Calvin Ridley - 1st round option

DreamKid

It’s hilarious how the media will make a big deal about one prospect and downplay another lol.... Ridley runs a decent but not spectacular 4.43... Yet DJ Moore runs a blazing 4.42... lol... I’m like wth.... they kill me yo lmao

1 minute ago, EastsideEZ said:

It’s hilarious how the media will make a big deal about one prospect and downplay another lol.... Ridley runs a decent but not spectacular 4.43... Yet DJ Moore runs a blazing 4.42... lol... I’m like wth.... they kill me yo lmao

A better example is how NFLN hyped up Christian Kirk and declared him a "winner of the day", when he did much worse than DJ Moore someone who he is more directly jockeying against for draft position. They didn't even show DJ Moore's gauntlet. Hey I won't complain though, let the Cowboys or someone draft Kirk.

5 hours ago, alfalcone said:

Let's talk about how Breshad isn't even a year older than Ridley

Yet despite a 3 season head start all Ridley would have to do is average 3 catches and 37 yards per game and score 4 total tds to surpass 11s production... please never mention anything involving perriman again lol

1 hour ago, EastsideEZ said:

Yet despite a 3 season head start all Ridley would have to do is average 3 catches and 37 yards per game and score 4 total tds to surpass 11s production... please never mention anything involving perriman again lol

You are completely missing the point; the older and more physically mature a prospect is, the less potential for future development they have. i.e. he is physically mature, and has been competing again less physically mature athletes.  Amari Cooper is in fact older than Ridley. 

Amari Cooper - born 17 June 1994
Calvin Ridley - born 20 December 1994

I assume @alfalcone was trying to point out that Cooper is only 6 months older than Ridley despite the fact that they are/were both true Juniors coming out of college and that Cooper has already been in the NFL for 3 years, and therefore it's unrealistic to expect the normal amount of improvement time in the NFL may provide to Ridley given how close he is to his physical peak already

I don’t care about any of that... Receivers tend to be good longer than any position other than QB in the NFL... probably because they get the most protection from the referees... We talking a guy who will be 28 or 29 for his second contract not ideal but given the fact that we have never had a drafted receiver worth a market value second contract anyway nor have we developed a receiver worth a darn I think a finished product or close to a finished product would be in our best interest

I am still not on the Calvin Ridley bandwagon. There is some Robert Woods/Marquise Lee about him, and neither of them have proven to be 1. round quality wide receivers.

I still think Ridley is more explosive than both of them. The thing is however, how easily he goes down on contact. When defenders get their hands on him, it is over. I prefer a receiver who can get open, but then I also want them to get those extra yards, and this is where Moore excels, whereas Ridley has to get really open to get those easy YAC.

28 minutes ago, Danand said:

I am still not on the Calvin Ridley bandwagon. There is some Robert Woods/Marquise Lee about him, and neither of them have proven to be 1. round quality wide receivers.

I still think Ridley is more explosive than both of them. The thing is however, how easily he goes down on contact. When defenders get their hands on him, it is over. I prefer a receiver who can get open, but then I also want them to get those extra yards, and this is where Moore excels, whereas Ridley has to get really open to get those easy YAC.

Agreed. And consensus best WR in class =/= best WR potential in class or even best WR.

Moore brings more potential to the table to end up as the better receicer at the next level.

Moore also is quite safe as a player based off of his numbers, advanced statistics, and athleticism. Would rather take Moore’s #1 potential, than Ridley’s #2.

3 hours ago, Danand said:

Those comps are off. Calvin is a vetted talent, he's performed at the highest non-NFL level possible over and over. He just caught a game saving touchdown in the championship game that wasn't even intended for him, the dude can play. 

So you want Ridley to also be a big time YAC player? That would make him a lock for the top 5 if not top 3. We're picking at #16 we're not supposed to be able to pick a perfect wide receiver. 

I'm a fan of DJ Moore as much as anyone but this downplaying of Ridley's ability, not his potential but his pure ability, is getting odd. You won't be able to find one credible analyst who doesn't consider Ridley to be a big time talent, he has question marks like everyone else but he's one of the most NFL ready WRs to come out in years. Calvin is this year's first round version of Cooper Kupp, an over-aged super refined talent, but Ridley has better athleticism, hands, route running etc etc. He's a legit #1 option in the passing the game, I won't call him a bonafide number one in the mold of a Calvin Johnson or Nuk, but he's 100% a player the passing offense can flow through right away. 

Everytime I hear Calvin Ridley speak lately I come away impressed. He really seems like the kind of person that has a chip on his shoulder.

This is pissing me off. I really am trying to make a conscious effort to not like him as a prospect.

I haven’t liked so many players in a draft in a long while and that just means a lot of players that will inevitably go to teams that I hate.

I need one of these prospects to assault an Uber driver or something. Make my decision easy for me.??

17 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I need one of these prospects to assault an Uber driver or something. Make my decision easy for me.??

Derwin James. DJ Moore. Calvin Ridley. We're bound to get one. A Maryland receiver reminiscent of Steve Smith. An Alabama receiver with the last name Ridley, you can just picture the "Ridley Running for the Ravens, Touchdown!". Or a falling BPA defensive talent that could transform our defense. Ozzie's last year at the helm. All the QB craziness that will go one. This draft is going to rule.

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Those comps are off. Calvin is a vetted talent, he's performed at the highest non-NFL level possible over and over. He just caught a game saving touchdown in the championship game that wasn't even intended for him, the dude can play. 

So you want Ridley to also be a big time YAC player? That would make him a lock for the top 5 if not top 3. We're picking at #16 we're not supposed to be able to pick a perfect wide receiver. 

I'm a fan of DJ Moore as much as anyone but this downplaying of Ridley's ability, not his potential but his pure ability, is getting odd. You won't be able to find one credible analyst who doesn't consider Ridley to be a big time talent, he has question marks like everyone else but he's one of the most NFL ready WRs to come out in years. Calvin is this year's first round version of Cooper Kupp, an over-aged super refined talent, but Ridley has better athleticism, hands, route running etc etc. He's a legit #1 option in the passing the game, I won't call him a bonafide number one in the mold of a Calvin Johnson or Nuk, but he's 100% a player the passing offense can flow through right away. 

I don't think those comps are that off. Woods and Lee where probably a little more smooth/while as mentioned Ridley is a bit more explosive. The physical make up is much the same though with a slighter frame. Is ridley going to be good? Yeah, I am betting on it. The rest is just personal preference.

Archived