Calvin Ridley - 1st round option

DreamKid

15 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I would still be thrilled with Ridley at 16. 

Great player, and while his age isn't ideal, his prime years would align with what we think will be Flacco's last run. Creates separation with ease, big time acceleration and explosion, natural catcher, alpha mentality, QB friendly when a play extends or breaks down, YAC ability, crisp savvy routes. He really has everything you want except big time 50/50 ability, size, and youth.

20 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Ridley is really, really good though.

The closer we get to the draft the lower my preference for Ridley. Perhaps it’s overthinking it, but I don’t think so. His combine validates what I saw from him on tape. For a quickness/explosive guy, he needs long strides to build his speed up. Which reflects in his short shuttle testing. He has good hips, but isn’t great at recreating explosion from a standstill. It’s why he ran a 4.44, but it looked like he had to exert a lot of effort.

I see that and with his frame, I see lower body issues sparking up with him. He runs heavy footed and has thin legs to boot. That doesn’t sound like a great combination.

So for a players whose game is built on speed, route running, explosiveness, and quickness; I don’t like his chances of being a great player when he lacks elite explosiveness or elite speed. I was really hoping his speed was 4.35 or so, as it stands I don’t see much separating Ridley from a player like Michael Gallup.

I love both options, but Gallup could potentially be had at our pick in the 2nd, yet Ridley would have to waste our top draft resource.

Calvin Ridley's explosion in and out of cuts while moving is what makes him elite, it's what helps him constantly get crazy separation. You could see during the on field drills how insane his burst is, and his stop start is super high level. It isn't easy to get Michael Irvin to fall all over you, unless your holding coke, but he was loving Ridley. His downside is obvious though, at the end of his 1st contract he'll be 29 and he probably is near or at his ceiling. Which makes me think he'll fall right into our laps at #16, and the FO will take him with no hesitation. He'll be a great weapon for Flacco to close out his career with, but man will fans start praying someway or somehow we trade up for or Moore falls to our second round pick.

I loved how Calvin stopped the 40 on his own because he didn't like his start, that takes some balls and you rarely if ever see players do that at the combine but he did it multiple times. That's a number one mentality right there, that's just who he is.

Calvin will be the exception to whatever group he's now lumped in with. He's a proven commodity, no one is questioning his ability nor should they. The problem is he's likely a finished commodity and as his athletic profile suggests there isn't much room for untapped growth from him. He's a great weapon for a team ready to win now, not for a team building from the ground up. He isn't a 10+ year guy but I see him being effective for 6 to maybe 7, and with Flacco entering his twilight years that's fine for us. He's a number one option in the passing game that will be able to challenge any corner and he would change our offense's tier instantly. As far as his game goes he has everything but high level 50/50 ability and his frame will come with injuries here and there, other than that we'll be getting a beast who hopefully helps us get a couple more rings.

Ridley being available would be a far well gift to Ozzie... Best receiver in the draft who is also a Alabama alum... If Ridley falls to us I see a strong possibility that another receiver may be BPA at 52 as well... And honestly I wouldn’t mind double dipping if say a guy like Sutton or Kirk is still there at 52... 

My thing is I see enough guys in this class that have a similar skill set to Ridley.

This WR class and our increased need at the position remind me of the year we took Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson. And what I don’t want to happen is for us to double dip at receiver but have two guys with very similar playing styles that could cannibalize each other’s opportunities.

DJ Moore only has one other receiver that shares his type of game in Christian Kirk (albeit not as prolific IMO), so it’ll be easy to double dip and come away with another talent.

Ridley is very similar to the type of receiver we always tend to draft. Speedy and quick guy that’s more of a deep threat and comeback guy. With better hands  and route running of course. Similar options in this draft could be Michael Gallup, Deontay Burnett, Anthony Miller.. to name a few. Also in free agency similar options might be Mike Wallace. We also have Maclin on the roster as a similar player (likely cap casualty but still).

Perhaps I shouldn’t hold similar, though inferior options, against Ridley. But I also look at it from more of a supply/demand perspective. There seems to be a much higher supply of THAT type of player. Making a guy like Moore a higher commodity even if he’s not quite as talented as Ridley.

Its kind of like Ridley is a sporty Honda Civic and most people have Civics, Accords, and Camrys; whereas Moore is a Suburu WRX. Tough, rugged, all purpose, fast, versatile... but it’s a stick shift. So maybe you’re not as comfortable driving it at first, but once you get it down, it’s the obvious choice. Probably a bad example, but still.?

I don't care about what type of receiver Ridley or anyone else is. At this point, actually some point a year or two ago, all that matters for the Ravens is getting somebody who can be highly productive. Ridley can be that and looks to be one of the surest bets to do so in this class. 

Archived