Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I can’t either.  The wife is due with our 1st child that weekend, so I may be watching it in the hospital haha.

My wife is out of the country for the weekend.   I'm going to be 24/7 watching it (well, when it's on TV).   Haven't done that since my days as a student (back then, though, they didn't televise the draft.  Hell, back then, they only had dial-up internet). B|

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

My wife is out of the country for the weekend.   I'm going to be 24/7 watching it (well, when it's on TV).   Haven't done that since my days as a student (back then, though, they didn't televise the draft.  Hell, back then, they only had dial-up internet). B|

College was definitely the best time to watch.  They televised it on TV when I was in school.  I remember (well a little I guess) 4 of us buying a crap load of alcohol, sneaking it into the dorms in backpacks, wearing hoodies and tying 750s of rum to the strings and dangling inside our shirts, and just drinking, watching and screaming for 2 days straight.  It was the year Denver selected Tebow. 

A friend of mine had a shot at getting drafted and that was pretty damn cool too.  I spent the whole day at his house and between rounds 5-7 his agent would call numerous times saying to get ready for X teams pick you’re in the conversation.  He was one of 3 LBs Denver was looking at with their 6th round pick and Denver went Trevathan instead.  He didn’t end up getting drafted, still a cool experience though.

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Back on topic though.  Don’t see anyway Denver doesn’t go QB early in this draft.  Unless they give some FA a crazy long term contract they have to try and address the position long term.

The only way I see us not going QB in the first round is if we sign Cousins and it increasingly looks like that's not going to be the case.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Multiple sources are reporting that Cousins and MIN have come to an understanding - they can't finalize it until FA opens, but at least this should help Elway and co. crystallize their plan B thinking, as their original plan A is clearly looking less and less likely.

27 mill a year? What did he kidnap chelsea clinton???? I call bs in the he'll take less to go to a winner. By what 3 mill a year?

If Renck is to believed, it's either Keenum or a 1.5 rookie, not both (not surprising given he likely gets a multi-year offer as the 2nd QB in FA well behind Cousins, but seemingly ahead of everyone else).

I've already outlined my reasons to not take Keenum - and I'd argue that even if he was a 1-year bridge, TBH, given he's likely to be the most expensive guy.    But if taking him means not considering 1.5 QB no matter how the board falls - OMG, easy pass.    He's not worth a multi-year deal, easy no-brainer pass.  

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

27 mill a year? What did he kidnap chelsea clinton???? I call bs in the he'll take less to go to a winner. By what 3 mill a year?

Cousins is likely not coming to us, we've known that for a while.   But if that's the # being thrown about - keep in mind, as a FA, Cousins could have played the market, had teams bid against each other, and drive the price up.  But instead...

1.  He made it very clear on Feb. 4 he preferred the Vikes if the $ was similar. 

2.  More importantly, he's being reported as locking in with MIN even before FA opens

3.  Finally....

A guy who telegraphs his #1 spot, and doesn't wait until FA opens, and then doesn't host any other team visits - he didn't even try to extract extra $ than what MIN and he were both happy to agree upon.   And while you may say 3M a year is nothing - Calais Campbell saw us as the better team, but took the $ with JAX at 1M per year more.    

Cousins may or may not be worth the $ he gets - I think he will, but I get the argument.   But the reality of what Cousins did is he actually did the least possible to get a contract from MIN.   And let's not forget 2 years ago he was the one who offered WAS 4 years, 75M for WAS with 44M guaranteed - WAS were the ones who said no thanks, let's go 20M franchise tag, and then 24M the next year.     The above is fact, not spin - WAS' own beat reporters confirm as much - https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/redskins/the-alex-smith-trade-could-sentence-the-redskins-to-long-term-mediocrity/2018/01/31/e1c50f18-06a0-11e8-94e8-e8b8600ade23_story.html

Remember that two years ago, when they placed the franchise tag on Cousins for the first time, the quarterback proposed a four-year contract averaging about $19 million per season with $44 million in guaranteed money. If Washington had agreed to those terms, Cousins would be two years into a contract that would have him outside the top 10 highest-paid quarterbacks in both average annual salary and total dollars.

Painting Cousins as the greedy guy is completely off-base.   He told MIN he wanted to play for them, and didn't deviate from that - and hasn't tried to play the market to up their offer.  He offered WAS a ridiculously team-friendly deal 2 years ago that 2 years later would be an insane bargain.  All the time reporting on time, not holding out, while WAS portrayed him as greedy and not worth the tag $ - that THEY decided to go with.   He's not the bad guy here. 

Those tweets from Renck give me VERY little confidence in this team. Cousins isn't happening. That's abundantly clear. What's terrifying is putting our eggs in the Case Keenum basket. Now, Keenum did have a very good year last year, and if you believe he's turned a corner, then we'd likely be signing him at a bargain. My issue is that I don't believe him to be a particularly good QB at all, and I think his good season was a flash in the pan. Beyond that, it's telling that we bring on Kubiak and now we're going after one of his pet projects. 

The fact that we would not draft QB at 5 even with Keenum tells me two things: 1. Elway believes in Keenum to be good enough and 2. Elway recognized the need for talent infusion across the board. If we draft Keenum, I would very strongly assume we will trade the #5 pick and stockpile more. If we're not gonna take a QB, I'd rather we had 2 first round picks than just one Top 5 guy. The team needs it at this point.

Also, if I were Denver, I'd be insistent on a 2019 first rounder from whomever (if there is a trade), especially if it's Buffalo. They might be awful next year (so might we, for that matter).

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Those tweets from Renck give me VERY little confidence in this team. Cousins isn't happening. That's abundantly clear. What's terrifying is putting our eggs in the Case Keenum basket. Now, Keenum did have a very good year last year, and if you believe he's turned a corner, then we'd likely be signing him at a bargain. My issue is that I don't believe him to be a particularly good QB at all, and I think his good season was a flash in the pan. Beyond that, it's telling that we bring on Kubiak and now we're going after one of his pet projects. 

The fact that we would not draft QB at 5 even with Keenum tells me two things: 1. Elway believes in Keenum to be good enough and 2. Elway recognized the need for talent infusion across the board. If we draft Keenum, I would very strongly assume we will trade the #5 pick and stockpile more. If we're not gonna take a QB, I'd rather we had 2 first round picks than just one Top 5 guy. The team needs it at this point.

Also, if I were Denver, I'd be insistent on a 2019 first rounder from whomever (if there is a trade), especially if it's Buffalo. They might be awful next year (so might we, for that matter).

I am 100 percent on board with the take that a Keenum acquisition instead of 1.5 QB would be a massive mistake.    Massive.

The likelihood we will be in a situation where we pick this early AND we have viable, franchise-level QB talent like this is just so low.   Most years, there are maybe 1-2 guys worth taking in the top of the draft.   We have 2 here, and if you believe the Mayfield/Allen supporters, 3-4 more.    There may be another year we pick in the top 5 - and could have a year like last year, or worse, 2013 - when no QB is even remotely in the discussion.    The crazy part is that Elway was so QB-hungry in 2016 that he traded up for an incredibly iffy and hotly debated Rd1 QB.   Here, he doesn't even need to move up to get a much better guy.    And he's thinking about Case fricking Keenum.   

The argument for Cousins was that we rarely see a top-10 FA QB still young enough to be in his peak years become available.   The problem is how much $ it takes, and what it does to our roster construction.   With a franchise QB talent available at the top of the draft, the cost is still a huge order of magnitude less, there's more risk, but the payoff is just as equally huge - but the key short-term difference is that the rookie QB is almost certainly going to struggle year 1.   The thing is, I don't see Keenum's price and his ceiling/flaws to be so much better it's worth passing up, not even close. 

Elway, don't do it, man.    If we are looking at QB 1.5, accept that we aren't going to be nearly as good in 2018 as we will be later on.   Frankly, that's the way our team is built even without QB.   Don't do it.

Also, the other reason why I hate the Keenum idea, that's not Keenum related - once again, it locks Elway into being tone-deaf to how the draft board shakes out.

Maybe Elway is settling on Keenum because he doesn't see anyone but 1 QB he wants in the draft.    And assumes that guy is gone.   But what happens if that guy drops to 1.5?  Well, too late, Elway's locked on.

Man, I'd be the first to defend Elway's Day 3 draft record, and his ability to find bargain FA's in the later tiers, and his cap management.   He's stellar there.   But if he's getting Keenum to pass on rookie QB 1.5, he's also locking himself into a position without a clear adjustment to how the draft board could fall completely in his favor.     Now, if this was a franchise-changing QB talent at FA - totally different story.  But Keenum isn't that guy.   SMH.

Elway...don't do it.  

I think for Keenum to succeed he needs the type of situation Minnesota had. Two solid WRs, a good OL, weapons in the backfield, etc... Now we can offer the WRs, maybe we shore up OL in FA, TE is a black hole, RB is TBD.

My guess is that is what Elway is thinking. Suppose we take Keenum, trade for and extend Ja'Wuan James, draft someone like Sony Michel to pair with Booker, and then take Nelson Round 1? Or trade back and take Hernandez and a D player Round 1? I can see the thinking. The problem is Keenum has proven repeatedly what he is, and unless he turned a corner, last year seems to be an anomaly.

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think for Keenum to succeed he needs the type of situation Minnesota had. Two solid WRs, a good OL, weapons in the backfield, etc... Now we can offer the WRs, maybe we shore up OL in FA, TE is a black hole, RB is TBD.

My guess is that is what Elway is thinking. Suppose we take Keenum, trade for and extend Ja'Wuan James, draft someone like Sony Michel to pair with Booker, and then take Nelson Round 1? Or trade back and take Hernandez and a D player Round 1? I can see the thinking. The problem is Keenum has proven repeatedly what he is, and unless he turned a corner, last year seems to be an anomaly.

We lack 4 elements MIN had in 2017: 

1.  The variety in pass catching weapons.   It wasn’t just their top 2 WR they had a viable TE and game breaker in McKinnon as a pass catcher (and Cook first 4 games).  I like Booker a lot as our pass catcher but not the same.  

2.  Their D was amazing at getting them leads early.   That set up run and play action and cleaner pockets. 

3.  D faced - this is huge.  The Det GB and CHI pass D’s and the 2017 schedule faced (with their pass rushes too) were one of the worst in the league   

4.  The OC was brilliant in adjusting the scheme.  

Even if we addressed OL....those are huge flags to commit to him.  1-year bridge?  Im not crazy about but ok little risk.  

The situation MIN had would help almost any QB succeed.   But take some of those elements away and then you see what that QB is made of.   The NO game and PHI game and WAS reg season game showed when the gamescript tested him he could make game changing bonehead mistakes (the Hail Mary makes ppl forget his decisions created the chance for NO to come back in the 2H).

Even then it was a 1-year bridge I’d see why.  But to pass up on this opportunity to finally address and fix our QB situation?   Holy hell Batman.   

Elway don’t do it. 

It's lying season guys. Like the hypocrisy sometimes baffles me. So Denver interviews Mayfield and likes him as well as the dolphins and it's lying season. But when there's  chatter coming out keenum is the only qb option people buy it? We have no clue what's going on.

Things we don't know.

- how high is elway on the young qbs that are on our roster?

- broncofan alludes to us missing key elements that are non existent on offense.

- how desperate is elway? I think he could milk teams dry in a trade down so why wouldn't he take advantage of that? Miami or the bills could have a bad year of Cousins goes to the Jets especially. There's so many variables. 

Arkna also alluded to wanting a qbotf sounding nice until we don't protect him and get him weapons then he's  just a qb.

I think this is all to get Rosen to fall personally. 

Archived