Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

We'll just have to disagree here. We'll find out soon enough though.

He's been a solid QB with excellent ball control for quite a while now. There's not a rookie available that will give them a better chance of winning than Taylor.

Taylor may be better than any of the rookies today but remember that when GM Sashi Brown was fired, the owner flat out said it was due to his inabilities to get them a proper franchise QB. To me that’s a mandate for John Dorsey to go out and bring one in. 

Oh come on now people.  Hundley was bad, but he wasn’t even 2016 Trevor Siemian bad and many in this forum thought Siemian was the answer.  Hundley is 2x the talent too.

I don’t want Hundley, but if Hundley isn’t a trade chip then any thought of Siemian or Lynch getting value is off the table.

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Taylor may be better than any of the rookies today but remember that when GM Sashi Brown was fired, the owner flat out said it was due to his inabilities to get them a proper franchise QB. To me that’s a mandate for John Dorsey to go out and bring one in. 

Dorsey is setting himself up to take Barkley 1.1 and Mayfield or Allen 1.4.  I’d go Allen, but I think the target will be Mayfield for them.

Scary part is, that makes NYG the trade up target to get the QB you want (I still don’t see Indy making a move from 1.3).  Last report I read Denver walked away from the combine interview blown away with Mayfield.  

Can you imagine Denver trading up to #2 and taking Mayfield?  I’ve said numerous times Elway has a job in the Denver FO for as long as he wants, but if that happens I’ll join the Calvary and riot for his release from duties running this organization.

12 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Dorsey is setting himself up to take Barkley 1.1 and Mayfield or Allen 1.4.  I’d go Allen, but I think the target will be Mayfield for them.

Scary part is, that makes NYG the trade up target to get the QB you want (I still don’t see Indy making a move from 1.3).  Last report I read Denver walked away from the combine interview blown away with Mayfield.  

Can you imagine Denver trading up to #2 and taking Mayfield?  I’ve said numerous times Elway has a job in the Denver FO for as long as he wants, but if that happens I’ll join the Calvary and riot for his release from duties running this organization.

If they really want Mayfield, they just stand pat.   Mayfield did all he could to help his case, but it would be a true shocker if he went earlier than that, and ahead of the 3 oft-debated. 

The thing is, taking Mayfield means breaking away from everything Elway looks for - maybe Kubiak's got that level of influence, but then again, he was around in 2016, and it didn't stop Elway then.   I get the argument for those who'd take Mayfield over Allen...but I just can't bring myself to believing Elway would go that route until I hear the pick called.  

P.S.  Hundley's not worth targeting - because he won't be rookie-deal cheap after this year.   But yeah, if he's not worth much, then our guys aren't getting anything of worth, either.   Let's face it, CLE overpaid to get Taylor - but they also had to, given their concern that no FA will pick them as Plan A (the thinking with Landry for sure).    Now that CLE is out of the running, the only team that traditionally pay up and disregard cap value or pick value are MIA, and they're committed to Tannehill, or a rookie at 1.11.  

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Understand we aren’t talking about Taylor’s abilities alone but what CLE is acquiring him for.  CLE has made it clear they are going with one of the top 3 rookie QB’s.

You said you didn't know CLE's lineup - maybe this will convince you - CLE has Joel Bitonio and Kevin Zeitler as their G's - two top-10, young G's.  Bitonio is argued as perhaps the best young G around.   They just paid in FA to get JC Tretter last year, who is also a top 10 C (he's a little older at 30).  They are all in their prime, and in Zeitler & Tretter's case, they have so much dead money, they aren't going to get moved.   The only real weakness CLE has is RT Shon Coleman, and he's actually strong in run blocking - and still raw, now in his 3rd year.  LT Joe Thomas is likely coming back.  I do think CLE will get a T in this draft, because they need to think succession for Thomas.  But they have 2.1 and 2.4 to get that done.    I always advocate to go BPA - but again, CLE's belief that a franchise QB is one to target this year.   It's why they passed last year.

I know you think highly of Taylor but CLE has made it clear they were getting a bridge vet QB and a top rookie.   Maybe they change their mind but I really doubt it.   I don't see a scenario where they go Nelson at 1.4.  Barkley at 1.1 for sure, but QB at 1.4 is very locked in.  I suppose they could think about Chubb - but consider the final point - they passed up on 1.13 QB last year to get this year's HOU 1st...in an attempt to lock up a QB pick, in this class.    That pick was Deshaun Watson.   They loaded up this year to get QB guaranteed - and HOU's decline made it so they can get Barkley AND one of the top 3 QB in this class.  They've been transparent on this since Day 1, before Barkley did well enough to make them think about QB 1.4 instead of 1.1.    But it's hard to seem them come off QB at 1.4...some still think they'll go 1.1 (which to me is dumb, if you can get the overall BPA 1.1 and still get one of the 3 guys you see as similar at 1.4, you do that).  But the CLE org realizes they have to get their young QB now.   So while anything can happen, I don't see anything but QB 1.4 (and 1.1 wouldn't shock me - it would be the wrong call, but wouldn't shock me lol).   We'll see.

So defense at 1.4 then. I just don't see them taking a QB.

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So defense at 1.4 then. I just don't see them taking a QB.

Again, though, @paul-mac is spot on - their owner fired the GM because he didn't get their future QB.  This is their 2018 mandate.

Don't take my or paul's word for it - their beat reporters, who are very plugged in, are reporting Taylor as their bridge:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_take_nfl_world_by_storm.html

(Cabot is their beat reporter, literally as plugged in as Renck/Klis, and 100% reliable - and she acknowledged the Browns paid to win games in 2018 - but they're going QB at 1.1 or 1.4, and that he wasn't brought in strictly as a bridge, at the 5:00 - 7:00 min mark, and then talked about Barkley at 1.1, and then 1 of the big 3 QB's at 1.4 - and Hue's statement that he is going to sit a rookie and let a vet start at first, if not all season).

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Again, though, @paul-mac is spot on - their owner fired the GM because he didn't get their future QB.  This is their 2018 mandate.

Don't take my or paul's word for it - their beat reporters, who are very plugged in, are reporting Taylor as their bridge:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_take_nfl_world_by_storm.html

(Cabot is their beat reporter, literally as plugged in as Renck/Klis, and 100% reliable - and she acknowledged the Browns paid to win games in 2018 - but they're going QB at 1.1 or 1.4, and that he wasn't brought in strictly as a bridge, at the 5:00 - 7:00 min mark, and then talked about Barkley at 1.1, and then 1 of the big 3 QB's at 1.4 - and Hue's statement that he is going to sit a rookie and let a vet start at first, if not all season).

I'm not taking anyones word for it. After all, GM's never lie about their intent. Taylors a bird in the hand. I haven't seen anything that would convince me the rookies, any of them will be better. Odds are they won't. Not one of the 26 QB's drafted in the 1st rd since 2009 has won a SB but they were all touted as sure fire QBOTF. Why will this year be different?

Also,  which of the 5 QB's will it be? Not all, that's for sure.

I'm not sure Taylor isn't their QBOTF. Young solid journeyman, best ball security in the biz and a veteran presence in a locker room full of talented youngsters.

Anyway, we'll find out shortly.

43 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm not taking anyones word for it. After all, GM's never lie about their intent. Taylors a bird in the hand. I haven't seen anything that would convince me the rookies, any of them will be better. Odds are they won't. Not one of the 26 QB's drafted in the 1st rd since 2009 has won a SB but they were all touted as sure fire QBOTF. Why will this year be different?

I'm not sure Taylor isn't their QBOTF. Young solid journeyman, best ball security in the biz and a veteran presence in a locker room full of talented youngsters.

Taylor had a HOF rb and,great,oline and you're sold on him?

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Oh come on now people.  Hundley was bad, but he wasn’t even 2016 Trevor Siemian bad and many in this forum thought Siemian was the answer.  Hundley is 2x the talent too.

I don’t want Hundley, but if Hundley isn’t a trade chip then any thought of Siemian or Lynch getting value is off the table.

Siemian in 2016 was far better than Hundley in 2017. The general consensus was Hundley was a major disappointment last year and the Packers needed to upgrade their backup spot. Siemian isn’t an nfl starter but I think someone will give us a mid to late rounder to get him in as a quality nfl backup. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Taylor isn’t anyone’s QBOTF. It speaks volumes that the Bills have been desperate to discard him for a while. He’s simply being brought in to play a few games until their rookie is ready 

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Technically Carson Wentz did, and healthy the Eagles were an even better team 

16 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Color me shocked Hue didn’t get McCarron. Given Tyrod is a bridge for their rookie QB that’s awful to give up 3.1.   

I think Hue is a dead man walking. Dorsey is a powerful GM, he's going to want his coach sooner rather than later. I think they looked at the crop of available head coach candidates and knew what an undesirable location Cleveland was and decided to stick it out with him one more year. Their thinking is, next year with a roster laden with young talent and a team that appears to be ascending, they could land one of the better candidates whether that's a hot coordinator, a college coach looking to move up or a veteran, Dorsey will have an easier time getting his guy. Thus, they're not going to go for a QB to appease a coach who is likely not in their long-term plans. 

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

If we take Mayfield I am going to be one angry American but if we trade up for him I'll be done with this team. 

35 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If we take Mayfield I am going to be one angry American but if we trade up for him I'll be done with this team. 

This is a results based business.  If Denver did their hw and Identified Mayfield as their guy I'd have no problem with it. They have been around him, interviewed him, had him on the white board, talked to former coaches and teammates.  

Now I'd respect the going all in Approach I also feel like with 4 qbs being around in this range the price may not be so high. Hopefully it's not an overpay.

Gaming this out a little bit, unless Cleveland is absolutely in love with one of the QBs miles more than any of the others, they will take the best player in the draft - Saquon Barkley - at No. 1 overall. 

The Giants, with Barkley off the board, have a couple of options. Had Barkley been there they could have opted to take him and go for a final one- to two-year run with Eli and ODB. Now, without Barkley on the board, the chances of them going for their QBOTF is a lot greater. Their other option is to trade with a QB hungry team (us, the Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals or Bills) who would have their pick of the lot. From the Giants' perspective, they wouldn't want to move too far down as they rarely draft this highly and thus a swap with us or Jets still lands them an elite or borderline elite prospect at No. 5 or 6 and gets them additional picks this year and probably next. 

The Colts, obviously not needing a QB, will still likely go with either Nelson or the best defensive player available. They could also be open to a trade, again with a QB hungry team, but unlike the Giants might be willing to move further down as that team needs help all over the field. More picks would give Ballard the chance to fill out the roster with his players and hopefully get an influx of talent on cheap rookie deals given that Luck eats up a sizable portion of their cap space. 

At No. 4, the Browns can snag their QBOTF, pair him with Barkley and the boatload of other prospects their going to get with their litany of picks. Whichever QB they draft can sit and develop for a year behind Tyrod Taylor. It is possible, although I would wager improbable, that all four QBs still remain on the board, giving the Browns their pick of the lot and leaving with a choice of the remaining three.  

The last 24 hours have scrambled the draft a little bit but picking at No. 5 overall, if there is one or even two QBs we prefer over the others, there is still a good chance we're going to have to move up to get him. 

Archived