Barkley should go #1.

Suffering_Bills

In the unlikely event that the most valuable player in a draft is a running back, and I had the #1 pick, I would hope to hell that someone wanted to trade into my spot.

Barkley is a good player,  but I still think top 5 for any running back not named "Kal-El" is outrageous.

I suspect a lot of the "Giants gotta take Barkley" is just the local angle played up by Giant's writers who don't get to do this very often, and a lot of the "Browns gotta take Barkley" is fueled by "Giants want Barkley and they're a competent franchise"  as well as fantasy players who want to see Barkley behind a good OL.

31 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

In the unlikely event that the most valuable player in a draft is a running back, and I had the #1 pick, I would hope to hell that someone wanted to trade into my spot.

Barkley is a good player,  but I still think top 5 for any running back not named "Kal-El" is outrageous.

I suspect a lot of the "Giants gotta take Barkley" is just the local angle played up by Giant's writers who don't get to do this very often, and a lot of the "Browns gotta take Barkley" is fueled by "Giants want Barkley and they're a competent franchise"  as well as fantasy players who want to see Barkley behind a good OL.

I can possibly see him going top 5, he is a bigger, healthier copy of Adrian Peterson and will  probably have a better overall career, but if I am a QB desperate team, there is zero chance I take him in the top 5 unless all the QB's worth a top 5 pick have been taken, which will likely involve some trades.

Normally, I think he definitely goes top 10, but this is a rather weak draft at the top end and he is simply miles ahead of the next non QB prospect.

As for projecting who will draft him, every QB desperate team will lie about wanting him, in order to try and convince other teams to draft him. 

If the Browns’ #1 overall QB busts, are people going to come back and lol @ how obvious it was that they should’ve taken Barkley? 

They shouldn’t take Barkley unless they’re on board with either Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson. If they really feel Rosen or Darnold is the guy, then they need to pick him. 

The only other scenario is they call up NYG and say we’ll give you #4 and 2 2nds for #2.

I'm really high on Saquon Barkley.  I love his build plus his speed.  Not only is he a terrific runner, but he's also a great receiving target.  He has the skill set of guys like Todd Gurley and Le'Veon Bell.  Personally, I'm not super high on any of the QB's in this draft that are being considered in the top four picks.  You just have to decide - Do you want a QB and a guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick at #4 or do you want Barkley and one of the QB's like Mayfield, Rosen, etc at #4.  It's honestly a terrific spot to be in because I think Fitzpatrick is a terrific prospect as well.

Personally, in my little fantasy world I would take Barkley at #1, Fitzpatrick at #4 and then package some picks to get back into the top 10-15 and take Baker Mayfield.  That's not realistic, but I think Mayfield is probably the best QB prospect out of all the guys at the top.

51 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm really high on Saquon Barkley.  I love his build plus his speed.  Not only is he a terrific runner, but he's also a great receiving target.  He has the skill set of guys like Todd Gurley and Le'Veon Bell.  Personally, I'm not super high on any of the QB's in this draft that are being considered in the top four picks.  You just have to decide - Do you want a QB and a guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick at #4 or do you want Barkley and one of the QB's like Mayfield, Rosen, etc at #4.  It's honestly a terrific spot to be in because I think Fitzpatrick is a terrific prospect as well.

Personally, in my little fantasy world I would take Barkley at #1, Fitzpatrick at #4 and then package some picks to get back into the top 10-15 and take Baker Mayfield.  That's not realistic, but I think Mayfield is probably the best QB prospect out of all the guys at the top.

I’m liking this post because of your Baker take

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

If the Browns’ #1 overall QB busts, are people going to come back and lol @ how obvious it was that they should’ve taken Barkley? 

They shouldn’t take Barkley unless they’re on board with either Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson. If they really feel Rosen or Darnold is the guy, then they need to pick him. 

The only other scenario is they call up NYG and say we’ll give you #4 and 2 2nds for #2.

Anyone playing the hindsight card isn't too bright themselves. 

Im taking Barkley #1 if it's me drafting because honestly none of these QB's do much for me as legit top 5 quality players.   If their was a QB who was far and away the best Qb in this draft and was considered a generational QB i would take him for sure at #1.  But none of them do that for me at all and with having the #4 pick as well i would have no problem taking one there if i even wanted one there honestly.   For all we know they might like Allen or Jackson the best and can maybe even trade down from 4 to get either one of them while getting some more assets.

22 hours ago, bzane said:

Hmmm- just a wild guess here, but does your putative scenario, so emphatically worded, suggest that the Browns drafting of Barkley means a highly-rated QB thus drops to the Buffalo Bills, by coincidence, @Suffering_Bills?

In a word, NO. The good ones won't drop out of, at WORST, the top 15 or so picks. And, I don't want to ream our draft by trading up into the top 5 for a QB prospect. Use those 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and that 3rd to build our lines, and get Shady's understudy.

If I'm Cleveland, I think I'd rather have Chubb (the DE, not the RB) and a QB with 1 and 4 than Barkley and a QB, in all honesty.

Conversation in Cleveland should be "who do we pick at 4 if we go QB at 1 and the next 2 picks are Barkley and Chubb in whatever order".

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If I'm Cleveland, I think I'd rather have Chubb (the DE, not the RB) and a QB with 1 and 4 than Barkley and a QB, in all honesty.

Conversation in Cleveland should be "who do we pick at 4 if we go QB at 1 and the next 2 picks are Barkley and Chubb in whatever order".

You trade the pick 

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You trade the pick 

I don't know if you can guarantee that you can do that, or at least you entertain the scenario that "Okay, we pick QB1 at 1 and the next 2 picks are the DE and the RB, if we can't trade the pick who do we want?"  If you can find a satisfying answer to the question, then just take the QB at 1.

It's just the pigeonhole principle, if there are 3 people who you'd be happy with at 4 if you take the best player at the most important position at 1, then you do so.

Browns should take Chubb #1. QB #4. Then trade up for Guice, Ridley, or Sutton.

1 Chubb DE

4 Mayfield/Allen/Darnold QB

24ish Guice RB

35 DJ Moore WR

60 Crosby/Noteboom RT

65 Jessie Bates/Deshon Elliot S

Something like that

Archived