Seahawks GM John Schneider - No One is Untouchable

showtime

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-general-manager-john-scheider-says-team-has-no-untouchables-this-offseason/

What is everyone's predictions on where any players on our team end up next season?  Some of the more notable names include:

Richard Sherman
Earl Thomas
Kam Chancellor
Michael Bennett
Sheldon Richardson
K.J. Wright
Paul Richardson

It's probably not possible, but I actually want to keep all of those guys and give it one more run.

I don’t know. It’s hard to say. Obviously you know by now how I feel about this?

I’d honestly rather jettison Sherman, Thomas, Kam and Bennett, keep Sheldon. Let P-Rich go. KJ can stay with a restructure or be traded. I’m indifferent.

If we can get third round value plus a piece for our stars? We have to.

On 3/5/2018 at 6:45 PM, One Punch Man said:

I don’t know. It’s hard to say. Obviously you know by now how I feel about this?

I’d honestly rather jettison Sherman, Thomas, Kam and Bennett, keep Sheldon. Let P-Rich go. KJ can stay with a restructure or be traded. I’m indifferent.

If we can get third round value plus a piece for our stars? We have to.

This off-season is really crazy.  There is so much uncertainty around so many key players.

I think a team would be crazy not to trade a third rounder for Earl Thomas.  I know they'd have to pay him a huge extension, but I feel he is worth it.

15 hours ago, showtime said:

This off-season is really crazy.  There is so much uncertainty around so many key players.

I think a team would be crazy not to trade a third rounder for Earl Thomas.  I know they'd have to pay him a huge extension, but I feel he is worth it.

He definitely is. For a team that can afford him, shouldn’t even be a thought.

Looks like Bennett and Sherm are gone. We might sign Cushing. And I hate my life.

2 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

He definitely is. For a team that can afford him, shouldn’t even be a thought.

Looks like Bennett and Sherm are gone. We might sign Cushing. And I hate my life.

What's the point in sighing Cushing?  The Earl Thomas saga should be interesting because either we trade him or extend him.  He's been on record saying that he doesn't/isn't going to play without an extension.

If we can't get Earl extended i think we should trade him if the price is right don't ask me what that is.

Only reason i am saying this is because if both Bennett and Sherman are gone next year is looking like a gap year for a rebuild.

45 minutes ago, Sacks98 said:

If we can't get Earl extended i think we should trade him if the price is right don't ask me what that is.

Only reason i am saying this is because if both Bennett and Sherman are gone next year is looking like a gap year for a rebuild.

Losing Bennett IMO hurts overall because he's still a great run stopper and decent pass rusher. 

That said, keeping Bennett means losing Richardson which is a WAY bigger deal to keep our D-Line decent, especially since Bennett is quickly approaching mid 30s. What wont hurt losing is the penalties. Tied for 2nd most in the league with 10 offsides and 2 neutral zone infractions... those are just devastating for a defense especially given free plays and tiring players out. Bennett also is distracting with political bull****. His new book "White people something something..." really dude? **** off. 

As for Sherman, he's been beat up and may never even recover from his achilles so it may not really even be a loss. 

Gotta remember Duane Brown came in mid season and out of football shape as well. An offseason and new OLine coach along with Fant returning and hopefully some progression along with finding a run game will help our offense tremendously. We will have a hole at tight end with Graham departing though. 

Bobby Wagner/Earl Thomas are the cogs of the defense and if we can ever get McDowell back that should plug a decent hole. We drafted a TON of secondary and spent in free agency last year so I don't think our secondary is quite the liability people are making it out to be... especially if Thomas/Chancellor are healthy, still one of the best (if not the best) safety tandems in the league. 

On 3/9/2018 at 1:00 AM, animaltested said:

I hope the team keeps Kam around. Hill flashed a bit in pre-season, but it would be nice to have a transition year. Slowly integrate Hill in, let Kam take more time off during the game. Can see if Hill really has a spot or not going forward. 

Kam should pull a Pat Willis and retire. Your team is going through a similar situation that we were except you are keeping parts of your coaching staff in place. Kams injury sounds like one that he will have to deal with later in life. He should stick around to get paid one more year but stay on IR

1 hour ago, navysaintsfan said:

What...what is going on in Seattle? I can't understand what the thought process is

See, I understand us purging the team of old players/heavy contract.

But to use the available cap space on players like Dickson, Jordan, Smith.. not go harder or tag young foundational pieces like Sheldon?

I don’t know what’s going on with Seattle as of late. They built this team through smart drafting and contracting, building from within and bringing in budget-friendly pieces to fill the gaps.

Now we’re left with a couple of stars (Thomas, Wagner), one of which doesn’t want to be here and has previously threatened to hold out. KJ Wright is great but he’s making top-10 linebacker money and I don’t think he’s worth that. 

Our drafting as of late hasn’t inspired much confidence. We’ve failed to build around our franchise QB; we’ve been content with giving him below-average protection. And now we don’t have our usuals on defense to lean on.

I hate to say it, and look I’m optimistic as the next, but I’m also realistic in expectation: the Carroll/Schneider era could be coming to a close. 

@One Punch Man true.  We really need to hit this draft.  We need to get a few quality starters/depth pieces from this draft, especially along the offensive line or just offense in general.  Just keep building through the draft. I'm really hoping we can keep Earl Thomas, but it looks like that might not be happening.

6 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

See, I understand us purging the team of old players/heavy contract.

But to use the available cap space on players like Dickson, Jordan, Smith.. not go harder or tag young foundational pieces like Sheldon?

If Sheldon Richardson was a foundational piece, he would have gotten more than a couple of 1 year offers on the market.  He's talented, but not someone you build a defense around.

$11M is a lot to pay for a guy you could get similar production eventually from by drafting a 3T on day 3 (like B.J. Hill of NC State, for example).

I mean, we're talking about a pass rushing DT that had 1 sack last year.   

Archived