D94W's QB Prospects Thread

Dallas94Ware

Been MIA for a while with a lot going on. But as the draft looms closer, and with the combine currently in swing, I thought it would be fun to talk about the QBs of this draft class.

We all remember my huge knocks on Wentz and Goff the year this team needed a QBofTF and how relentless we all were over it (Which i stand by and assure you that you will see hinder them as their careers progress!) and how much fun we all had with my Deshaun Watson assessment (He is going to be the top QB in the league in another year or two, mark my words!)

So, why not some more fun with this group coming out now? I put my coaching brain to the grinder the last 6 or 7 evenings and studied the top prospects at the position thoroughly by watching entire games (NOT HIGHLIGHT REELS -YOU LEARN NOTHING BY WATCHING HIGHLIGHTS!) and taking notes of every failure, success, miss, hit, evasion etc that I could, and compared them to what Ive seen of successful NFL Qbs to see how what these guys have shown translates into NFL play.

I will start with my favorite/top QB prospect of this group..

BAKER MAYFIELD, Oklahoma

Whats not to like, honestly? All successful NFL Qbs have one of three forms of leadership as an innate quality of their personality: Stone cold ice blood and composure that others follow quietly (Matt Ryan, Eli Manning style), Cocky arrogance and swagger that others want to be part of (Tom Brady, Cam Newton style) and the intellectual studyhard workhard type that others look upon you as a school tutor (Peyton, Rodgers, etc).

Mayfield has that cocky arrogance. Some might even think he is a bit of a bonehead jock and a real pr-ck, but what I hear is a young man who is never going to just accept something, even something good, without trying to do better - if even just to brag about it with his buddies later on.

Best traits: Pocket presence, delivery, ball placement, passrush awareness, overall confidence on the field, understanding of primary pro style defensive concepts

Worst traits: Anticipation of passing windows, general accuracy, some stupid decisions off the field, quirky release on the move, doesnt throw well across his body

-His presence within the pocket and his ability to understand, sense and avoid the rush while inside the pocket is on par with some of the top QBs to come out in recent years, including Andrew Luck.

-Is a much better thrower when able to place the ball at a general spot and throwing at a opened area of the field on a timing pattern and is much less accurate throwing at a moving open receiver, similar to Tom Brady in this regard

-Very catchable ball with a good spiral, easy arching throwing motion that allows for even the toughest hands to make a nice catch. 

-There is no one more confident in his ability than him: If the throw is a small possibility of working, he will try it. There is no live to fight another day mentality here. Its an 'Either we score or They Score" mentality on many throws. Risky, but not a bad trait to have. Ask Favre, Romo, Rodgers, Moon, Kelly etc.

-Clearly locates the defensive keys presnap and compensates his protections based on the proper identification of the Mike. 

-Needs to improve mechanics while working on the move. Pockets will not always be clean in the NFL, and while he has had success on the move, that lowered elbow on the throw and poor setup of his hips while throwing on the move translates to a very high INT rate in the pro game.

-Tendency to overthrow deeper routes to the inside, which is ok in the NCAA ranks, but in the NFL if theres a lurk coverage by a safety that will be a pick more often than not. Need to overthrow to the deep edges, and underthrow to the deep inside.

-Have seen him put too many balls in the hands of a defender simply by double patting the ball before the throw, essentially telegraphing its trajectory. Needs to speed up the throw and get a better understanding of passing windows and how much faster they will close in the NFL.

Overall, Mayfield has the tools, both mentally and physically, to overcome his two biggest PERCEIVED downfalls: Off field issues and lack of height (Just under 6'1"). I did not see his height be much of a factor, and his willingness to, and ability to, step around in the pocket helps him adjust to better angles where his height is a nonfactor. His off field stuff is not really so bad in the grand scheme of things. 

Coming from a well rounded offense, he has thrown to many kinds of route combinations and has a track record of success with some of the harder concepts. Understanding basic pro style defensive concepts should also help ease a quick transition to the pro game. 

Final assessment: Physically and mentally tough kid with moxie, confidence and athletic ability. A pro-ready college jock that everyone hates because he doesnt just talk a big game, but he backs it up as well. My prediction is stardom. He will go as far as he himself is willing to go, and I believe he is right when he says he could turn the Browns around. If even he would only do it to brag about having done it.

Prediction: Super star playmaker with several all pro years to his credit. A high TD total career statline, but perhaps a few too many picks. A Tony Romo or Brett Favre kind of guy.

SAM DARNOLD, USC

Like Andrew Luck and Eli Manning before him, Sam Darnold is the next "He has it all, cant miss by picking him" prospect at the QB position. And in a sense, the guy certainly does have it all. He is the complete package and he is by far the safest pick. That does not mean he will be the best of his class, though.

When I watch Sam Darnold, I see a guy who is that study hard, work hard, play hard type of leader who dissects what he sees, understands the game on a coach's level, and has the majority of the physical gifts needed to put it all together. But what I do not see is that it factor, that definitive winning trait that just makes you feel like you will be turning your franchise around by selecting him. See, I saw one of those in Eli Manning (ice blood poise that just makes him completely unshakeable). I did NOT see one of these in Andrew Luck. And look at their career paths, even before Lucks injury he was not exactly elevating his team to greatness. But, one could argue, Eli never did on his own either. More on this later.

Best traits: Accuracy, game speed already on par with NFL players, pro ready, understanding of the more complex passing concepts, physically tough, poised

Worst traits: Long deep throw wind up, exposes ball too much, throws too hard to short routes/causes drops, tendency to stare down deep throws, lack of a wow factor

-The accuracy he shows when throwing to receivers who are on the move is impressive. A pinpoint thrower.

-Sound mechanics. Nothing impressive, nothing to worry over. Fluid and simple. No wasted motion.

-Seems like he studies very hard for gameday, diagnosing pre and post snap and making quick throws based on the defensive concepts and tendencies. Harder to do in the NFL by far, but this tends to carry over.

-Tends to wind up for deeper throws, over exposing the football as a result. While not bad per se, nor poor mechanically, cutting off a bit of this wind up will improve his release on deeper throws while reducing strip-sack potential on deep throws

-Moves quite well and keeps good mechanics even while moving. Plants instead of hops, or hops only off the planted foot, maintaining good velocity and accuracy as a result.

-Needs to balance speed of the throw with how hard he is throwing - not every quick throw needs to be thrown so hard. This will cause a lot of easy drops, bobbles and off-the-receivers-hands INTs in the pros.

-Poise under pressure is very good

-Tends to throw too low to routes over the seams, needs to keep the ball up around the midsection - any higher and the receiver is exposed, but if he keeps it so low, the ball is too exposed.

-Can definitely improve his anticipation of the opening in zone coverage and when to deliver it into that opening

Overall, Sam Darnold has no big flaws. He is not a consistent risk taker, nor a consistent game breaking playmaker, nor a consistent safe bet taker, or really not a consistent anything. He will take his risks, but also throw it away. He will make an incredible throw to a tight window, but also blow an easy one. While this could be said of any QB really, with how all around his game is it makes it tough to be definitive on what will make Sam Darnold great or flop. 

While I saw some Wow with Eli (that icey unbreaking unflappableness), and none with Luck, both of those guys also were the "cant miss, has it all" prospects. And both never really singlehandedly elevated or carried their team despite that. Luck sometimes cost his team more wins than any top pick should, and Eli won two rings with an allstar cast on defense and one hell of a underrated plethora of receivers and runners. Both of them, like Darnold now, really bring a lot to the table but perhaps lack an ingredient or two to make the meal at that table something truly special.

Final Assessment: The kid has it all. He will have a bright future in the NFL and he will likely be around a very long time. He will be only what his team allows him to be. He will look amazing at times when his team plays well, but when the cast isnt pulling a hefty amount of weight, dont expect many Aaron Rodgers style "Ill just do this all on my own" moments. Darnold is ready right now for sure, but he would be best suited going to a team who is also more ready now than later - if he goes to Cleveland, say hello to the next big draft bust at QB. He is not going to turn around a losing team and singlehandedly elevate them from their garbage heap. If he goes to NYG or Denver or another team who is ready for him and ready to compete sooner than later, he will look and play like the next newest superstar passer. The safest QB to select this year by far.

Prediction: 12+year starter with lots of highs, lots of lows, and probably some good, not incredible, stat lines. A Carson Palmer or Matt Stafford type.

JOSH ROSEN, UCLA

If Sam Darnold is the complete "has it all except the wow factor", Rosen to me is the polar opposite. He lacks a lot of the basic things. But, what he lacks, he makes up for with nothing but wow factor. His tape is filled with throws that make you want to watch it again and again.

Josh Rosen is the prototype passer. He is not a pocket manipulating dissector of defenses poised to take a hit and deliver a catchable ball. He is the perfect mechanics-having passer who lacks the laser arm, the accurate delivery or presence within the pocket who somehow pulls the perfect throw out at the right time. He comes up short in a lot of areas. Yet somehow pulls out amazing throw after amazing throw to string together a quality outing. And it can be very fun to watch.

Best traits: Perfect mechanics, Positions himself well in the pocket, prototype build, delivers the ball under pressure, willing to take a hit if it means buying his receiver that extra step for a better play

Worst traits: Very inaccurate on the move, takes too many hits/can be very statuesque, may struggle to out throw a safety/not the most powerful thrower, slow footwork when climbing the pocket, tendency to misread coverages, injury and concussion history is a concern

-Mechanics as a passer are as solid as they come for a rookie. This kid was well tutored.

-Plays tough, willing to eat big shots to deliver the ball at the best moment for the biggest play. 

-Accuracy is about on par with most pure passer rookie QBs. Can place the ball well or throw accurately to a target who is on the move.

-Makes you question his decision making too often, with a history of throwing to the second-best option, which could be a result of:

-Misreads too many defensive concepts.

-Capable of making big plays with his gutsy play in the pocket and quick release mechanics. This alone covers up most of his flaws.

-Two concussions in a short amount of time and an injury to his throwing shoulder would scare me away if I were considering picking him very high.

-Good understanding of passing windows and throwing lanes, aligning his feet and positioning himself properly to make the best use of both

Overall, Rosen is very intriguing because of how he somehow manages to make things happen for him. He has a lot to learn when it comes to defenses and really struggles to play the short area game when he is taking fire from the rush. He lacks the ideal arm, he lacks ideal mobility behind the line for todays NFL, and his decision making befuddles you far too often.

And yet, somehow, he always continues to pull something out. He always manages to make something happen. And thats something that isnt taught. It isnt studied. It isnt coached. It is just something you have or do not have, and Rosen has that.

Final Assessment: Quick release with good pocket presence and a lack of ideal arm strength that would probably make for a good starter on a run oriented team that does not mind some growing pains. Rosen can be something in the NFL, but what that is will be determined solely on what you expect to ask of him as your QB. He is by no means a safe pick because of his shortcomings, but could pay off well with time, patience and the proper system for him. He is a gamble to rely on with two concussions already in todays concussion overreacting NFL, but  again, that ability to just put together a key drive, or somehow make a key throw when the odds seem against it, is something to admire.

Prediction: If he starts early in his career, his bust potential to me is through the roof. If given some time and the right situation to grow, he could be one of those high effeciency passers who is tough to defend and moves the chains again and again and again with masterful short area throws. A Chad Pennington, Trent Green kind of guy.

JOSH ALLEN, WYOMING

Allen is this draft season's biggest question mark. Not for lack of talent or lack of quality film, but solely because he has been so tremendously inconsistent. He is very hot and cold, up and down, and at times dreadful and yet other times remarkably brilliant. 

I rather enjoy watching this kid too. He has that risky scramble around gunslinger backyard pick-up game to his playstyle. He is creative and genuinely seems to enjoy playing. He is the ultimate boom or bust passer, leaving it all on the field everytime. Unfortunately, this also makes him a very boom or bust draft prospect.

Best traits: Throws a high velocity laser beam of a ball, Gambler who is always thinking big play, Excellent throwing on the move, able to throw from many different release points

Worst traits: Very inconsistent, Takes too many risks, Mechanics get faulty under pressure, too quick to escape the pocket, has shown lack of understanding of pro defensive concepts

-Best arm in of this draft class. There is no throw he cannot make.

-Has a knack for making the deep out across his body look easy.

-Loves to buy his deep target time by rolling away from the pocket, escaping sacks regularly

-Inconsistent accuracy likely due to inconsistent mechanics.

-Adjusts his release point to compensate for angle, lane and trajectory better than any rookie in recent memory. Have to go back to Aaron Rodgers to find a draft prospect who could do that this well.

-Sells the pump fake exceptionally well and backs it up with a high velocity quick whip of a throw.

-Stares down receivers and fails to use his eyes to manipulate coverage even a little.

-I counted one game vs Iowa in which he appeared to improperly adjust his protection six separate times.

-Against Oregon, he seemed completely lost against a three deep shell with no understanding of how to penetrate the coverage

-Outstanding play making capability, the kind of kid who can consistently throw a score from any point on the field.

Overall, Josh Allen is as exciting of a passer as they come. He checks off all of the "bonus" check boxes for scrambling/mobility, big arm, fast release, ability to escape a sack and for his size. The problem is that he does not check off enough check boxes for the basics. Where as Josh Rosen falls short on some of these as well, Rosen still has a leg up on all of those areas than Allen who is well behind the curve there.

Josh Allen is a bit of a project in this regard. But so was Aaron Rodgers who had the same gunslinging, risk taking monicker coming out of college, who also had a poor record of diagnosing a defense and also shares that same big arm, multi release point playmaking ability. So its not a huge issue, considering his 'starting point' is nearly identical to that of one of the best playmaking, team carrying, awe inspiring passers of my lifetime. But it does mean that the road ahead is more of a long journey for Allen, and it will probably be quite bumpy - unlike with Rodgers, Allen likely isnt going to get 4 years of study before being given the keys to a Franchise.

Prediction: Much as I wish I could say he will be a longterm stud, I cant. The pressure on high pick QBs to perform quickly is too great, and he will be thrust into the lineup far too soon. If he had several years to sit quietly behind some star (Eli Manning at the Giants for 2-3 years?) we could be looking at something close to Rodgers or the old escape artist of Cunningham, or something in between there. But he will likely go far too high, asked to do far too much, and be forced to do it on a bad team ... leading to the next Jake Locker, and a sad story of a talented but failed player, and a draft bust.

I WILL ADD JACKSON, AS WELL AS SOME TIDBITS OF X AND O STUFF FOR EACH PLAYER DIRECT FROM THE GAME FILM LIKELY TOMORROW OR LATER THIS EVENING. FOR NOW, ENJOY! (And debate freely!)

LAMAR JACKSON, Louisville

Is he Tim Tebow? Mike Vick? Cam Newton? That is what a lot of people wonder about Jackson. But I think the answer is more like D: None of the above.

See, Lamar Jackson has the speedy and elusiveness running prowess of a young Vick, the vision whilst running that Tebow once displayed, and the downfield accuracy of Newton all wrapped into a single package. That is not to say he is perfection, however, and there are some hefty drawbacks to his game. The positives to what he brings, however, man...if he can put it together at the next level, this kid will be on an elite level all his own.

Best traits: Fast and elusive both behind the line of scrimmage and well beyond it, has the vision of a quality running back, homerun threat running or throwing, quality cannon thrower with plenty of zip, understands basic pro route concepts

Worst traits: Accuracy can be perfect or way off, has struggled throwing his man open, has not shown much when having to lead the throw at full speed, sloppy footwork in the pocket, faltered badly on some larger stages (4picks vs Miss St in a bowl game), not very accurate throwing on the run despite being a running QB, tendency to compound mistakes with more mistakes

-Hefty arch on his deep throws that make for easy catches when able to lead his man properly down the field

-Very good use of his eyes for a young passer, able to freeze a safety or cause a corner to overpursue from his zone with consistency

-Big time arm that has quality velocity on every throw, can get the ball high and far

-With the ball in his hands, a defense has to fear a big play by air or ground on every single down. Very tough player to defend against

-Speed, elusiveness and vision of a high round running back prospect. 

-Struggles with the basic concept of leading his receivers, throwing more "at" his man and not "to" his man

-Tendency to be rattled by his own mistakes, turning a bad series into one long bad game 

-There are not too many linebackers in the NFL who will catch him in space, and even fewer who will get enough of him to bring him down solo in space

-For a QB with his skillset, dreadful when it comes to making a downfield throw on the while on move

-Track record of success running pro route concepts such as the double split, hi lo, triple zone flood, double seam and the deep out post option. 

-Not a gimmick player despite his running prowess, he plays the position of quarterback and there is no doubt in my mind about it

-Fairly good in the pocket, holding his own under the rush and delivering the pass on time

-Very hit or miss with his accuracy, with long stretches of perfection and long stretches of head-scratchers. Very hot and cold.

Final assessment: Lamar Jackson can be something truly special. I know the common thought process is to label him something like a Vick or Watson or Wilson or Newton etc or another african american heritage passer with a runner's skillset. But to do so completely discredits what he brings to the table. Yes, he shares a core set of abilities with guys like that. But he also does things in a way unique to him.

There is no better way to explain Lamar Jackson than to simply say that he, coupled with Watson last year, are simply the types of athletes that will redefine the position of quarterback. Pocket passers will still have their place, but the ability to move and create your own pocket, create your own yardage and buy your own protection has become an increasingly trendy way of playing quarterback. Prescott, Watson, Newton, Wilson, and even less elusive but still mobile veterans like Big Ben, Tony Romo, Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, have all slowly began to put an increasing emphasis on the improv ability of a QB. Jackson is just another is an ever growing lineup of passers who can do more than just sling the ball around.

Prediction: Star, with big bust potential if given a poor coaching situation. I would hate to see him go to a place where he will need to do too much too quickly, but his skill set, like Watson's last year, is indicative of a QB who will single handedly win you some games from day one. He has a lot to learn, and his drawbacks (not leading his guys consistently is a huge problem in the NFL) can hinder him all too often, but I predict stardom early on from this kid. Especially under the right coaching. A poor coaching situation where he has to play in a manner unbefitting to what he can do and this kid will burn out faster than RG3.  I could see a very Dak Prescott-esque rookie rise from him, and a very McNabb-esque career full of wins, playoff runs, and statlines. 

There you guys have it, my far too in depth look at the top QB prospects of this years draft class. 

I was asked to rank them so I will do this a few ways. First --

Order in which I think they will be drafted:

1. Sam Darnold

2. Josh Allen

3. Josh Rosen

4. Lamar Jackson

5. Baker Mayfield

Ranking them now from how well I think each career pans out/how remarkable each becomes:

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Josh Rosen

3. Lamar Jackson

4. Sam Darnold

5. Josh Allen

And finally, ranking them from how quickly I think they can develop/how quickly they pay off for their team:

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Sam Darnold

3. Baker Mayfield

4. Josh Allen

5. Josh Rosen

Debate away.  Agree or disagree with something? Ask anything you guys like. 

I will try to update soon with notes and plays directly from the film.

I had a buddy of mine, who played with me at Notre Dame, ask me recently:

Where do I rate this QB class among some of the better Qb classes of our generation, such as 2004's Eli/Ben/Rivers and 1983's Marino/Elway/Kelly and 2012's Luck/Wilson/Cousins ..

Hard to really say. First and foremost, because this years class has not even taken the field. They could all suck. Or, there could be 3 guys in rounds 4 and beyond who end up as Hall of Famers. 

But, based solely on predraft study (1983 i was a kid so im going on what Ive read) and rankings, I would say this draft class seems to grade out higher than any of the bigtime draft classes before it. There are more prospects, for one. All slated to go much higher than the other draft classes, for two. 

Though, when all is said and done, I think this draft class of QBs, on an all time list of the great draft classes for QBs, will probably fall someplace between what I consider second best, 2004's (four total rings, three hall of famers, amazing longevity and durability from.all top 3 guys) and 1983's, who I will always consider tops (Decade long record holder whos arguably the greatest pure passer to never win the big one, multiple SB appearance all time great who won 2 of them, four total long term starters, and a guy who led a team to four consecutive big games). 

I guess time will tell, but yeah, Id feel safe saying it is somewhere between the two, likelyy closer to 2004s status than 1983s.

Mayfield’s criminal record and off field nonsense is a major concern. When you couple that with his poor mechanics and erratic, improvisational play, it doesn’t typically result in a successful player. I love his moxie, and you can’t teach the leadership or general on-field intangibles that he has, but his character issues are a huge concern.

19 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Mayfield’s criminal record and off field nonsense is a major concern. When you couple that with his poor mechanics and erratic, improvisational play, it doesn’t typically result in a successful player. I love his moxie, and you can’t teach the leadership or general on-field intangibles that he has, but his character issues are a huge concern.

And that is very fair, about his record and all. But he seems to have learned and grown, and while he will always be a bit of a sandpaper player (rubbing some people a bit too harshly) what he brings to table as a player outweighs the concern.

His mechanics need some polish, but Id say are pretty on par with most top candidates over the recent few years. I also dont see the troublesome improv that plagues some players. He tends to pull things together utilizing what is available in his routes and protections even when the play has completely broken down, which has been indicative more of success at the pro level (in recent years). That worrisome type of improv, where you break away from the play before the play itself has broken down, is typically the problem...but Ive not seen it from Mayfield

I really like how he can piece together something when what should have been there has been taken away. He has a real knack for just making it happen, one way or the other...again, if even just to brag to everyone how awesome he is, ha.

MASON RUDOLPH, Oklahoma State

There are so many mixed reviews about this kid that anyone not watching him themselves and instead googling for info on him will only end up confused and frustrated. I bet you if I asked 10 people what they thought of him, each person would have a pretty different opinion. 

Rudolph has a mix of qualities that remind you of an era in football where standing tall and delivering an easily catchable ball with good placement was more preferable to the big armed guy who can scramble away or shake off a defender and launches a risky, laser guided rocket up the field. You just dont get too many of these classic types anymore, and when you do (Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Teddy Bridgewater among others) you almost always seem to see them slide on down to the end of the first, or well into the second round as an afterthought to the more athletic kids or the flashier gunslingers. But as we have seen with the guys I mentioned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your Andy Daltons, your Derek Carrs, your Case Keenums and those types who can run an offense, win you some tough contests, manage the clock, and play a leadership role despite the lack of flashier traits (rocket arm, evasive running, outspoken leadership, tons of big game experience, etc) 

Best traits: Smart decision making, makes great reads, accurate throwing to moving targets, outstanding from the pocket, throws are always an easy catch, prototype size and toughness

Worst traits: Mediocre arm, balls have a tendency to float a little too long, throws can be a bit ugly and wobbly at times, tendency to hold onto the ball too long, will struggle to out throw a zone defender

-Arguably the best pocket passer of the top guys this year. Sets up with great mechanics, shows good poise, displays an understanding and feel for pressure and how to manipulate the pocket to avoid it

-Passes come out wobbly and ugly when windows seem small and he rushes his throw

-Does not have the arm to outthrow good zone cover guys, and may underthrow some man beater routes

-Still has the arm however to deliver most of the throws he will need to without an issue

-Mechanics are sound but can use tweaking, wind up prolongs his time to release

-Tendency to hold onto the ball too long, showing some hesitation on specific routes and their window for delivery

-Poised under pressure, seems unshakeable no matter the situation. The kind of kid you are comfortable giving the ball to on 3rd and long with only 30 seconds to play, who isnt afraid to take the hit to make the throw

-Old fashioned pocket passer capable of dropping in a catchable ball to nearly any route under any type of rush

-Decision making and defensive reads are top notch for a draft prospect. Very low INT totals are a testament to his ability to see, read, diagnose and understand what is happening

-Really needs to anticipate better and make throws more assertively and proactively, showing a hesitation and a double pat/extra step whenever he seems unsure

Final Assessment: Overall, the kids got a great set of skills. The way he works the pocket, his ability to see the entire defense and make a good read and a prompt good decision are usually a good sign for the future success of a passer when they get a chance to play on Sundays.

What holds him back more than anything is his extra step mechanics that seem to result from a hesitation in his throw. He makes the read, but hesitates to throw - perhaps understanding his own limitations as a passer. He needs to speed the game up and throw it as fast as he makes the read in order to succeed in the NFL. This sport, in the pro level, is full of guys with Rudolph's skillset who cant get on the field because the game has stayed too slow for them for likely these same reasons (Tom Savage, Chase Daniel, Mike Glennon, Matt Cassel, Matt Flynn). There are those with these skillsets who took to the speed of the pro game quickly and did well (Dalton, Derek Carr, Bridgewater) but I do not see that with Rudolph. He could fall somewhere more in the middle of that grouping with the guys sharing the same skillsets who took some time getting the speed of the NFL down before excelling, even only briefly at times, when earning their (sometimes second or even third) chance to play, like Nick Foles, Case Keenum and yes, Kirk Cousins.

Prediction: I can see a team falling in love with what he could possibly do for them, both in the short and long term, and taking him in the first round. He will struggle. But also show flashes of good quarterbacking. If the team does not give up on him.and rides the roller coaster, I would not be shocked if Rudolph becomes one of those 'next tier' passers just under the more commonly talked about guys, who just consistently wins enough guys and puts up just enough numbers  to earn a few nice paydays and keep taking the field sunday after sunday. Your Andy Dalton type of guy.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive watched more and more of these passers and I have to say I am still really impressed by just about all of them.

I wasnt fond of Goff/Wentz, and still think you will see their downsides as their careers play out. I thought Lynch had rhe most to offer if given time, but injury has slowed him tona halt. I was intrigued some with Mahomes, but not very high on he nor Trubisky, relating both to Jay Cutler types, borderline good at best. Was very very high on Watson, and expected him to take the league by storm.

Was really underwhelmed by most ofnthe top QBs of the last few years. This crop however, I can see 4 longterm starters or more coming from, even if guys like Jackson and Allen flake. The best of the rest:

Luke Falk, Washington State:

Ball comes out of his hand as naturally as it does Rosen's, and henis very accurate on difficult routes. Mechanics get sloppy, poor pocket awareness, and subpar arm, but in the right system as a 4th round kinda guy, he could surprise a team as a late round find

Kyle Lauletta, Richmond:

Outstanding ball placement and window anticipation. Throws a very catchable ball under pressure. Tough system to come out of, lack of upper tier coaching can be a worry. But looking for a late round guy to.groom as a backup, maybe 5th round or so, you cant find a better guy to nod your head to in the last few years. Should easily compete for a starting job as he learns more.

Mike White, Western Kentucky:

Another 5th or 6th round caliber guy who could easily be groomed as a backup ans earn a chance to compete for a starting gig, White is incredibly gifted under pressure in the pocket and knows how to keep his feet properly balanced for a direct throw. Had turnover issues at USF against stiffer competition, but never looked properly prepared. Because of his hard winding release, may require the right gameplan and above average protection to ever really thrive. Reminds me of a less polished Leftwich when he was coming out.

More best of the rest..

J.T. Barrett, Ohio State:

No QB of this class has played on as many big stages as Barrett. He has a natural feel for escaping the pocker and is hard to corral when attempting to grab him behind or ahead of the line of scrimmage. Rough around the edges and lacking polish, he has proven his cons can be overlooked when aiming for a mid round prospect to develop. A dual threat kind of passer who may always have some miscues and accuracy issues, but can more than make up for it with his legs and abillity to come thru in the clutch.

Chase Litton, Marshall:

Prototype size and laser guided rocket launcher of an arm, Litton's checkered past has many teams overlooking him. Combine his past with sub-quality coaching, a questionable system, and he is easily off many boards. But dont sleep on this prototypical size and arm pocket passer QB that has shown moxie and toughness.

Riley Ferguson, Memphis:

Thin framed with a big arm and an athletic prowess to how he plays, he is similar to his predeccesor Paxton Lynch in several ways. Lacking Lynch's knack for the big play however, and a long stretch of accuracy issues when throwing the deep ball, has Ferguson sliding on most boards. That said, his athleticism and big time arm are huge plus's to work with if you are willing to invest the time to work on his fundamentals, or rather, his lack thereof.

Archived