Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

I kept wondering how at the 5 spot will Denver ensure the player or 2 they want drop to them. And I got my answer if this keenum deal is team friendly.  If they sign keenum its the only way to read the tea leaves without commiting to a guy long term.

I hope teams buy it though I think it's brilliant strategy.  If Keenum is signed he's gonna be glorified until draft day. Leaving this forum in a frenzy. It's gonna be a fun month.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

How doesn't it aid us at the 5th spot? Teams behind us will be hesitant to trade ahead of us because we have golden boy keenum having rosen fall right into our lap at 5. Or it views us as a team to trade with because we want to have the best roster possible I think it's genius.  This is the first year I can rememver since 2011 elway not showing his hand.

He took a page from Peyton and is trying to read teams above and below in the draft. Only difference is Peyton was reading defenses.

Because we will have signed Keenum well before the draft.  Keenum won’t be getting a 1 year guaranteed deal as a stopgap if other teams see him as the next best available QB in FA    Which is clearly the case.  

If you are suggesting Keenum will be paid multiple years AND Elway is trying to get Rosen to fall that’s a ridiculous premise.   And given the Jets at 1.6 want QB a team, CLE at 1.4 want QB, us being in or out isn’t the sole influencing factor in teams wanting to move up.    Who CLE wants, whether NYG wants Rosen or Darnold, how much IND wants to move back all are more important. 

Look at the whole context - a 1-year stopgap deal tells everyone where we are at.  A muti-year deal in guaranteed money makes our position clear.  That will be well known before the draft.  

Honestly to say Elway isn’t telegraphing himself is beyond ridiculous.  If he passes on Keenum or somehow convinces him to go 1-year guaranteed we know he’s going rookie QB. If he signs Keenum to multiple years guaranteed he’s passing on a rookie at 1.5.   

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because we will have signed Keenum well before the draft.  Keenum won’t be getting a 1 year guaranteed deal as a stopgap if other teams see him as the next best available QB in FA    Which is clearly the case.  

If you are suggesting Keenum will be paid multiple years AND Elway is trying to get Rosen to fall that’s a ridiculous premise.   And given the Jets at 1.6 want QB a team, CLE at 1.4 want QB, us being in or out isn’t the sole influencing factor in teams wanting to move up.    Who CLE wants, whether NYG wants Rosen or Darnold, how much IND wants to move back all are more important. 

Look at the whole context - a 1-year stopgap deal tells everyone where we are at.  A muti-year deal in guaranteed money makes our position clear.  That will be well known before the draft.  

Honestly to say Elway isn’t telegraphing himself is beyond ridiculous.  If he passes on Keenum or somehow convinces him to go 1-year guaranteed we know he’s going rookie QB. If he signs Keenum to multiple years guaranteed he’s passing on a rookie at 1.5.   

I'm thinking a 3 year deal with options. I expect a base salary of 16 mill with a signing bonus of 4 million.  Maybe an incentive deal if Keenum Believes in himself we'll have to see .

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm thinking a 3 year deal with options. I expect a base salary of 16 mill with a signing bonus of 4 million.  Maybe an incentive deal if Keenum Believes in himself we'll have to see .

Keenum is the best QB on paper left in FA with 2-3 teams who can’t bank on a rookie QB falling to them who is ready to play Week 1.   He’d be an idiot to take a 1-year base deal after being 1 step away from out  of the game.   This is his window to get paid and guaranteed money is the only $ that matters in that regard.  

I want no part of him even for 1 year because we can get cheaper bridge QB’s and we need the $ but at multiple years it’s a no brainer.   That’s the scenario when multiple teams are bidding.  

Saying you want him on team friendly terms works when multiple teams aren’t in the bidding and the guys market isn’t hot.   Or if we can be sold as a contender.  Elway used to be able to do that.   Hard to see how a guy with a pulse sees that now.  

5 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Rapsheet is suggesting we'll be interested in McCarron because of he and Joseph's Cincy link.

I wouldn't mind him as a backup if he came cheap. Not sure if I'd be confident in him as a starter.

If he was the 1-year stopgap for our rookie and he was cheap, I'd be on board.   Certainly over going Keenum at the market price/years he'll get and not even considering a rookie QB.

I say that with absolutely no conviction McCarron is the answer, BTW.   But our long-term health isn't going to be tied into one of the stopgap guys available in FA.  

1 minute ago, PFM18 said:

I'd take McCarron and Rookie over Keenum that's for sure.

Keenum and rookie is the better option, but it seems like Keenum is potentially going to be paid as a long term starter and not a bridge guy so if that’s the case I take McCarron and rookie. 

The thing is if we go for Keenum, we don't dictate the terms, he does. He's going to want job security and long-term deal. If we don't offer him that contract, someone else will. If the Klis article that we're going to get either Cousins or Keenum is to be believed, because we want to win 10 games this year rather than the Super Bowl 2-3 years down the road, then I don't even know what to think. 

Archived