De Shone a Chief?

brooks1957

I don't know how I feel about this yet - I am sure it would be based on the return we receive. But on the surface, I would say no. DeShone was just 21 years old last year. He has obvious physical gifts. I want to see, after going through a very rough rookie season of 2017, how he applies the frustration of those experiences with the lessons he will be taught by new QB coach Ken Zampese.

I have a bad gut feeling this would be a knee jerk reaction that would end up as we gave up way too early on Kizer. We take the lumps developing him in 2017, and the Chiefs swoop in and grab all the credit for developing him like the Browns didn't. Screw that.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/03/trade-possibility-browns-qb-deshone-kizer-to-the-chiefs/

Doesn't really matter to me what we do with him. I didn't think he was a second round quality QB before the draft. His rookie season, regardless of some of the unfair factors he had to deal with, aligned with my thoughts.

We're now going to drop the #1 overall on an actual blue-chip QB prospect who we intend to be our QB for the next ten years.

Chiefs have their own as well.

Kizer is a backup. Doesn't really matter to me whether it's on the Browns or the Chiefs. Might as well keep him though. No real point in bouncing a second round pick that's 22 years old, for minimal return.

Am I open to trading Kizer? Sure, I suppose.

Would I want him traded for a day 3 pick? Lol no.

Kizer checks every box as far as physical tools and is a great kid by all accounts both on and off the field. He does have holes in his game though, no doubt.  Still young as hell, younger than guys at the combine in fact.

IMO he’s exactly what you want as a 3rd QB.

Unless Dorsey and Hue want two vets in the QB room with the rookie, I’m not seeing any point in moving him. If they do trade him, I’d sure like a better return than a late round pick.

To me they need to clean house of the QB room. 

The guys running the front office have solid track records of evaluating and picking QBs. I rather have them find the vet, find the QBOTF, and find the sleepers.

i like kizer but trading him to a place he can grow and develop would be a great for him and it allows this FO to find their guys. 

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The guys running the front office have solid track records of evaluating and picking QBs. I rather have them find the vet, find the QBOTF, and find the sleepers.

i like kizer but trading him to a place he can grow and develop would be a great for him and it allows this FO to find their guys. 

Can he not grow and develop here lol?

Good discussion guys. Although I can see and totally understand Buno's POV, I agree with LGB's point more. I think Ken Zampese, and his track record, is a major upgrade from previous QB coach David Lee.

Coach Lee was right when he stated that DeShone was not ready yet for the NFL. And yet DeShone really struggled with the more experience he gained. I'd like to see how he develops under Zampese.

So, no to the trade. We have already experienced the low side, now it is time to experience the ride on the top of the wave.

They only way I want to give up on developing Kizer is if we get another player.

I proposed a Kizer + Carolina 4th for Mathieu - FS in my mock draft. Obviously I dont know what the market is for Tyrann Mathieu but Id be willing to throw just a bit more in.

Happy to see him Go. Need a veteran Q to go with high pick. Would love another mild starter in QB room as well. 

Kizer isn't ready to be back up anyways. Yeah he is young with potential and i can see why to keep him but I say trade him as long as they sign some okay (think low end starters and Josh Mccown) 

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

Generally agree.

Wouldn't mind keeping Kizer for a while just in case he can improve.

Vet, Kizer and Darnold until growth shows.

man yall are so crazy 

22 year old QB who had Kenny Britt, Ricardo Louis, and SAmmie Coates to throw to 

You gentlemen are lunatics

there is no reason to get rid of Kizer for a slight amount of return 

even if he isnt the franchise 

THE SMART THING TO DO  is develop and rehab him then trade him later at worst a Jacoby Brissett scenario 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

man yall are so crazy 

22 year old QB who had Kenny Britt, Ricardo Louis, and SAmmie Coates to throw to 

You gentlemen are lunatics

there is no reason to get rid of Kizer for a slight amount of return 

even if he isnt the franchise 

THE SMART THING TO DO  is develop and rehab him then trade him later at worst a Jacoby Brissett scenario 

Exactly. He's soooo young and QBs often take a big jump in their ability to perform after their rookie season.

6 hours ago, dawgdish said:

I don't think Kizer is a lost cause to develop as one of our backup QBs, and doubt we get a draft pick worth shipping him out for. 

Exactly. If we can get a 2nd rounder or higher I trade him. I don’t think he’ll ever be more than a back up, but he has enough talent to warrant that 3rd string guy to develop. 

I really don't care. He could become a competent starting QB eventually but right now he isn't what you usually want in a backup (unless you really have no starter and are hoping for someone on the roster to possibly step up). If he is here I'm good if he isn't I'm good. I hope he never gets to get extended time as a starter here, that means something went bad.

Archived