Broncos QB Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

14 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I like McCown in a mentor ship role.   However that really makes the draft dependent on getting a QB like Allen.  If Darnold or Rosen are there I think they need to play right away

I am luke warm on Darnold and Rosen...I think if you are going to do it...go Allen...he has too much upside....if you f***ck up again...there will be a FA QB available next year to court, or another project QB to look at...in the mean time you have Paxton who should get better and he doesn't...you get to see what you have in Chad Kelly. 

Mark my words if Case Keenum is a Bronco Baker Mayfield has a 80% chance to be a Bronco.  Case right now is a poor mans Baker Mayfield and what he could be.

Colin Cowerd made the parallel and lets be honest he gets help to come up with his material. I was at first opposed to the move lile AAA. But I'll ask you this what qb has done a better job of coming from a spread offense in college football to the pros?

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Mark my words if Case Keenum is a Bronco Baker Mayfield has a 80% chance to be a Bronco.  Case right now is a poor mans Baker Mayfield and what he could be.

Colin Cowerd made the parallel and lets be honest he gets help to come up with his material. I was at first opposed to the move lile AAA. But I'll ask you this what qb has done a better job of coming from a spread offense in college football to the pros?

Are you asking what QB has done a better job than Keenum coming from a spread offense to the pros?

I’m just a little confused by the wording of your post is all

3 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Are you asking what QB has done a better job than Keenum coming from a spread offense to the pros?

I’m just a little confused by the wording of your post is all

Yes thats what I'm asking especially from the college he came from? He has a size similar to Mayfield. And they both aren't athletic freaks like a Cam Newton or Desean Watson. 

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Yes thats what I'm asking especially from the college he came from? He has a size similar to Mayfield. And they both aren't athletic freaks like a Cam Newton or Desean Watson. 

Case had a prolific career at Houston but if he’s the benchmark for spread QBs that doesn’t bode well for Mayfield.  We just don’t have the coaching IMO for a QB with questions or things that need coaching up.  It’s why I was on the Cousins bandwagon and why I prefer Rosen and Darnold to Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson.

Maybe Musgrave is better than I’m giving him credit for but a rookie QB scares me as Denver hasn’t developed one since god knows when.  

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Case had a prolific career at Houston but if he’s the benchmark for spread QBs that doesn’t bode well for Mayfield.  We just don’t have the coaching IMO for a QB with questions or things that need coaching up.  It’s why I was on the Cousins bandwagon and why I prefer Rosen and Darnold to Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson.

Maybe Musgrave is better than I’m giving him credit for but a rookie QB scares me as Denver hasn’t developed one since god knows when.  

Fresno State  had a spread too right? And Musgrave was the man with Carr. Between Keenum and Musgrave Mayfield would suceed. I would love Josh McCown though.  Just don't think he's durable enough tbh. 

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am luke warm on Darnold and Rosen...I think if you are going to do it...go Allen...he has too much upside....if you f***ck up again...there will be a FA QB available next year to court, or another project QB to look at...in the mean time you have Paxton who should get better and he doesn't...you get to see what you have in Chad Kelly. 

I can't imagine a worse QB room for Josh Allen to develop in than Paxton Lynch and Chad Kelly. LOFL. 

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What would you like to see done to the OL? I know you're a big fan of Bolles, Leary is an All Pro in his prime and Paradis is one of the most under-rated players at any position in the entire league. RT is a mess and we need a solution there, no more Stephenson/Watson stop-gaps. Do you keep McGovern at OG, who looked passable in some limited action last year. What would your plan be? Do you keep Bolles at LT? Do you move Leary back to LG? What do you at the non-Leary OG spot and what do you do at RT?

You and UK know OL stuff the best out of all us here (by a mile). I'm curious what your plan is? 

So, I like Leary and Bolles where they're at. Our LG is a mess though. Has too much a problem with A and B gap blitzes and stunts. He has slow recognition and not enough athletic ability to account for it.

I was really skeptical about Hernandez until I saw his combine results. Pretty amazing lateral quickness for a guy his size. That's why I liked Price too. Anyway, If we can shore up the interior RT is a bit less of an issue. I think we can solve LG though with a high draft pick.

Paradis should bounce back and I really like McGovern as swing interior depth. We really need some quality depth!!!

I'm just as curious as everyone here to see what they do. Without patching theinterior though it'll be a long year for anyone we put behind center.

I'm still convinced we have no shot on Cousins.  Not surprised more reports are leaning this way.   They just have a much better team and cap health.  

Gotta side with the anti-Keenum sentiment.  Fortunately, as Keenum likely is the next QB on teams' wish list in FA - he will get an offer for more guaranteed years than a 1-year deal - which should eliminate us from contention.  Honestly, that's a good thing, given how much $ he'll command.  If he was cheap, 1-year, sure, why not.  But he won't be - so paired with a rookie, that's a no-go.  

Vet-wise, if a rookie at 1.5 is our plan, we'll have to wait - for the vet that is happy to be a 1-year, cheap placeholder.  It won't be the top 2-3 guys in FA, they'll get guaranteed deals for more $, from teams that can't bank on getting one of the top 4 QB's in the draft.   We know we are getting one if it's not Cousins.   Our vet choice won't be sexy or glamorous, and it might even wait until after the draft to make that call, as if we're lucky enough to get a Rosen/Darnold, there should be little to no push to sit them.  I'd include Mayfield, but I really think he isn't on our radar unless the 3 guys ahead of him are gone (which seems less likely with Barkley's and Chubb's great Combine work).

50 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

SMH. This is a stretch even for you.

No offense, but there is absolutely no logical conclusion that would connect signing Keenum and drafting Mayfield, except that both would be foolish decisions. Now, you're right that Keenum + QB at No. 5 is a option. It scares the hell out of me that that is a real possibility but there is a chance, a good one IMO, it is what transpires this off season. But to make some leap that signing Keenum has any bearing on which QB we would draft at No. 5 and to leap even further and say that that's 80% likely to be Mayfield makes no sense. Cowherd is a sports talk shock jock, a hot-taker and there is little reason to believe he has any sources of merit in Dove Valley. 

Firstly, Keenum isn't signing with a team to be a one-year (or less) mentor to some rookie. He is signing to be the franchise QB. Is he a franchise QB? I think not. And some team is going to get burned paying him like he is. Even worse, if he signs with Denver and then we turn around and draft someone at No. 5 he is going to be resentful and regret signing here because he knows he will be replaced, sooner rather than later. Because of this, I think Keenum ends up signing with either Arizona, Buffalo or Miami. 

Secondly, I've said this before, and I know you and some other fans like Mayfield, I just don't think Elway and the powers that be who will be making this decision will agree. Elway, Kubiak, Musgrave, Sullivan, i.e. the brain trust, those are old school guys who will prefer a more conventional QB. I would even be a little bit surprised if, in a scenario where Rosen, Allen and Darnold all go in the top four, that we take Mayfield at five. In that case it wouldn't surprise me to see us taking another player at No. 5 or trade down and take Rudolph or Falk in the second round as a developmental prospect behind Keenum. 

The more I think about it, the more I think Case Keenum + rookie isn't actually an option for us.  

We all know Kirk Cousins is Plan A but they have to have a Plan B formulated if Plan A doesn't come to fruition.

If Plan B is Keenum, there's no reason to draft a rookie at No. 5 because Keenum is going to require a longer-term, high guaranteed money contract. A number of teams who don't land Cousins will probably go pretty hard for Keenum, raising the market price for his services. Are you going commit to three years and ~$40m guaranteed to a guy who won't even be your sure-fire starter when camp opens? Thus Cousins is Plan A but I don't think Plan B is Keenum + rookie at No. 5, it could be Keenum or rookie at No. 5 but I don't think it's combination. 

Plan B could be Keenum + another top-tier free agent (e.g. Nate Solder) + non-QB BPA in the draft, on either side of the ball, on days one and two. 

Plan B could be rookie with the first pick, which means we would be willing to do/trade whatever it takes to land said QB. I would wager at this point the No. 1 QB on the board at Dove Valley would be Rosen, enough has leaked out here and there that he's the one they prefer. If this is the plan, then don't expect a free agent QB to be signed unless he is a sure-fire, "you're being signed to compete for the backup job with Paxton Lynch and Marchine Gun Kelly," kind of signing. 

Plan B could be cheap one-year veteran QB rental (probably McCown) + Josh Allen at No. 5 but that's only done if we are nearly absolutely certain that Allen will last to No. 5 and we announce at that time that Allen starts the year as No. 2 and won't be starting until at least mid-season, if at all, as a rookie. 

They just can't go into the year repeating the Team Trevor or Team Paxton kind of thing they've done the last two years. We have to either have our starting QB signed before the draft or take him with our first pick. The veterans - Von, CHJ, Wolfe, Leary - are not going to sit by for a repeat of 2017. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

So, I like Leary and Bolles where they're at. Our LG is a mess though. Has too much a problem with A and B gap blitzes and stunts. He has slow recognition and not enough athletic ability to account for it.

I was really skeptical about Hernandez until I saw his combine results. Pretty amazing lateral quickness for a guy his size. That's why I liked Price too. Anyway, If we can shore up the interior RT is a bit less of an issue. I think we can solve LG though with a high draft pick.

Paradis should bounce back and I really like McGovern as swing interior depth. We really need some quality depth!!!

I'm just as curious as everyone here to see what they do. Without patching theinterior though it'll be a long year for anyone we put behind center.

I'm not convinced we don't kick Leary over to LG (his natural position), stick McGovern at RG, and draft Crosby or Kolton Miller for RT. I think that may leave us in an overall better position, but who knows.

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Case Keenum + rookie isn't actually an option for us.  

We all know Kirk Cousins is Plan A but they have to have a Plan B formulated if Plan A doesn't come to fruition.

If Plan B is Keenum, there's no reason to draft a rookie at No. 5 because Keenum is going to require a longer-term, high guaranteed money contract. A number of teams who don't land Cousins will probably go pretty hard for Keenum, raising the market price for his services. Are you going commit to three years and ~$40m guaranteed to a guy who won't even be your sure-fire starter when camp opens? Thus Cousins is Plan A but I don't think Plan B is Keenum + rookie at No. 5, it could be Keenum or rookie at No. 5 but I don't think it's combination. 

Plan B could be Keenum + another top-tier free agent (e.g. Nate Solder) + non-QB BPA in the draft, on either side of the ball, on days one and two. 

Plan B could be rookie with the first pick, which means we would be willing to do/trade whatever it takes to land said QB. I would wager at this point the No. 1 QB on the board at Dove Valley would be Rosen, enough has leaked out here and there that he's the one they prefer. If this is the plan, then don't expect a free agent QB to be signed unless he is a sure-fire, "you're being signed to compete for the backup job with Paxton Lynch and Marchine Gun Kelly," kind of signing. 

Plan B could be cheap one-year veteran QB rental (probably McCown) + Josh Allen at No. 5 but that's only done if we are nearly absolutely certain that Allen will last to No. 5 and we announce at that time that Allen starts the year as No. 2 and won't be starting until at least mid-season, if at all, as a rookie. 

They just can't go into the year repeating the Team Trevor or Team Paxton kind of thing they've done the last two years. We have to either have our starting QB signed before the draft or take him with our first pick. The veterans - Von, CHJ, Wolfe, Leary - are not going to sit by for a repeat of 2017. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If a veteran gets signed, he's going to be the starter, and that's basically the end of discussion. If they take a rookie, he will sit and learn, unless the season is an utter dumpster fire.

I don't think we'll go into this season without a vet QB in FA though. I mean, maybe it's possible some guys don't sign until post draft, but Keenum will not be one of those guys. To your point though Dan, I'm skeptical that Keenum would accept a 1-year deal here over a multi year guaranteed deal elsewhere. Denver may be "targeting" Keenum, but it doesn't mean he's signing here.

10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If a veteran gets signed, he's going to be the starter, and that's basically the end of discussion. If they take a rookie, he will sit and learn, unless the season is an utter dumpster fire.

I don't think we'll go into this season without a vet QB in FA though. I mean, maybe it's possible some guys don't sign until post draft, but Keenum will not be one of those guys. To your point though Dan, I'm skeptical that Keenum would accept a 1-year deal here over a multi year guaranteed deal elsewhere. Denver may be "targeting" Keenum, but it doesn't mean he's signing here.

Yeah Keenum isn't accepting a one year deal. He will get a big contract from someone. It won't be Cousins big but it will be substantial and it a multi-year deal with at least $20m guaranteed.

Archived