Saints sign S Kurt Coleman

JMG5

Its a 3 year deal worth 18m.

I hate the signing. He was terrible last year and we grossly overpaid him. I lost all faith in our front office before free agency even started. Hopefully they get lucky and draft well again because free agency certainly won't be much help to us this year. They overpaid Klein last year and they overpaid Coleman this year. Two former Panthers who aren't very good, but somehow got paid.

6 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Its a 3 year deal worth 18m.

I hate the signing. He was terrible last year and we grossly overpaid him. I lost all faith in our front office before free agency even started. Hopefully they get lucky and draft well again because free agency certainly won't be much help to us this year. They overpaid Klein last year and they overpaid Coleman this year. Two former Panthers who aren't very good, but somehow got paid.

Umm AJ Klein was overpaid?  Pretty sure he was our best LBer before getting hurt and was playing really well.  Coleman I do agree with looks like he might've been iverpaid but we don't know the specifics of the contract yet so it might actually be just a 1 yr deal with him being able to be cut next year.  He's also a phenomenal leader/locker room guy from everything I've read so there is that.  He might've had a down year last year but i think he fills the SS role a bit better than Bell so Bell might get moved to the joker position that KV was playing.

2 hours ago, whodatOL said:

6.5 million this year?? What? :o Where did we get the money from? And why won't we retain Vacarro then? Really confused by this signing, but hoping the best. We really need some veteran help in our secondary!

We actually had a projected 24ish million to work with, maybe a little more.  Vacarro was probably looking for the 8-9 million range as he's young and will want to try and take advantage of a team with a lot of cap space.

Not writing this to be that guy but its just my 2 cents. I actually love the signing and heres why...

1. Vaccaro is the more physically talented athlete but Coleman is the better football player... PERIOD!

2. Coleman is exactly what this team needed Vaccaro to but buy couldn't... Hes versatile, smart, productive, durable and possesses vetertan leadership for a young secondary that needs it.

3. 2017 was a down year for Coleman but he was still solid, alot of his issues was the Panthers injuries on defense and there purge of good corner play which caused him to press and guess alot more. If you look at Colemans play the previous two years its hard to find a more productive player at the position. He will be much better with Lattimore on the edge and Williams in centerfield.

4. I like Bell but hes not ready to be the starter yet and is a better fit as the 3rd safety. Coleman will only help in Bells development and the Ohio State connection will make for a much easier big brother bond between Coleman, Bell and Lattimore.

5. While I dont LOVE the money... I do still view Coleman as a high end starter especially with the Saints playing with reliable corners and a true center fielder.

The Saints got alot better today... Vaccaro flashed but had more disappointments than success with us. People poo pooing the Klein pickup clearly didnt notice the difference in our front 7 production when he was out of the lineup opposed to when he was in it.

Bottom line is we upgraded the position with a better, cheaper and more reilable option (cheaper than Vaccaro) and we did it with a former rivals player. I get why some would view this signing as questionable but IMO it was a good smart addition that will make us a better overall defense in 2018.

I think it's a fair bit of risk for us. The guy had a horrendous 2017, to the tune of 116 passer rating. I'm guessing we're hoping Lattimore can have the type of impact on his play that Josh Norman had in 2015?

To be clear, I don't mind bringing in Coleman as a veteran safety. I think it's risky giving the reigns to two very young safeties, I like having a leader back there if they need one. My issue is the pricetag. I'm not certain he's an upgrade over Vaccaro, but I think he'll be much cheaper than Vaccaro would've cost us.

I'd still like to add a slot corner to this secondary, really round it out into a deep and talented unit.

39 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think it's a fair bit of risk for us. The guy had a horrendous 2017, to the tune of 116 passer rating. I'm guessing we're hoping Lattimore can have the type of impact on his play that Josh Norman had in 2015?

To be clear, I don't mind bringing in Coleman as a veteran safety. I think it's risky giving the reigns to two very young safeties, I like having a leader back there if they need one. My issue is the pricetag. I'm not certain he's an upgrade over Vaccaro, but I think he'll be much cheaper than Vaccaro would've cost us.

I'd still like to add a slot corner to this secondary, really round it out into a deep and talented unit.

I feel this move signals a shift towards a more traditional secondary with more nickel and slot corner play instead of a 3rd safety. I dont like the money but like with Klein last year i felt the said overpaid slightly to add a solid veteran pressence on the 2nd and 3rd levels of their defense. We also need to remember that the deal is being reported as a 3 year deal UP TOO 18 million. Lets wait and see what the actual numbers are before we judge too harshly. Bell is very versitle and will see the field a bunch but the reported 6+ million for Coleman in year 1 tells me that their bringing him in as the starter with Bell as the understudy. It also tells me that their banking on Coleman returning to his 2015 and 2016 form with a better supporting cast around him in 2018. Id be willing to bet its a basic 1 year deal with team options for the remaining 2 years in case Coleman either flops or excells. If he flops then we still have Bell and were only tied to Coleman for 1 year and at the very least he will provide great depth and veteran leadership for us. If he excells and returns to his 2016 form then his deal in 2019 becomes one of the best bargins in the NFL.

On 2nd thought... This could just be a depth signing. We have two talented young safety on rookie deals that mighg be starting in 2018. Coleman is a veteran and can play both FS and SS. 

I don't mind us bringing in a safety. It's the fact that we brought in a bad safety for 6m/year that I have a problem with

And yes, Klein was overpaid. He takes bad angles and gets toasted in coverage. Te'o was much better than him this year.

14 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I don't mind us bringing in a safety. It's the fact that we brought in a bad safety for 6m/year that I have a problem with

And yes, Klein was overpaid. He takes bad angles and gets toasted in coverage. Te'o was much better than him this year.

Were just gonna have to agree to disagree here... On pretty much your entire assesment. 

47 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Were just gonna have to agree to disagree here... On pretty much your entire assesment. 

I'm with Worm on this one. IMO, judgement is too hasty at times. Bottom line is the secondary needs a veteran presence...welcome to New Orleans Mr. Coleman.

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I'm 100% on board with you. I don't know where he's getting these views on Klein, especially Te'o being a better player over the course of the year. Teo was an absolute madman against the Run, but Klein was an absolutely solid linebacker.

Lot of smoke surrounding a Saints and Jimmy Graham reunion... Seahawks expected to release him. Reports Saints and Graham mutually intrested. 

Would allow Saints to address one of their biggest needs via free agency with a familiar face and vastly improve our redzone efficiency from last season. 

Interesting tid bit is that Brees is also a FA and was very open about hating loosing Graham in the first place. Well, Brees is in position to leave money on the table to facilitate signing Graham and Cam Jordan is already on twitter recruiting him. Reports out of the combine is also that there is no bad blood from either party over 2015 trade that sent Graham to Seattle. 

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

Lot of smoke surrounding a Saints and Jimmy Graham reunion... Seahawks expected to release him. Reports Saints and Graham mutually intrested. 

Would allow Saints to address one of their biggest needs via free agency with a familiar face and vastly improve our redzone efficiency from last season. 

Interesting tid bit is that Brees is also a FA and was very open about hating loosing Graham in the first place. Well, Brees is in position to leave money on the table to facilitate signing Graham and Cam Jordan is already on twitter recruiting him. Reports out of the combine is also that there is no bad blood from either party over 2015 trade that sent Graham to Seattle. 

I would love to have him back. I just think he is going to cost too much. Even if we do pick him up I still hope we draft a TE in the later rounds. There is a lot of depth at the position in this year's draft and we need to capitalize on that.

I'm kinda hoping both the Saints and Graham realize they are made for eachother... he's not the player he once was but he's still a monster in the red zone and we really suffered in that area last season. 

Maybe a combination of Graham taking a little less due to fit and familiarity, Brees leaving some money on the table to facilitate signing him and giving Brees a sense of the Saints going all in. However even if all these things happen I agree that we still need to add another young TE in the late rounds. I do feel tho if Graham isn't resigned, the Saints will trade up from the 3rd round targeting the TE in the draft they feel can come in an give the greatest impact.

But...

On the other hand, something is telling me don't try to revive this relationship. Continue to focus on the draft and find a prospect that better fits what we are now on offense. If Graham eventually ends up in NOLA again I'd have to ask myself how much influence did Brees have in his return.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived