Seahawks GM John Schneider - No One is Untouchable

showtime

2 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

If Sheldon Richardson was a foundational piece, he would have gotten more than a couple of 1 year offers on the market.  He's talented, but not someone you build a defense around.

$11M is a lot to pay for a guy you could get similar production eventually from by drafting a 3T on day 3 (like B.J. Hill of NC State, for example).

I mean, we're talking about a pass rushing DT that had 1 sack last year.   

True, but he got ALOT of pressures, and was a truly disruptive force in the run game. 

That being said, getting another interior d-line man in the draft would be awesome. 

9 hours ago, animaltested said:

True, but he got ALOT of pressures, and was a truly disruptive force in the run game. 

That being said, getting another interior d-line man in the draft would be awesome. 

I am underselling his value, but I have long been an opponent of giving fat guys big money long-term deals, when the draft has a few every year.

3 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

I am underselling his value, but I have long been an opponent of giving fat guys big money long-term deals, when the draft has a few every year.

I agree with you.  I was never one that wanted Richardson to continue to be around.  I wouldn't have minded it for a decent cost, but not for $11 million.  I really hope the team comes to some sort of resolution on Earl Thomas really soon.

On 3/17/2018 at 4:23 PM, showtime said:

I agree with you.  I was never one that wanted Richardson to continue to be around.  I wouldn't have minded it for a decent cost, but not for $11 million.  I really hope the team comes to some sort of resolution on Earl Thomas really soon.

At $6.5M (reported APY of Seattle's offer), Richardson is a great addition.  But he's not worth 6% of the cap at $11M, or more.  That's Suh and Donald territory.  The difference of production you get from Richardson and Nazair Jones isn't worth that kind of commitment.

If Schneider saw Richardson as that kind of value, the Transition Tag for DTs this year is $11.4M so he could have used that.

This is definitely the last big money decision to be made before what to do about Earl.  Hopefully this frees up the space to address that situation.  An extension would be the most sensible outcome, because I can't see teams giving up multiple early picks and signing him to Eric Berry's contract.  But he definitely deserves Eric Berry's contract.   Earl Thomas is worth 8% of the cap, no question in my mind.  

25 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

At $6.5M (reported APY of Seattle's offer), Richardson is a great addition.  But he's not worth 6% of the cap at $11M, or more.  That's Suh and Donald territory.  The difference of production you get from Richardson and Nazair Jones isn't worth that kind of commitment.

If Schneider saw Richardson as that kind of value, the Transition Tag for DTs this year is $11.4M so he could have used that.

This is definitely the last big money decision to be made before what to do about Earl.  Hopefully this frees up the space to address that situation.  An extension would be the most sensible outcome, because I can't see teams giving up multiple early picks and signing him to Eric Berry's contract.  But he definitely deserves Eric Berry's contract.   Earl Thomas is worth 8% of the cap, no question in my mind.  

100% agreed.  I'm really hoping the Seahawks sign Earl Thomas to an extension.  I believe Berry was the same age as Thomas is right now when he received his extension.  I read something in the Cowboys forum that someone was saying the Cowboys don't have a problem with the compensation (1st rounder + signing Thomas to an extension), but they just don't have the cap space to do the deal.  I think if the team can get a first rounder for Thomas they would trade him, but I still don't want him to be traded.

@ditchdigger I finally got around to responding to your take on Sheldon and I see the conversation played it self out with other guys lol. 

I get both ends of the argument. In the end I’m happy we didn’t pay $11 mil for him and I don’t think he’s quite worth that APY... At least not now. But he very well could be, if the kid applied himself and was able to settle into a stable situation. His presence/potential cannot be replaced by the likes of a BJ Hill. Maybe a healthy Hurst or Taven Bryan. No real 3T in this draft that I like.

Im starting to warm up a little more to our activity. Signing Jaron Brown and Mo Alexander.. re-signing McDougald. We need to sign someone on the IOL. Somebody. Anybody. Jesus.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

The Jags just released Allen Hurns.  What do you guys think about him?  He's really young and a big WR.

If he comes at the right price, why not.

Also very curious about Jaron Brown though. Hes sneaky athletic and while he never broke out, I feel he could at least post 500-700 yards, 4-5 TDs.

Archived