Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

So, you don't see 1.1 or 1.2 picks in the 2018 draft getting traded...but, 1.3 & 1.4 will be interesting to watch. If that's the scenario and there are multiple teams interested, then based on past trades I imagine the cost will be very high. In that reality the question is how much is Darnold worth trading up for?

I think Barkley and Rosen go 1-2.   Barkley is putting up a never before seen athletic profile to go with elite tape and size / skills and success in the Big 10 since his rookie season.  

Certainly if a team wants them they can’t gamble on them falling past those 2 picks. 

Typically 2.7 alone is enough by standard draft value to justify a move from 1.5 to 1.3.  Adding the 2019 3rd is factoring the extra cost FWIW.   Keep in mind if IND wants DE Chubb or Nelson they can’t fall too far back.   Nothing is a lock but that’s the thinking.  Maybe we need a 2019 2nd plus 2.7 but given IND would love to get the top EDGE / OL still and get more picks the match definitely is there - IND wants more picks but also love Chubb/Nelson.  Nothing is a lock but it all fits.

EDIT:  Forgot to answer the last Q - given I'm not seeing Rosen available, but Darnold at 1.3 (and a strong likelihood IND trades out to let someone trade up to get him) - I certainly see Darnold worth 2.7 and a 2019 3rd....if the alternative is Josh Allen.   As much as some guys love Mayfield, I'm terrified that for Elway it's Allen if it's not Rosen/Darnold.  Allen's absolute bust floor is worth avoiding - I have a lot of belief Darnold will be a franchise level QB, but his floor is also way safer than Allen's by a fair margin.  That I'd pay for in a heartbeat, so long as it's not a top 5-10 pick next year.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think Barkley and Rosen go 1-2.   Barkley is putting up a never before seen athletic profile to go with elite tape and size / skills and success in the Big 10 since his rookie season.  

Certainly if a team wants them they can’t gamble on them falling past those 2 picks. 

Typically 2.7 alone is enough by standard draft value to justify a move from 1.5 to 1.3.  Adding the 2019 3rd is factoring the extra cost FWIW.   Keep in mind if IND wants DE Chubb or Nelson they can’t fall too far back.   Nothing is a lock but that’s the thinking.  Maybe we need a 2019 2nd plus 2.7 but given IND would love to get the top EDGE / OL still and get more picks the match definitely is there - IND wants more picks but also love Chubb/Nelson.  Nothing is a lock but it all fits.

EDIT:  Forgot to answer the last Q - given I'm not seeing Rosen available, but Darnold at 1.3 (and a strong likelihood IND trades out to let someone trade up to get him) - I certainly see Darnold worth 2.7 and a 2019 3rd....if the alternative is Josh Allen.   As much as some guys love Mayfield, I'm terrified that for Elway it's Allen if it's not Rosen/Darnold.  Allen's absolute bust floor is worth avoiding - I have a lot of belief Darnold will be a franchise level QB, but his floor is also way safer than Allen's by a fair margin.  That I'd pay for in a heartbeat, so long as it's not a top 5-10 pick next year.

Sounds realistic when you put it that way. Seems like Elway is the wildcard in that he may not want to give up a second round pick to move up for a specific QB. I wonder what Kubiak would do?

22 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Sounds realistic when you put it that way. Seems like Elway is the wildcard in that he may not want to give up a second round pick to move up for a specific QB. I wonder what Kubiak would do?

I should add there’s another terrifying scenario besides Elway standing pat and taking Allen over Mayfield at 1.5 if they are the QB left there - Elway doing exactly what I said above and trading up...to get Allen over Darnold and Mayfield.    I pray Elway and Kubiak have Rosen-Darnold-Allen as the clear 1-2-3 and sees Darnold the same way I do compared to Allen.   That’s certainly no given.    I admit that nighmare has me waking up screaming “nooooo” 2-3x lol.  

If we can't seriously strengthen our OL, specifically our ability to stop A and B gab blitzes and interior pressure the only college QB that's got a chance in Denver is Mayfield.

Sounds great to get a QBOTF but if you let him get hit as often as our QB's do the "OTF" part is a joke.

You know who I think might be screwed in the Cousins mess. The Greenbay Packers.  Aaron Rodgers is reported to be waiting for Cousins to sign. Cousins is rumored to want a 3 year 90 million fully guaranteed deal. Can the Packers one up that with Rodgers? Guy just broke his collar bone again.

37 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You know who I think might be screwed in the Cousins mess. The Greenbay Packers.  Aaron Rodgers is reported to be waiting for Cousins to sign. Cousins is rumored to want a 3 year 90 million fully guaranteed deal. Can the Packers one up that with Rodgers? Guy just broke his collar bone again.

They don’t have a choice they’ve got to.  It’s pricey but you gotta keep the face of the franchise around. 

Also Green Bay is notoriously frugal in free agency so might not affect them *as* much

13 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

They don’t have a choice they’ve got to.  It’s pricey but you gotta keep the face of the franchise around. 

Also Green Bay is notoriously frugal in free agency so might not affect them *as* much

Their gm says they want to be aggressive im free agency hard to imagine if he ups the kirk contract. 

What a time to be an nfl qb to be injured most of the year and still get paid the highest most guaranteed contract is bananas. 

I get it they have no choice I'm just glad I'm not them.

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

They also retain their home grown elite talent at market rates when push comes to shove which balances their aversion to spend big in FA.   Odds are ARod retires a Packer.  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

They also retain their home grown elite talent at market rates when push comes to shove which balances their aversion to spend big in FA.   Odds are ARod retires a Packer.  

I'm  sorry but they've been lacking on d since their superbowl run. I don't think Randal Cobb was worth 12 mill a year. Also they've done a poor job at replenishing their oline talent.

Just now, jolly red giant said:

Would you prefer to give Case Keenum $16m-$17m or take (or trade up) for a QB that could be a bust?

I'd rather take my chances with a draft pick. Anyone of Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold is fine with me. Cousins is not a guy that can carry a team, so it doesn't make since for us to pay him that. We are not a "30 million dollar Kirk Cousins" away from competing.

Archived