Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

32 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Why do I keep hearing Elway say he hasn't given up on Paxton Lynch?

Because he has 2 cheap years left on his contract and Elway hasn’t got his guy yet.  Standard GM speak.  It’s not out of the realm of possibility Lynch competes for the 3rd QB job if we get a rookie / 1-year fill in vet or competes for the backup vs. Kelly / bargain basement vet in TC if we get a rookie QB who starts right away.  

Kelly vs. Lynch competition happens either way.  Nothing lost in waiting to see who wins there.   I am not sold he can be any higher than a very capable backup but my money is on Kelly.  

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because he has 2 cheap years left on his contract and Elway hasn’t got his guy yet.  Standard GM speak.  It’s not out of the realm of possibility Lynch competes for the 3rd QB job if we get a rookie / 1-year fill in vet or competes for the backup vs. Kelly / bargain basement vet in TC if we get a rookie QB who starts right away.  

Kelly vs. Lynch competition happens either way.  Nothing lost in waiting to see who wins there.   I am not sold he can be any higher than a very capable backup but my money is on Kelly.  

Because it would cost $4.5million in dead cap money to dump him. 

Now if someone comes in and offers a half-decent pick then we could see him heading out the door.

8 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Because it would cost $4.5million in dead cap money to dump him. 

Now if someone comes in and offers a half-decent pick then we could see him heading out the door.

True - but Lynch is already on the hook for 2.8M this year no matter what.  Cutting him drops our cap space for 2018 only if we cut him by March 14.    Cutting him at TC defers the 1.7M hit to 2019 and doesn’t change our cap situation.  

Re: pick the FA and draft are so flush with guys whose ceiling are as higher or better than Lynch’s perceived value I don’t see it.  Part of the problem is they would be assuming the 2018 salary and 600K 2019 salary guarantee.  Don’t know why anyone would sign up for that let alone trade a pick.   Hell I don’t even think the XFL or CFL will come calling.  

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: pick the FA and draft are so flush with guys whose ceiling are as higher or better than Lynch’s perceived value I don’t see it.  Part of the problem is they would be assuming the 2018 salary and 600K 2019 salary guarantee.  Don’t know why anyone would sign up for that let alone trade a pick.   Hell I don’t even think the XFL or CFL will come calling.  

And that is probably why we are stuck with him for this season - next season I suspect Elway will eat the $1.9million cap hit - especially if Kelly proves to be better.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:52 PM, Broncofan said:

I should add there’s another terrifying scenario besides Elway standing pat and taking Allen over Mayfield at 1.5 if they are the QB left there - Elway doing exactly what I said above and trading up...to get Allen over Darnold and Mayfield.    I pray Elway and Kubiak have Rosen-Darnold-Allen as the clear 1-2-3 and sees Darnold the same way I do compared to Allen.   That’s certainly no given.    I admit that nighmare has me waking up screaming “nooooo” 2-3x lol.  

I don't think that will happen now. After that combine performance, someone will bite on Allen before us. Wait till his pro day in that thin Laramie air. He'll be throwing at 7200 feet.. I legitimately believe up there, he'll launch one that will push 80 yards and scouts will faint over it. But again, watching his combine (even on his deep throws) the accuracy just isn't there for NFL level play so it's their funeral. Here's how I see it playing out:

1 CLE - Rosen

2 NYG - Darnold

3 IND - I see them trading back depending on Luck's health. Whatever team trades up will take Allen

4 CLE - Barkley

This really leaves us with a couple of choices. IF we can sign Cousins, then it really makes more sense to trade down at this point. If we can't land Cousins then we probably go with Mayfield here. I would prefer Rosen, or a combo of Cousins and Barkley but that's a pipe dream. Either way, I don't think we end up with Allen.

6 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I don't think that will happen now. After that combine performance, someone will bite on Allen before us. Wait till his pro day in that thin Laramie air. He'll be throwing at 7200 feet.. I legitimately believe up there, he'll launch one that will push 80 yards and scouts will faint over it. But again, watching his combine (even on his deep throws) the accuracy just isn't there for NFL level play so it's their funeral. Here's how I see it playing out:

1 CLE - Rosen

2 NYG - Darnold

3 IND - I see them trading back depending on Luck's health. Whatever team trades up will take Allen

4 CLE - Barkley

This really leaves us with a couple of choices. IF we can sign Cousins, then it really makes more sense to trade down at this point. If we can't land Cousins then we probably go with Mayfield here. I would prefer Rosen, or a combo of Cousins and Barkley but that's a pipe dream. Either way, I don't think we end up with Allen.

Chubb’s Combine could put him right into overall BPA with Barkley.   In that event IND may not actually want to move down.  Or only move down to us to ensure they get him.   Keep tracking that.  

Eiter way though Elway could fall in love hard enough to trade up to 1.3 (IND won’t want to go lower if they want Chubb) to get Allen.  That’s the fear.  I agree Allen likely won’t be there at 1.5. 

Just now, Broncofan said:

Chubb’s Combine could put him right into overall BPA with Barkley.   In that event IND may not actually want to move down.  Or only move down to us to ensure they get him.   Keep tracking that.  

Eiter way though Elway could fall in love hard enough to trade up to 1.3 (IND won’t want to go lower if they want Chubb) to get Allen.  That’s the fear.  I agree Allen likely won’t be there at 1.5. 

Ah yes, I forgot about Chubb; good point on that. What's really too bad is that I feel like our pick at number 5 is gonna be kind of a waste. There are 2 QB's and a RB in this years draft that could be total game changers for us, but none of them will be available at 5. You never want to look at it this way, but those wins against the Jets and Colts really screwed us in a season that was lost anyway.

43 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Ah yes, I forgot about Chubb; good point on that. What's really too bad is that I feel like our pick at number 5 is gonna be kind of a waste. There are 2 QB's and a RB in this years draft that could be total game changers for us, but none of them will be available at 5. You never want to look at it this way, but those wins against the Jets and Colts really screwed us in a season that was lost anyway.

It is just as possible that two or even three of the four could be there at 1.5

Barkley to Browns, Nelson to Giants, Chubb to Colts, could all go between 1-4

46 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

It is just as possible that two or even three of the four could be there at 1.5

Barkley to Browns, Nelson to Giants, Chubb to Colts, could all go between 1-4

If the Gmen were set on getting Nelson, though, they would likely explore trading back.

Barkley/Chubb's combine is making moving down beyond the top 5 a no-go, but G's devaluation certainly makes moving back very enticing (personally, I'll believe NYG is going non-QB only when I hear their pick made, FWIW).

Either way, to say that the first 5 picks are even more unpredictable this year than in years gone by is a massive understatement.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:52 PM, Broncofan said:

I should add there’s another terrifying scenario besides Elway standing pat and taking Allen over Mayfield at 1.5 if they are the QB left there - Elway doing exactly what I said above and trading up...to get Allen over Darnold and Mayfield.    I pray Elway and Kubiak have Rosen-Darnold-Allen as the clear 1-2-3 and sees Darnold the same way I do compared to Allen.   That’s certainly no given.    I admit that nighmare has me waking up screaming “nooooo” 2-3x lol.  

To me the nightmare scenario, and seems very, very plausible at this point, is that we sign Case Keenum for ~$15m and then turn around a draft one of the QBs at No. 5. 

As I've said several times the average "bridge" veteran +  a rookie we plan to redshirt is the very worst possible thing this team could do. Now, I think if we do that the pick at No. 5 if he's available has to be Allen, assuming Darnold and Rosen are both gone as Allen could use a year to sit and hone some of his short-comings under Musgrave's eye but even still that's would be a horrible move on so many levels. Even if the pick at No. 5 ends up being Allen (or, for that matter, Mayfield) he needs to start from day one. 

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

To me the nightmare scenario, and seems very, very plausible at this point, is that we sign Case Keenum for ~$15m and then turn around a draft one of the QBs at No. 5. 

As I've said several times the average "bridge" veteran +  a rookie we plan to redshirt is the very worst possible thing this team could do. Now, I think if we do that the pick at No. 5 if he's available has to be Allen, assuming Darnold and Rosen are both gone as Allen could use a year to sit and hone some of his short-comings under Musgrave's eye but even still that's would be a horrible move on so many levels. Even if the pick at No. 5 ends up being Allen (or, for that matter, Mayfield) he needs to start from day one. 

If the Broncos draft Allen, let's say...why not just sign Josh McCown?  He is going to be a coach someday anyway...and he knows his role...which would be to sustain things till the rookie is good enough...plus, he can win some games for you.  

Just now, jsthomp2007 said:

If the Broncos draft Allen, let's say...why not just sign Josh McCown?  He is going to be a coach someday anyway...and he knows his role...which would be to sustain things till the rookie is good enough...plus, he can win some games for you.  

I like McCown in a mentor ship role.   However that really makes the draft dependent on getting a QB like Allen.  If Darnold or Rosen are there I think they need to play right away

On 3/3/2018 at 12:34 AM, AKRNA said:

If we can't seriously strengthen our OL, specifically our ability to stop A and B gab blitzes and interior pressure the only college QB that's got a chance in Denver is Mayfield.

Sounds great to get a QBOTF but if you let him get hit as often as our QB's do the "OTF" part is a joke.

What would you like to see done to the OL? I know you're a big fan of Bolles, Leary is an All Pro in his prime and Paradis is one of the most under-rated players at any position in the entire league. RT is a mess and we need a solution there, no more Stephenson/Watson stop-gaps. Do you keep McGovern at OG, who looked passable in some limited action last year. What would your plan be? Do you keep Bolles at LT? Do you move Leary back to LG? What do you at the non-Leary OG spot and what do you do at RT?

You and UK know OL stuff the best out of all us here (by a mile). I'm curious what your plan is? 

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Indy could switch with the Jets and prob still get Chubb (assuming Denver doesn't land Cousins), so Denver would be forced to make a deal with Indy if they are targeting the same player as the Jets. That's the price of beating Indy...muhahahaha...doh.

Archived