Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodgers-waiting-kirk-cousins-161308115.html 

First of all, if this report is true this is not a good sign for our team long-term. I have no problem with Rodgers or any individual getting paid as much as they can, heck, I do. From a football standpoint, this is going to make it more difficult to compete in the salary cap era. It's just a fact if your QB is eating up 15-18% of your cap there is less money to go around. Couple that with our need to upgrade the talent on the team. Specifically, WR, pass rusher, CB and one could say O-line. Those challenges become even more daunting with Rodgers salary going up likely 8-10 million over the current money he's getting. If he insists on throwing out his current deal and startng over, even more of a problem. 

I'm really starting to get in the corner of trading him in a blockbuster deal, signing a guy like Bradford, drafting a QB (Josh Allen is my ideal guy to groom for 2 years) and letting the chips fall where they may. I sincerely believe Cleveland is so desperate for a winner, and the Packer connection there, you could rob them blind. Talking Myles Garrett, 2-1st, 2 or 3 2nds this year. We could even throw in Matthews, Nelson, Cobb, one or all of them to boot. 

Risky move to be sure. I'm of the believe that we don't win another Super Bowl with Rodgers and if that is the deal than no downside IMO. I'm also sure there is no one in the Packers organization who agrees with me but that has never stopped me before. 

Aaron's last deal averaged $22m per year. The cap in that year was $123m. His salary was virtually 17.9% of the total cap.

A similar percentage of the 2018 cap (about $178m) would be in the $32m per year range.

So if Rodgers new deal was (as golfman mentioned) $10m more per year than his previous deal, it would be $32m, the same percentage of the cap as before.

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many threads do we need discussing potentially trading Aaron Rodgers?

Sorry, I looked on the first page and did not see one or would have added my comment to that one. 

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many threads do we need discussing potentially trading Aaron Rodgers?

As mamy as it takes for us to trade him.  Keeping him gives us a three year window.  Trading him gives us a 10 year window.  

What do 90% of Super Bowl winning quarterbacks have in common?  Defense.  

Packers have tons of leverage, we have Aaron for 2 years for 42 million, with 2 years of franchise tags, probably 4 years for just over 100 million.

Even if we give Rodgers 32 million per in new money for say 4 years, still only about 28 million per year average over 6 years, which will likely be a steal in 3-4 years.

Everyone points to Rodgers now and say he is underpaid now seem to forget he got over 38 million dollars in the first year of his contract.

Tend to agree Golf.  It is a business don't think it's Aaron it's his agent playing the numbers game.  Would we win more games with a high priced Aaron Rodgers or a drafted QB?  Tend to think that when all is said and done we are probably better off keeping Aaron and swallowing his contract.  If I were the Packers I would not sign him to a long term deal.  Best option IMO is to let him play out the remainder of his contract for another 2 years.  Then franchise him and trade him for a boatload of picks.  That is only if he is going to play hardball.  We get another few years with him then blow it up and rebuild.  Meanwhile we could draft a replacement and groom him.  

If we had a Mike Glennon level QB and 2 additional solid FA’s (essentially Rodgers cap space) would we be better? I’d argue not.

The teams that win Super Bowls sign the right vets and get fair value from them, and hit on cheap labor in the draft and get great value before year 5 hits. Recently between injuries and picking late, out cheap labor has been subpar. Signing the best qb to a market deal is fair. 

Way too many people on here have gotten way too used to having competent QB play. You start thinking that it's a given and that's a dangerous trap to fall into. 

There are a lot of first round QBs that bust hard. 

++++++++

I don't see any reason you don't give Rodgers two years time with Pettine's defense. He's under contract for two more years and you've got the franchse tag for two years. That takes him until he's 38 years old. Does it suck for Aaron, yep. Is he going to be happy with you, probably not. But that's life. Unless you're really worried about him holding out or something, that's the game that you play if you're so aghast at paying an elite QB, elite QB money. 

55 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

As mamy as it takes for us to trade him.  Keeping him gives us a three year window.  Trading him gives us a 10 year window.  

What do 90% of Super Bowl winning quarterbacks have in common?  Defense.  

How does trading Aaron Rodgers guarantee we have a Super Bowl caliber defense?

Just now, flyers0909 said:

How does trading Aaron Rodgers guarantee we have a Super Bowl caliber defense?

It doesn't.  Never said it did.  If If Aaron Rodgers counts a certain percentage against our cap at 37 years old, it's going to be that much more difficult to make or maintain a defense.

We have Aaron Rodgers for this coming season and the next season for ~ 20 million dollars a year.  We have the next year's franchise tag.  He will be 37 years old at that point with two collarbone injuries.  I will be very angry if we give him an Aaron-friendly deal with the leverage we have. 

Archived