Barkley should go #1.

Suffering_Bills

Cleveland needs to take a QB first overall. I  think they need to take their guy 1st overall because i do have a hard time seeing the Giants not taking a QB. If Barkley is that high regarded, I think the smart move would be to trade up from 4 to 2.

It's pretty clear to me the Barkley is the best player in this draft. If I'm the Browns, I go BPA at #1 and then take the best available QB at #4. You have the luxury and the ability to get the best player in the draft AND a franchise QB.

Take Barkley #1.

Let the Giants make the decision between Rosen, Darnold and Allen.

Colts don't need a QB.

Then you still have a shot at probably Darnold. 

This draft is SO important for the Cleveland Browns. I'm going with the safe, BPA #1 and then making the call at QB. I'd be pretty damn excited about the future of the Browns offense is the draft played out this way and they get Barkley, Darnold, to pair with their receiving targets. Darnold, Barkley, Njuku, Gordon, Coleman, Duke Johnson, etc.

26 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

It's pretty clear to me the Barkley is the best player in this draft. If I'm the Browns, I go BPA at #1 and then take the best available QB at #4. You have the luxury and the ability to get the best player in the draft AND a franchise QB.

Take Barkley #1.

Let the Giants make the decision between Rosen, Darnold and Allen.

Colts don't need a QB.

Then you still have a shot at probably Darnold. 

This draft is SO important for the Cleveland Browns. I'm going with the safe, BPA #1 and then making the call at QB. I'd be pretty damn excited about the future of the Browns offense is the draft played out this way and they get Barkley, Darnold, to pair with their receiving targets. Darnold, Barkley, Njuku, Gordon, Coleman, Duke Johnson, etc.

As long as you are comfortable with getting the 3rd QB off the board as the worst scenario I agree you go Barkley.   The likelihood the 1.4 pick gets one of the top 2 guys is high but far from 100 percent.  Chubb's Combine will make its riskier for IND to move down but it’s still very possible they get an offer they can’t refuse.   There is a 100 percent probability CLE will get one of the top 3 QB.    

If the gap between 2nd and 3rd QB is significant to CLE given the premium positional value and their history they can’t take that chance.   It boils down to how much a diff they see between their top 3 QB.   If they secretly are so conflicted between the 3 taking Barkley almost helps make their choice for them.  But it opens them up to huge second guessing if they don’t get the best QB who goes 1.2 or 1.3 (IND trades down).     

On the other hand if they whiff on the QB at 1.1 (or the best QB available at 1.4 is more successful by a fair margin) and Barkley ends up being the overall BPA of the draft and taken 1.2-1.3 ahead of them then they lose out too.  Either way there’s risk.  Just depends on what risk CLE feels more comfortable with.   Who they like at QB certainly will factor in but but not just their top target but the top 3 guys.

(FTR I think Barkley 1.1 and QB 1.4 is how I’d go right now)

The problem with not taking the QB #1 (an idea I'm open to) is that they won't be getting the 2nd best QB.

If Saquon Barkley is gone, it becomes extremely easy for the Colts to trade down. Denver and the Jets both know the Browns would be all-in on the unselected QB and would get into a bidding war to trade down. Indy would have no issues trading down, as nobody would be in jeopardy of taking Bradley Chubb between 3 & 6.

Cleveland already has 2 good young DE's. If they took Barkley, they pretty much have to take the BPA QB at #4.

If the Colts traded with Denver, both Denver and SD would get the QB's, not DE.

If the Colts traded with the Jets, it would be to get the QB, not a 34 OLB.

They could trade down for as little as a 6th rounder and still get Chubb.

So if you're the Browns, you had better be dead set on Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen at #4 if you make the trade down..

All that being said, I'm fine with taking either of those guys at 4. I am in the minority that still likes Josh Allen--just less than the other three. I'd be fine if we left draft day with Barkley and Mayfield, assuming we had an established veteran here via FA.

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I didnt realize how much Sam Darnold not throwing at the combine would affect people 

He's going number 1 don't let anything else give you an other way of thinking 

Probably, but here's the reason the combine mattered:

If Barkley came out and tested good instead of great, the Browns would have a shot to get him at 4. A pretty good one at that. But because he came out and murdered the combine, it's going to be hard to imagine him not being #1 on everyone's board. That means we would now have to rely on the Giants and Colts passing on the #1 player on their board at a position of need to get Barkley. I thought it was a lock that Rosen would go #2 to the Giants, but it appears more and more like they're willing to give it another year with Eli under a new coach. And the Colts probably love Chubb, but if I were them, I'd take Barkley over him. So it becomes very unclear now that Barkley would make it to 4.

I hope Barkley assaults an old lady or something in the coming weeks so that he drops a little.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Probably, but here's the reason the combine mattered:

If Barkley came out and tested good instead of great, the Browns would have a shot to get him at 4. A pretty good one at that. But because he came out and murdered the combine, it's going to be hard to imagine him not being #1 on everyone's board. That means we would now have to rely on the Giants and Colts passing on the #1 player on their board at a position of need to get Barkley. I thought it was a lock that Rosen would go #2 to the Giants, but it appears more and more like they're willing to give it another year with Eli under a new coach. And the Colts probably love Chubb, but if I were them, I'd take Barkley over him. So it becomes very unclear now that Barkley would make it to 4.

I hope Barkley assaults an old lady or something in the coming weeks so that he drops a little.

Yeah I love Barkley for us as much as anybody 

and I get the conversation 

but don't buy into it Sam Darnold is going number 

and honestly I cant buy into a QB not going to the Giants

I love Barkley but they're in a position to have NY be relevant for the next 15 years 

unless they really love Davis Webb I dont see them not going with Rosen or Allen

John Dorsey will take his QB #1. I would be shocked if he didn't. Saquon might be a generational talent at RB, but they could still draft a RB in the 2nd and use in tandem with Duke. I love Barkley as much as the next dude, but I think Cleveland would be smart to spend their premium picks on players who would project to be there for 10 years, and I don't see RB as that position 

This hurts me to say cause I really want to root for Bark in Cleveland. Lots of great Dawg pound slogans to be had there

I mean, Adrian Peterson was the last "Generational talent" at Running Back and that didn't develop into any rings to date.  I don't think the point is trying to draft Hall of Famers, the point is trying to win football games.  Reliably the best way out of the NFL's cellar is "hit on a young QB while he's still cheap" and every year there's a lot of QBs discussed who might be that guy, but don't turn out to be that guy.   It's pretty unlikely that this is going to turn out to be like 1983, but even then if you pick the second QB you *might* end up with Todd Blackledge.

So the most sensible thing to do is to figure out who the best QB is, erase doubt from your mind, then just take that guy #1.  Nearly 100% of the time you're better off with the best QB and 2nd best RB than the other way around.  If you cannot convince yourself that "this QB is better than the other ones" you have little business being an NFL scout, let alone a GM.

52 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I didnt realize how much Sam Darnold not throwing at the combine would affect people 

He's going number 1 don't let anything else give you an other way of thinking 

Darnold #1 is a huge mistake. He's too ugly to ever be good. He's going to top out at Andy Dalton. Browns need to take Mayfield. At least he's normal looking and could pull a 7 or 8 without football fame.

Which would you rather have?

A

1 Baker Mayfield QB

4 Bradley Chubb DE

33 Jaire Alexander CB

35 Justin Reid S

60 Michael Gallup WR

65 Royce Freeman RB

108 Holton Hill CB

137 Joseph Noteboom OT

Or

B