Prospect Deep Dive - Derwin James SS/WILL

DreamKid

"Florida State S Derwin James — “Will play safety. Not going to grow into a [weakside linebacker]. He's got a sleek frame, not a Shawn Taylor body type or Mark Barron. Looked really good, fluid. High-pointed the ball well. He's a natural leader, you can tell. I am good friends with the coaches there ... they love James. Great character.”

https://www.tellicovillageconnection.com/sports/national/article_1a56e70d-37dc-59cd-b3d5-219f14603e4d.html

I figured this would come up at some point. Derwin does have narrow shoulders, but he isn't a small guy by any means and he's stronger than most of the Sams in the league. 

Daniel Jerimiah- "Overall, I see James as a box safety or weak-side linebacker at the next level."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919918/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-20

Jordan Plocher PFF- "James is such a rare prospect that he can play edge rusher, linebacker or safety and do a stand-up job."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-10-players-who-helped-themselves-at-the-combine

Steve Palazzolo PFF- "While the pass-game is the most important piece of James’ top-10 value, he’s also excellent against the run. He attacks the line of scrimmage and finishes tackles once he gets there, as he’s missed only 15 of his 160 career tackle attempts. Whether used as a box safety, as an extra man against the run or perhaps even a “dime” linebacker who will be accounted for by opposing rushing attacks, James has the strength, quicks and tackling ability to make an impact in the run game."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-derwin-james-is-exactly-what-the-nfl-needs-on-defense

Derwin James is a beast and I hope people keep downplaying what he can do, it'll be our gain. Though I doubt this "college DB coach" will have much impact on draft strategy for FOs lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to the Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks 360 on Derwin James.

If we are going to pick a defensive prospect in the 1. round. He could/should be the guy. If we need someone on defense, its a player with the leadership who can make the players around him better. Derwin James sounds like that type of player.

And if he bust, we can call him Derping James. Its a win win.

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

It was a fun couple months when mocks had him as a possibility in the mid-first. Think he's gone top 10.

I believe he can still fall. The guy I believe could take a fall is Ridley. I am listening to a podcast from some danish guys who have dug into Ridleys production and various stats. Former players with his baseline have rarely played well/produced in the NFL. If NFL teams put any weight on measureables and those same statistics, he might fall to the 2. round.

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

It was a fun couple months when mocks had him as a possibility in the mid-first. Think he's gone top 10.

Yeah, I never really thought he was a real possibility. No one that big, versatile, and prototypical should logically slide that far. The only hope was that he’s more box safety than center fielder and those usually go a bit lower. But since he’s good at covering tight ends, that likelihood was reduced as well.. That and the rise of safety-linebacker hybrids.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

I believe he can still fall. The guy I believe could take a fall is Ridley. I am listening to a podcast from some danish guys who have dug into Ridleys production and various stats. Former players with his baseline have rarely played well/produced in the NFL. If NFL teams put any weight on measureables and those same statistics, he might fall to the 2. round.

While I think James could still fall some, I’d put his likelihood of falling to the Ravens at about 15%. Higher than some prospects for sure, but still not very likely. He’s one of the best players regardless of position in this draft. He’s prototypical. He’s got elite level athleticism. Great intangibles. I think he realistically falls no further than the Packers. I’d say that’s his floor.

In terms of Ridley, I agree. I think between he and Moore, he’s more likely to fall to the second round. Only because he’s not the ideal prototype in size nor is he elite in explosiveness for a speedy receiver his size. He has great hips which don’t lie in his 3 cone numbers, but his short shuttle shows on tape. It’s hard for him to reaccelerate when he comes to a sudden stop. All this means is he won’t be as versatile a receiver as Moore.

But I still think he doesn’t see the second round. I could easily see a team like the Patriots scooping him up before he hits the second round. His speed and route running ability would work extremely well there. And I only list them as a sort of last resort team that I doubt let’s him fall out of the first round.

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, I never really thought he was a real possibility. No one that big, versatile, and prototypical should logically slide that far. The only hope was that he’s more box safety than center fielder and those usually go a bit lower. But since he’s good at covering tight ends, that likelihood was reduced as well.. That and the rise of safety-linebacker hybrids.

I would not be surprised at all to see certain players drop due to quarterbacks being pushed up in the draft.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

I would not be surprised at all to see certain players drop due to quarterbacks being pushed up in the draft.

I expect 4-5 QBs to go before our pick. But we are picking 16th. James is one the 5 best non-QBs, so he won't be pushed down far enough.

He's the best DB in the draft. I think there's a better chance Fitzpatrick falls. I watched a lot of his sophomore clips after we drafted Humphrey and thought he was being overrated when he was talked about like a top 5 prospect even then. 

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I expect 4-5 QBs to go before our pick. But we are picking 16th. James is one the 5 best non-QBs, so he won't be pushed down far enough.

He's the best DB in the draft. I think there's a better chance Fitzpatrick falls. I watched a lot of his sophomore clips after we drafted Humphrey and thought he was being overrated when he was talked about like a top 5 prospect even then. 

I completely agree here. I think Fitzpatrick is the worst of the two players. Plus he’s not as big of a leader in the locker room as James. Especially in the social media generation of athletes, you’ve got to take the guy who you know is the better presence and the least distracted by likes and retweets. A locker room presence is as good an indicator as any of that.

Archived