Orlando Brown Jr

diamondbull424

On 4/2/2018 at 11:05 PM, diamondbull424 said:

I feel there is a great disrespect being done to Connor Williams here.

No disrespect to Orlando Brown, but I highly disagree with any universe where he’s considered above Williams. I wouldn’t be against being pointed in the direction of the tape being watched though.

First off, Brown is a really good run blocker and would really add that to the equation for us. So I’m not against the idea of Brown.

But in pass blocking, there is no comparison. You turn on the Ohio State, Nick Bosa film where Brown is going up against an NFL caliber athlete and it’s very concerning.

Oklahoma was smart, they utilized a lot of rolling pockets to protect Brown (where they rolled away from him on every occasion as far as I can remember.) Whats more when the pocket wasn’t rolling, Baker Mayfield protected Brown (or himself rather) by getting the ball out quickly. I timed it, in the entirety of the game, only two passing plays lasted longer than 3 seconds (most were 2 seconds) that weren’t moving pockets; on both of those plays Bosa landed at the feet of Mayfield. That’s not good.

Contrast that to Connor Williams. His very worst tape came against Maryland. A team/program that’s known for athletes. Williams had a multitude of drop backs where the play took longer than 4 seconds. He definitely got beat multiple times and the time where he looked to give up the sack he held the defender to prevent a QB hit. That said he also had a much larger sample size of long developing plays he had to block for to be exposed. He gave up double the QB pressures to Brown, but on about 10x the amount of pass reps above 4 seconds.

If we turn on the 2016 tape, this is truly no contest between the two. I like elements of what Brown brings to the table, especially as a RT only option. But Williams at his best is a top 10 prospect. At his worst, he’s fringe 1st/2nd OT tape wise. The same isn’t true of Brown IMO.

This is where I am.

Also, with Brown, it's not just focusing on his measurables at the combine.  It would be one thing if they didn't wow you (the general "you").  The problem was that they were historically bad almost across the board.  That's concerning, to put it mildly, for a guy who is being considered for the first round.

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

This is where I am.

Also, with Brown, it's not just focusing on his measurables at the combine.  It would be one thing if they didn't wow you (the general "you").  The problem was that they were historically bad almost across the board.  That's concerning, to put it mildly, for a guy who is being considered for the first round.

Yup. And that almighty 5th year option is simply too valuable to give up on a player that you’re not sure about.

Unrelated, but that’s what actually changed my mind about taking a WR in the first round, as I’m just not sure enough about any prospect to want to gamble that 5th year on.

Archived