Saints sign S Kurt Coleman

JMG5

I never liked the KV draft pick... something about him and his play style didn't mesh with NOLA's philosophy IMO. Yes, I know, hindsight...right? 

I find this debate a tad amusing and here's why::  How much actual play time (snaps) do you think Coleman will get? We actually have some good, young, talented safeties and other DB's that have the ability to do everything KV was asked to do. I think we're fine in the secondary. Sure Coleman will see the field but I think it'll be limited. IMO, he was brought in for 2 reasons and the 1st being the biggest. They are (1) veteran leadership and (2) send a message to and about KV.

I didn’t like KV either. I think it all started with Goodell wussing out and getting a kid to announce the pick after bountygate...what a coward. I wanted Jones...who didn’t turn out any better. Vaccaro just seemed a bit stiff, not an explosive athlete, and almost never played deeper zones in college. He is exactly what he was in college. I think it’s a big mistake to assume that a player can be coached up to learn something they didn’t do or didn’t do well at a lower level. The good players will have it right away...as we’ve seen with all of our recent studs like Lattimore, Kamara, and Thomas. 

10 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yeah, he had a knee. MCL. So do you want top performance from a guy with a bum knee?

This is fair. Can we talk about Kenny battling through a groin injury?

I don't know. I'm not gonna sing praises until I see him with this defense, but I know KV has been like a light switch, on & off so much that we all were questioning what was going on. That's just not good enough.

This is fair.. but to be clear, that's just not good enough for what? To be on the roster? To be the starter? To pay big bucks to? 

You want proof on why KV should have been replaced? Look at his current offer sheet.

Replaced as a full time starter? For sure. But that's not really what I am asking for.

He's not gonna command starter money. He doesn't need to be the leader on the field or off the field, he can be a JAG and that's OK. His ceiling and what he's shown he can do here when everything is clicking are great return for what we'd have to pay.

You yourself called him a hammer, you said people were scared of him. A guy like that should have a spot on the roster when he's asking for what Kenny is going to be at this point. He's been pretty good covering TEs, you can keep him as a reserve and rotational LB with some range, he can play special teams. He's limited but he has valuable tools that we all can acknowledge.

If we brought in Coleman to teach our young secondary how to be professionals, why not bring back a guy that scares people on the field but needs help finding consistency? A guy that is vocal and competitive but needs to be a better leader would be great learning under Coleman if all what we're hoping for comes to fruition with his contract. 

5 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

How much actual play time (snaps) do you think Coleman will get? We actually have some good, young, talented safeties and other DB's that have the ability to do everything KV was asked to do. I think we're fine in the secondary. Sure Coleman will see the field but I think it'll be limited.

We're paying him like a starter, so he should be on the field quite a bit. If he's not gonna be on the field that much, this signing REALLY doesn't make sense. 

5 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

IMO, he was brought in for 2 reasons and the 1st being the biggest. They are (1) veteran leadership and (2) send a message to and about KV.

1) That's probably true, and I hope his leadership translates to on the field production, because boy are we paying for it.

2) Sadly, this seems about right for Payton. Overpay someone to send a message to a former player, seems about on par with some of his other moves lol 

51 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

We're paying him like a starter, so he should be on the field quite a bit. If he's not gonna be on the field that much, this signing REALLY doesn't make sense. 

1) That's probably true, and I hope his leadership translates to on the field production, because boy are we paying for it.

2) Sadly, this seems about right for Payton. Overpay someone to send a message to a former player, seems about on par with some of his other moves lol 

I think yall are over thinking this Coleman signing... 

1st the 6 mil per is about average for a borderline starter these days at the position and he'll play as many snaps as a starter in the Saints 3 safety sets. Also his value is in leadership as well... Both Bell and Williams have less than 3 years in the NFL so having a veteran communicating with them will be enormous. Coleman (unlike Vaccaro) is a student of the game and a very high character leader who will have a very positive effect on our two young starters.

As far as his play in 2017... We need to remember. Coleman was battling a injury last season and was playing center fielder with two inexperienced corners on the edges. Because of that he was asked to do far too much in 2017 where as in our secondary with our talent he will only be playing a specific role whem on the field that will put him in position to do what he does best and get him back to his playmaking 2016 form.

Finally... Coleman's addition has a little to do with the Minnesota play. Im sure looking at it Sean Payton woulf have loved to have a veteran leader on the field during that moment despite Williams fantastic rookie season or at the very least wish he had a guy like Coleman in Williams ear at that moment on the sidelines.

Overall it was a great addition at the going NFL rate because the Saints valued his character, leadership and veteran presence. They also could afford it because both their starting safetys are on rookie 2nd round pick contracts.

Archived