Players you think are being overhyped/overrated

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

These days allow you to see things so that you can either support or refute things you saw on tape.

Let's take Jarvis for example.  He was in a good scheme that helped OLB's make numbers.  He got a ton of scheme sacks as opposed to talent sacks.  His combine then being a poor combine highlighted the weaknesses and put the tape even into more perspective.  So numbers based on scheme with a bad tape is a bad thing.

But on the flip looking at Orlando Jr, his tape doesn't scare me.  His combine drills looked ok to me.  What the 40, bench, and vert tells me is he needs to get into my teams program.  He needs a proper nutrition program and steady weight training.  In drills his hips moved fluid enough, he moved his feet well.

You know what important? 0 sacks allowed last year.  0 sacks allowed to bull rushing as a LT starter.

Need I remind you this guy was one of the better OT's in the NFL at one time:

UATzbqy.jpg

So you are comparing Andre Smith,  a 1st round bust, with OBjr?  You can say that an OT taken with the 6th pick in the draft and has zero pro bowls and is playing OG now is a good comparison.  That he became a passable RT is the best you can say.

Smiths combine numbers

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 25
Broad Jump: 07'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.93
3-Cone Drill: 7.88

Brown's combine numbers

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 19 1/2
Broad Jump: 06'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 
3-Cone Drill: 7.87

He was actually better than passable at RT.  I think Brown will be a better than Smith.  Smith rarely was called to one on one pass protect at Bama.  Brown was called on it to do it a ton.

Also those aren't Smith's combine numbers.  He refused to work out at the combine.  

On 3/3/2018 at 6:12 AM, Armsteeld2 said:

If he hadn't performed at the combine, would you have an issue with his play?  He is my favorite Tackle prospect in this draft and if he is there in the 2nd, I'd love the Steelers to draft him. I had issues with his tape. His combine only reflects what is very evident on tape. Even the tape you suggested and put up on here. Just watch the first five plays. Honestly if you think he did a good job on those plays, I cant really help you. He lunged on the first pass block and whiffed (which I indicated happens on my evaluation), his guy was picked up by the back but he did nothing. The other 4 run plays were awful as typical of his play. He'll even admit he is not very good run blocking. His pad level is way to high he gets jacked up by basically everybody because he comes out high. Like to say he'd work hard to improve it, which would take some effort, but his evidence of work ethic is not stellar. Any movement he is asked to make is almost laughable. If i were a defensive coach Id be praying they tried to move him cause its like making the tackle for you, instant clogging. 

The combine had nothing to do with my evaluation. It only reflected and supported my opinion of him. 

I said it in my eval , he's a lesser Phil Loadholt in my mind. Thats a better comparison than Andre Smith in my book in Browns favor. 

You may want to review that tape you shared. The first 5  plays were actually a perfect illustration of all of the concerns about him. He whiffed on a pass block and luckily was picked up by a back. On all of the running plays... he was in the way, not making the way. Defenders so often and so easily get up under his pads on runs, and forget having him pull or move, hes one of the worst I've ever seen in that respect that was being considered as a pro prospect.

He'll pass block and be a liability in the run game, and be frustrating at times in the pass game. If he works really hard, I suppose he could improve things, but why would you trust someone that has proven to have less than stellar work ethic to put in that work and such a vast improvement?  Thing that usually frustrates me most is laziness on tape, he shows it often....reflected by the combine effort. Thats why the combine matters...

Guys with special size and or speed projects should be 4th round or later projects. Brown will probably go in the 3rd with compensatory etc,. Matter of fact, the Bengals are a likely target. This is not a deep or very good tackle class IMO so that will help his draft stock, but doesnt really reflect his grade/value.

I know this one might not be popular with some of you Penn State folks.  I haven't studied the players as closely this year as in some other years, but my overhyped player award goes to TE Mike Gesicki.  I know he blew up the combine and I'm not saying he's a bad player, but people seem to be losing their minds about this guy, like he's the next Gronk or Kelce.  I think we need to pump the breaks on all that.  He is not a 1st rounder in my opinion, more like 3rd.  Of course with those combine numbers, some team will grab him before the end of the 2nd, most likely.  

I think he's a decent blocker and an above average pass catcher.  But from what tape I've watched of him, I don't see the WOW factor there. 

What say you?

7 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I know this one might not be popular with some of you Penn State folks.  I haven't studied the players as closely this year as in some other years, but my overhyped player award goes to TE Mike Gesicki.  I know he blew up the combine and I'm not saying he's a bad player, but people seem to be losing their minds about this guy, like he's the next Gronk or Kelce.  I think we need to pump the breaks on all that.  He is not a 1st rounder in my opinion, more like 3rd.  Of course with those combine numbers, some team will grab him before the end of the 2nd, most likely.  

I think he's a decent blocker and an above average pass catcher.  But from what tape I've watched of him, I don't see the WOW factor there. 

What say you?

He is a really tall slot WR.  He is the best high point catcher in the draft. That is how he was played at Penn St.  If a team drafts him as the next Jimmy Graham they will be happy.  If they draft him looking for the TE they will be less happy. 

8 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

What say you?

If you think he's going to be an inline TE sure.  If you expect him to be a move pass catcher of a TE then you would be off in that.  Like @jebrick said he's one of the best high point guys of the draft.  He has remarkable body control.  At 6'7" he's way too big for DBs, and with 4.54 speed he's too fast for LB's.

My personal overhyped player:

Tremaine Edwards.  I saw something at the combine I did not like at all.  When they were doing movement drills, he was really slow to change directions, his hips did not move all that fast.  Yes he's straightline quick, but needing to change angles was tough for him.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

If you think he's going to be an inline TE sure.  If you expect him to be a move pass catcher of a TE then you would be off in that.  Like @jebrick said he's one of the best high point guys of the draft.  He has remarkable body control.  At 6'7" he's way too big for DBs, and with 4.54 speed he's too fast for LB's.

Theoretically, I agree.  But if tall and fast was the definitive formula for success as a move TE. they'd be recruiting a lot more basketball players.  I'm not saying he can't be that, I just don't think it's a slam dunk.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

My personal overhyped player:

Tremaine Edwards.  I saw something at the combine I did not like at all.  When they were doing movement drills, he was really slow to change directions, his hips did not move all that fast.  Yes he's straightline quick, but needing to change angles was tough for him.

If we are talking about him as an ILB, I could see that.   But he was originally touted as an OLB.  To me, he looks like a superior version of Bud Dupree with more fire in his belly.  I'd take him as an OLB.  I think he could be a beast there.  

16 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Theoretically, I agree.  But if tall and fast was the definitive formula for success as a move TE. they'd be recruiting a lot more basketball players.  I'm not saying he can't be that, I just don't think it's a slam dunk.

If we are talking about him as an ILB, I could see that.   But he was originally touted as an OLB.  To me, he looks like a superior version of Bud Dupree with more fire in his belly.  I'd take him as an OLB.  I think he could be a beast there.  

I didn’t see the bend needed for that. I just don’t see the special. At best I see Alec Ogletree

Archived