Robert Quinn traded to Dolphins

RamRod

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

He had 6 sacks in the last 4 games of the season he played. Yes, he was starting to come on and was healthy.

Don't like Ebukam as a starter and will likely have a rookie opposite him next year. Don't like that either.

If this means we can sign Joyner/Watkins/Tru out of this it would go a long way.

And I should have said no edge rush now. My mistake.

No, you said no "pass rush now."  I bolded it, you can look at it above.

Ebukam was drafted by us considerably higher than he was projected - that, to me, says that our staff saw something in him and I've learned to trust Wade Phillips when it comes to this stuff, his track record is to good to suggest otherwise.

You're making way, way too many assumptions for this early in the offseason.  Wade's almost always brought in a veteran edge-rusher to his teams (we even did it last season with Barwin).  Wait and see what happens; edge-rushers seek Wade out because they know he puts them in a position to succeed and we're a team on the rise.  We're in prime position to pick up ring-hunting vet EDGE guys the same way Denver did when Ware signed with them.

Moreover, this move will have reciprocal effects, namely with Miami needing to cut someone loose in order to manage their cap.  If Cameron Wake gets cut loose (really depends on how many snaps he played last season, because if it was 55%+ then his full cap-number this year is guaranteed even if Miami releases him), there's a guy who could very well be the 2018 incarnation of the 2014 Ware (albeit without the prior tenure under Wade).

7 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Wow what a surprising move. Definitely getting a pass rusher with one of our early picks. I trust what Snead and McVay will do. 

Guys, weve been talking about this for awhile now, I dont know why anyone is surprised. ESPECIALLY when it was already reported that he was involved in the Peters talks...

I know he played better in the second half of the season, but he still never fit into the defense. There is more to that Edge Rusher spot than just Sacks, and Quinn was less than stellar in those functions.

As far as going forward, we have Samson (who they drafted for a reason), we still have Free Agency, and then the Draft. They are clearly buiding this team like they want it to look, and doing it quickly.

This doesnt allow us to resign our own free agents, we already had that ability, now we can possibly pick up some other Free Agents

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

No, you said no "pass rush now."  I bolded it, you can look at it above.

Ebukam was drafted by us considerably higher than he was projected - that, to me, says that our staff saw something in him and I've learned to trust Wade Phillips when it comes to this stuff, his track record is to good to suggest otherwise.

You're making way, way too many assumptions for this early in the offseason.  Wade's almost always brought in a veteran edge-rusher to his teams (we even did it last season with Barwin).  Wait and see what happens; edge-rushers seek Wade out because they know he puts them in a position to succeed and we're a team on the rise.  We're in prime position to pick up ring-hunting vet EDGE guys the same way Denver did when Ware signed with them.

Moreover, this move will have reciprocal effects, namely with Miami needing to cut someone loose in order to manage their cap.  If Cameron Wake gets cut loose (really depends on how many snaps he played last season, because if it was 55%+ then his full cap-number this year is guaranteed even if Miami releases him), there's a guy who could very well be the 2018 incarnation of the 2014 Ware (albeit without the prior tenure under Wade).

Hey Turd, I know what I did say. I SHOULD have said edge rush instead. That is why I responded and said SHOULD have said edge rush.

Now I read we save 12Mil in cap room with this move. If that means we sign Tru/Joyner/Watkins I'll be less pissed.

And the OLB/Pass rush market is thin this year. That's why Detroit tagged Ziggy Ansah. Can you give some examples of ring hunting vet Edge guys who we could sign?

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Can you give some examples of ring hunting vet Edge guys who we could sign?

Those type of guys are usually cap casualties, and would not have been cut yet (likely soon though). But there are also plenty of upside/potential guys out there.

I would imagine we are angling to get Trent Murphy in here. Galette/MePhee/Ford are all guys who have talent, but have been injured that i could easily see as rotational guys to pair up with Samson or a rookie and cost very little at this point. And I think there is a god chance (depending on his tender, as long as its not the 2nd rounder) we might be seeing Shaq Barrett in horns next year.

PLus there is talent through the 4th round of this Draft that have Day 1 impact rushers.

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

And the OLB/Pass rush market is thin this year. That's why Detroit tagged Ziggy Ansah. Can you give some examples of ring hunting vet Edge guys who we could sign?

Pernell McPhee (health has been a concern with him, production when healthy hasn't) is one.

Dwight Freeney is still out there (shockingly enough).  He's not a every-down player, but paired with a rookie to mentor he can still get at it and has experience playing in a 1-gapping 3-4 and as a 7- and 9-Tech.  Lamarr Houston is coming off a 5-sack season last year, including 4 in 5 games with Chicago after resigning with them.

I'm not all that optimistic he'll leave North Carolina after the to-do he made about going back, but there's also this guy by the name of Julius Peppers who posted 11 sacks last season despite being damn near 40.  A lot on that front will probably depend on whether the Panthers opt to bring him back and if not whether he decides he wants to keep playing.

And as @StLunatic88 pointed out, that's without taking into account the guys who traditionally end up becoming cap-casualties for teams.  I don't know how much I like the fit, but there's a fair chance Vinny Curry sees a release.  I already mentioned Cam Wake (depending on how much he managed to get guaranteed by LTBE's last season).  I can certainly see a world where the Chiefs (particularly with the pattern they've been on) cut ties with Tamba Hali.

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Guys, weve been talking about this for awhile now, I dont know why anyone is surprised. ESPECIALLY when it was already reported that he was involved in the Peters talks...

I know he played better in the second half of the season, but he still never fit into the defense. There is more to that Edge Rusher spot than just Sacks, and Quinn was less than stellar in those functions.

As far as going forward, we have Samson (who they drafted for a reason), we still have Free Agency, and then the Draft. They are clearly buiding this team like they want it to look, and doing it quickly.

This doesnt allow us to resign our own free agents, we already had that ability, now we can possibly pick up some other Free Agents

For me, seeing that we wouldn’t trade him in the Peters deal actually made me more confident he’d be a ram next year. 

I think this will allow us to bring back our 3 guys, or maybe take a run at Poe if Tru’s market gets too high. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

He had 6 sacks in the last 4 games of the season he played. Yes, he was starting to come on and was healthy.

Don't like Ebukam as a starter and will likely have a rookie opposite him next year. Don't like that either.

If this means we can sign Joyner/Watkins/Tru out of this it would go a long way.

And I should have said no edge rush now. My mistake.

Two against each of Arizona and Seattle's bad Olines and 1 vs Philly missing their LT. He had one against New Orleans who had a good line and he was largely non existent in the playoff game. 

So we've traded Quinn and his $12 million cap hit, our 4th round pick in 2018, our 6th round pick in 2018 and a 2nd in 2019 for Marcus Peters, Miami's 4th in 2018, Miami's 6th in 2018 and KC's 6th in 2018.

A lot of Rams fans this whole off season have way over estimated the value we could get from some of our players. Look at what we got in an Pro Bowl corner like Peters at his age on his rookie deal. It's laughable that people are upset we got a 4th round pick for Quinn with his age, salary and injury history when that's what we gave up this year for Peters with a possible higher pick the next year. This was a damned good trade yet again by Trader Les that sexy bastard. This will help us to resign Joyner and Watkins as well as extend Donald. 

Well, i like Quinn as i person since the draft, his story, has a very good character and always smiling on the field or outside the field. It's sad to see him traded, it was like the Chris long Cut or Hayes traded...

Damn this Dline will be much miss Quinn Brockers Donald Long.

But in the field it's make sense. Despite his sacks in the second part of the season, i didn't think he was doing a good job in 3-4 OLB. 

We save cap and like something i read, we are going to rebuild our LB Corp and that means that Barron would be the next to go. 

The Robert Quinn trade signals what could be a complete makeover of the Rams' linebacking core. They might need two new OLBs, with Connor Barwin set to become a free agent. And they could cut ILB Mark Barron, which would free up $22M in cap space the next three years.

Well at least, Snead, McVay and Phillips made the same conclusion than us with the last playoff game. Not capable to stop the run, we lost the game.

They identify the issue and try to resolve it. That's what I like!

21 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

In a draft weak of pass rushers, they must have a plan in free agency.

Junior Galette? Trent Murphy? Alex Okafor?

To you.

I really like Key and Hubbard. Landry according to PFF is up there in terms of overall talent in this draft and many people seem to like Davenport. So to you there might not be but I think there is some talent and a few will Be there when the Rams pick at 23.

1 hour ago, chris00cm said:

In a draft weak of pass rushers, they must have a plan in free agency.

Junior Galette? Trent Murphy? Alex Okafor?

I just don't see it in FA this year. I'm not sure what we do. I guess we'll see what the plan is.

I do like Hercules Mata'afa in the Draft, but I really wanted us to spend our top pick on a guy like LVE, Payne, Settle, etc.

Archived