Derwin James?

Alex

So, here's a brief profile on Derwin James. He's a redshirted sophomore. He's among one of the best prospects in the draft. He's dubbed as the next best playmaker who can cover tight ends and do many other things. He's a hard-hitting safety who probably will have a good combine (if not great). 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derwin-james?id=32462018-0002-5600-6615-53f9661a6a43

You get the picture- why am I talking about him?

Well, I didn't think of it until just realized... No other teams have a dire need at the safety position, just us, the Steelers team. No, seriously, many other teams are playing more Tampa-2 coverage and set on the safety position. Looking at the projected draft picks- look like Derwin James could easily fall out of top 10 picks. Heck, he could even get out of the top-15. There are more coverage safeties on the market and in the draft, I could see the teams putting more ahead of the safety position for the priority.

I'm not ready to be excited yet, but... How far would you guys trade up to get Derwin James? Would you hit the button? 

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He ain’t making it to us. 

Who gets him? Can you think of any team? First, you have to get a team who needs him.

Think David DeCastro situation. Nobody needed an offensive guard until our pick. 

Not just, you have to has a scheme that works with James. Other than the Seahawks... Who?

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Who gets him? Can you think of any team? First, you have to get a team who needs him.

Think David DeCastro situation. Nobody needed an offensive guard until our pick. 

Not just, you have to has a scheme that works with James. Other than the Seahawks... Who?

The Bucs, 9ers, Raiders, Bengals, Redskins, Seahawks, Cowboys, Bills, Panthers, Saints.  10 teams in front of us that Derwin James would be an upgrade over their current SS. (Bills have 2 picks)

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Yup.  That's who I've been mocking him to, and if they don't take him Seahawks and Bills the next two likely.  He's going to take a move up.  Given our needs and lack of picks, unless you know he's a 10 year all pro type player I don't make the move.

Just now, warfelg said:

Yup.  That's who I've been mocking him to, and if they don't take him Seahawks and Bills the next two likely.  He's going to take a move up.  Given our needs and lack of picks, unless you know he's a 10 year all pro type player I don't make the move.

I'll add the Chargers to the list. But I'll concede that anything is possible. The Board could fall just right so he falls to #28 but that would take a miracle IMO.

We are one position from being the dominant team. Drafting an elite player means we have this player upfront for cheap next 4-5 years until we figure out what to do with Big Ben and the quarterback position. 

I'd not go after the Buccaneers; they already have Mark Barron. Here's what I'm thinking.

28th pick, 3rd round pick, 7th round pick, and Martavis Bryant to 49ers' 9th pick.

Why will they pull the trigger? The draft for wide receivers aren't that good, a majority of the good receivers are slotted to our pick and not just, they can get a veteran. 

This allows us to reset our board and target a receiver with 2nd round pick. 

Thoughts?

Barron's been on the Rams for years and plays LB now.

I would not give up all of that for James.  Way too much.

We are more than one position away from being dominate.  We are a pass rusher, safety, at least 1 LB, maybe another corner, and another TE.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

So, we shouldn't trade up for him???

He likely isnt making it out of the first half of the draft and could very well go top 10.    To be safe, we would have to trade up to 7 or 8, and no, we shouldnt do that.

Now, if youre asking if we should trade up if he falls to like 17 or 18.....well, it largely depends on what our needs are after FA.     If we were somehow able to land another decent corner, an edge rusher and 1 ILB in free agency, I would consider trading our 3rd to move up for him.....but that entire scenario is extremely unlikely.

Archived