked up things that Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield did not get in college.  And, I see Chad just as good those guys.  And, he is already on the roster...and he is cheap...and....you get to use your draft picks on other needs, that we clearly have...just sayen...I am not that impressed with the QBs available via draft.  I like Cousins, but do not want to break the bank on him...and if we are few years away....let's see what Chad can do.  Put him behind a really good offensive line...get him the support of a nice defense...and a better than average running game...and then see what he can do.  If he messes up, we can go after next year's prized FA or draft pick. i mean, chances are we have HC who is probably going to get fired next year...if you have all the other pieces, minus a coach and QB...well...you get to sell that fact...that the Broncos are minus...the best coach available...and the best QB available.  And, if Kelly does well...then maybe we just need a coach next year? 

40 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Where is the Chad Kelly love on here?  I am actually very curious to see what he's got.  I mean, if healthy and minus the off the field sh****t...he is a 1st round 2nd guy...I'd think that being in an NFL QB room...especially with Siemien who is just slightly cerebral that Chad picked up things that Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield did not get in college.  And, I see Chad just as good those guys.  And, he is already on the roster...and he is cheap...and....you get to use your draft picks on other needs, that we clearly have...just sayen...I am not that impressed with the QBs available via draft.  I like Cousins, but do not want to break the bank on him...and if we are few years away....let's see what Chad can do.  Put him behind a really good offensive line...get him the support of a nice defense...and a better than average running game...and then see what he can do.  If he messes up, we can go after next year's prized FA or draft pick. i mean, chances are we have HC who is probably going to get fired next year...if you have all the other pieces, minus a coach and QB...well...you get to sell that fact...that the Broncos are minus...the best coach available...and the best QB available.  And, if Kelly does well...then maybe we just need a coach next year? 

He'll be great on the practice squad this year

This is purely speculation but hows this for a 3 way trade.  

Denver  gets 11 & 21 and second from buffalo 

Buffalo gets Tannehill and a second from Miami and a 3rd from Miami.

Miami gets the 5th pick and a 5th from denver does that work value wise?

5 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Tyrod Taylor to the Browns for a 3rd. I’m really surprised they got more than a ham sandwich for him. This also increases the chances of AJ McCarron being our stopgap guy. 

Haha if he's worth  the first pick in the 3rd siemian is worth a 5th easily. I would not mind Mccaron on a 1 yr 12 million dollar prove it deal with incentives. 

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Haha if he's worth  the first pick in the 3rd siemian is worth a 5th easily. I would not mind Mccaron on a 1 yr 12 million dollar prove it deal with incentives. 

McCarron probably draws $15m-$17m per year like Mike Glennon. You can sign him to a contract that allows you to cut him with no dead money after the first year. 

6 hours ago, champ11 said:

This dude always has some interesting opinions. This is an impressive thread:

“Best prospect since Mariota” is ridiculous because Mariota wasn’t the best QB in his draft and Wentz was a better prospect than him as well. 

Archived