Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

It's lying season, but when every Broncos beat writer is saying the same thing, I tend to believe it. Denver wants and needs a QB. That much is inarguable. It's not like KC with Mahomes last year. Clearly Cousins was Plan A and that was no secret. Keenum is Plan B, and that appears not to be a secret either. Now, it could be true that a QB at 5 is absolutely still in play and there's misinformation there. I will agree with that.

If Denver signs Keenum, I'd like to see the deal essentially be 1-year and not tie up cap in multiple years. At least we can cut bait if the experiment sucks.

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

It's lying season, but when every Broncos beat writer is saying the same thing, I tend to believe it. Denver wants and needs a QB. That much is inarguable. It's not like KC with Mahomes last year. Clearly Cousins was Plan A and that was no secret. Keenum is Plan B, and that appears not to be a secret either. Now, it could be true that a QB at 5 is absolutely still in play and there's misinformation there. I will agree with that.

If Denver signs Keenum, I'd like to see the deal essentially be 1-year and not tie up cap in multiple years. At least we can cut bait if the experiment sucks.

Exactly, so lets wait to see a deal, lets wait to see a trade down, lets wait to see if we get a qbotf later in the first or second.

There's too many variables I keep a level head until the off season plays out. Also I think if we can surround keenum with the support he got in Minn we can go far. Heck they went to the title game in a much tougher conference.

It just doesn't make sense to get younger except at qb.

Re: Keenum.

If we sign him, I will not be very happy, but if it's a longer term deal instead of a 1 year stopgap style contract, I will be furious.  

We're quite a ways off from replicating Minnesota's roster, even with the #5 pick this year, as evidenced by Cousins preferring that destination.  There is no way IMO that Keenum is even half the player he was last year if he plays in Denver

12 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Re: Keenum.

If we sign him, I will not be very happy, but if it's a longer term deal instead of a 1 year stopgap style contract, I will be furious.  

We're quite a ways off from replicating Minnesota's roster, even with the #5 pick this year, as evidenced by Cousins preferring that destination.  There is no way IMO that Keenum is even half the player he was last year if he plays in Denver

I honestly think there is a chance that Keenum has become a solid to good QB in a vacuum. I'm still not high on it, but I was impressed by him and sometimes you just need a year to turn the corner. But do I want to pass on Josh Rosen to pay Keenum? No sireeeee

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

It's lying season guys. Like the hypocrisy sometimes baffles me. So Denver interviews Mayfield and likes him as well as the dolphins and it's lying season. But when there's  chatter coming out keenum is the only qb option people buy it? We have no clue what's going on.

Things we don't know.

- how high is elway on the young qbs that are on our roster?

- broncofan alludes to us missing key elements that are non existent on offense.

- how desperate is elway? I think he could milk teams dry in a trade down so why wouldn't he take advantage of that? Miami or the bills could have a bad year of Cousins goes to the Jets especially. There's so many variables. 

Arkna also alluded to wanting a qbotf sounding nice until we don't protect him and get him weapons then he's  just a qb.

I think this is all to get Rosen to fall personally. 

Lying season is used by teams to try and fake other teams out on draft choices and induce those teams to take guys higher / lower than others want them to.  Or to fake people out on trade talks about how much a player is in demand.  Or how badly you want to move the player (MIA and Landry being exhibit A).  Or trying to negotiate a better deal with another FA who is more expensive. 

It doesn’t apply even 1/10 as much as FA.  In FA you can’t really fake out other teams - you can only make a player sign cheaper if you present another alternative.   For the highest FA left you either make a bid or you don’t.   

Putting rumors Keenum is in play doesn’t create leverage for us since we aren’t in any trade talks.  It doesn’t create a market for a draft guy to fall because if we don’t sign him - someone else who needs a QB will.   

If the beat reporters are putting it out there for a draft / trade scenario lying season cautions apply.   But in FA there is no real purpose served unless we were trying to leverage a team trying to trade a QB.  Or trying to drive down the price on a higher priced cut.   Which isn’t the case. So you have to take it more seriously. 

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I honestly think there is a chance that Keenum has become a solid to good QB in a vacuum. I'm still not high on it, but I was impressed by him and sometimes you just need a year to turn the corner. But do I want to pass on Josh Rosen to pay Keenum? No sireeeee

Maybe he has, but if he's the starter that means Kelly and Lynch are the backups and I really don't look forward to hearing people clamor for Kelly the moment Keenum has a bad game haha.

This is a pretty decent QB class IMO, and we are in position to get one, maybe have our choice if Barkley, Nelson, Chubb all go early.  Cant waste it 

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Exactly, so lets wait to see a deal, lets wait to see a trade down, lets wait to see if we get a qbotf later in the first or second.

There's too many variables I keep a level head until the off season plays out. Also I think if we can surround keenum with the support he got in Minn we can go far. Heck they went to the title game in a much tougher conference.

It just doesn't make sense to get younger except at qb.

I disagree with that last point. It absolutely makes sense to get younger. We are the only team in the NFL heavily imbalanced towards FA vs. draft contribution, and we lean way too heavily towards FA. We have minimal contribution from young talent, and frankly, we're not really that talented of a team. It always makes sense to get younger because young talent on cheap contracts are how championships are won.

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

That Klis article is very disturbing. Literally makes it seem like getting to 10 wins this season rather than having a rebuild year is the most important goal. 

I agree, and sadly, I think that is the goal. We would rather have a good showing in a single year, to hell with the future, than actually be planful and build towards the future. It's sad.

4 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Maybe he has, but if he's the starter that means Kelly and Lynch are the backups and I really don't look forward to hearing people clamor for Kelly the moment Keenum has a bad game haha.

This is a pretty decent QB class IMO, and we are in position to get one, maybe have our choice if Barkley, Nelson, Chubb all go early.  Cant waste it 

That’s the point too.  Rarely do we get a chance to get a guy early AND have guys like Darnold/Rosen there.   Not ever year gives you that shot even at 1.5.  It’s totally worth keeping that door open.  

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I disagree with that last point. It absolutely makes sense to get younger. We are the only team in the NFL heavily imbalanced towards FA vs. draft contribution, and we lean way too heavily towards FA. We have minimal contribution from young talent, and frankly, we're not really that talented of a team. It always makes sense to get younger because young talent on cheap contracts are how championships are won.

to add on to what b67 is saying - and i harped on this on my pod last season - is there is a huge difference in having a young team that sucks vs a team full of veterans that sucks. one is completely unbearable to watch (and coach, probably) while the other one has guys playing for contracts/careers/developments etc. 

29 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense I'm saying if you're gonna do it do it at,every position. 

I think Elway is playing this game really well, or the "lying season." Why show your f***cking cards to appease us fans?  I like not know what Elway is going to do...if we don't, then the other teams don't either.  Elway isn't spilling his guts to the masses so that they can plan around our strategies.  Who know what the F***CK is going to happen over the next few days and then the next few months.  From the great Kenny Rogers, ""If you're gonna play the game, boy, You gotta learn to play it right. u got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, And know when to run. You never count your money When you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin' When the dealing's done. Every gambler knows That the secret to survivin' Is knowin' what to throw away And knowin' what to keep. 'Cause every hand's a winner, And every hand's a loser, And the best that you can hope for Is to die in your sleep."

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Lying season is used to fake people out on draft choices and induce teams to take guys higher / lower than others want them to.  Or to fake people out on trade talks about how much a player is in demand.  Or how badly you want to move the player (MIA and Landry being exhibit A).  Or trying to negotiate a better deal with another FA who is more expensive. 

It doesn’t apply even 1/10 as much as FA.  In FA you can’t really fake out other teams.   You either make a bid or you don’t.  

Putting rumors Keenum is in play doesn’t create leverage for us since we aren’t in any trade talks.  It doesn’t create a market for a draft guy to fall because if we don’t sign him - someone else who needs a QB will.   

If the beat reporters are putting it out there for a draft / trade scenario lying season cautions apply.   But in FA there is no real purpose served unless we were trying to leverage a team trying to trade a QB.  Or trying to drive down the price on a higher priced cut.   Which isn’t the case. So you have to take it more seriously. 

How doesn't it aid us at the 5th spot? Teams behind us will be hesitant to trade ahead of us because we have golden boy keenum having rosen fall right into our lap at 5. Or it views us as a team to trade with because we want to have the best roster possible I think it's genius.  This is the first year I can rememver since 2011 elway not showing his hand.

He took a page from Peyton and is trying to read teams above and below in the draft. Only difference is Peyton was reading defenses.

2 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think Elway is playing this game really well, or the "lying season." Why show your f***cking cards to appease us fans?  I like not know what Elway is going to do...if we don't, then the other teams don't either.  Elway isn't spilling his guts to the masses so that they can plan around our strategies.  Who know what the F***CK is going to happen over the next few days and then the next few months.  From the great Kenny Rogers, ""If you're gonna play the game, boy, You gotta learn to play it right. u got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, And know when to run. You never count your money When you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin' When the dealing's done. Every gambler knows That the secret to survivin' Is knowin' what to throw away And knowin' what to keep. 'Cause every hand's a winner, And every hand's a loser, And the best that you can hope for Is to die in your sleep."

Hahah look one post lower we are on the same page.

Archived