2018 NFL Combine - Measurements, Random Thoughts etc

DreamKid

Edit: In short, one of the strongest guys I ever played with, who tossed olines and tight ends around for 4 quarters took at really low number of 225 lbs bench presses, simply because he rarely did it and focused on other stuff.

What, exactly, has Orlando Brown focused on? He doesn't have that rep strength? Fine. But he's also slow and his technique is terrible. He even ran out of steam just then, as the rabbit for the mirror drill. I don't care how big and strong he is, he looks like a massive project for whatever NFL team takes him.

7 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

What, exactly, has Orlando Brown focused on? He doesn't have that rep strength? Fine. But he's also slow and his technique is terrible. He even ran out of steam just then, as the rabbit for the mirror drill. I don't care how big and strong he is, he looks like a massive project for whatever NFL team takes him.

Eh. It's game tape that makes someone look like a massive project, not combine tape. 

Just now, coordinator0 said:

Eh. It's game tape that makes someone look like a massive project, not combine tape. 

And his game tape shows a guy who has no technique, but just uses strength to overwhelm college Defensive Ends. His combine performance is just reconfirming that.

Just now, berlin calling said:

where'd you see that? NFLN?

NFLN. It was during a bit where they had multiple coaches talking about their 40 times. So you had Andy Reid and Marrone making jokes etc etc, but yea Jay Gruden said "John just loves himself" after Harbaugh said he would be the fastest.

8 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Hope Orlando Brown doesn’t end up being our 2nd round pick now. Getting Terrance Cody feelings right now 

I've not been keen on him at all, throughout this process. Big and strong just isn't enough to cut it in the NFL. A lineman needs to be in that sweet spot of strength/athleticism/technique, which is why they're so hard to find. Lacking in one is something you can live with, but Brown seems to lack in both athleticism and technique. I don't think he can live on the outside in the NFL, and his high stance, lack of technique and sheer size would make it really difficult to make it inside too.

Now... someone like Will Hernandez? Sign me up. That guy looks like he'll be a beast of a Guard.

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

combine overreactions all over the place.

It's just one indicator. 

But it's more than fair to be concerned when a guy seemingly put little effort into training for the most important fitness test of his life. 

i am all for strengthening the IOL as stated several times, we absolutely need a potential pro bowler to anchor the line after Yandas retirement which is not that far away. just don't wanna hear that "Ravens are good at developing late round talent" blabla. sure they do, but you need some top talent to lead and gel the unit.

Archived