Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

13 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Every other playoff loss we have had under Rodgers can basically be attributed to the defense. He doesn't owe anyone a discount and his wife isn't worth $350 million. 

How in the world is Gisele worth that much? I guess being really, really, really ridiculously good looking is a serious moneymaker. Rodgers did just come into about $55m more though..

Rodgers Brady
Games  16 37
TD 36 71
TDs Per 2.25           1.92
INT 10 31
TD:INT Ratio 3.6 2.3
YPG 278.63 276.38
Comp %  63.5 62.8

Rodgers has lost 3 times in OT without ever possessing the ball. 2 of them he lead game tying drives (SEA & ARI) and in the 7 losses our Defense has given up an average of 35 PTS. Brady's team has given up more than 35 one time and it was this years Super Bowl. 

One player can't fully carry a team to championships but Rodgers is as close as you will ever get to it. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

As I mentioned over and over in the early parts of this thread, qb salaries are not even close to being maxed out.  There's no reason you can't field a competitive team with allocating 20%+ to the QB position so long as that player is actually an elite QB (one of the top 2-3 in the game at the time).  If that player is an all time great elite player like Rodgers or Brady, I think 25% could be justified from an economic point of view.

So with the 2018 cap of $178M, that would put Rodgers at $35-44M (20-25%)

His Cap hit for this year is $20M.

Where are you going to come up with the remaining $15-25M in cap space to move Rodgers cap hit to the 20-25% and what players are you willing to let go to make that happen?

Not saying it can't be done, but a team is going to need to hit on a lot higher % of draft picks in successive years to find cheap talent to supplement the exchange in players for that cap hit.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Really, constructing an entire roster based on % of cap appeases the efficiency part of my brain.

I can't believe some team hasn't done this already.

It's a concept promoted by the ever-reliable ProFootballTalk for some time now. Would only decrease flexibility of contracts and would still depend on whether contracts were guaranteed or not. Sounds good in theory, solves nothing. 

4 minutes ago, salmar80 said:

It's a concept promoted by the ever-reliable ProFootballTalk for some time now. Would only decrease flexibility of contracts and would still depend on whether contracts were guaranteed or not. Sounds good in theory, solves nothing. 

Solves everything. It's like tying your investments to an index. Everyone wins and loses together.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Solves everything. It's like tying your investments to an index. Everyone wins and loses together.

Except how do incentives, signing bonuses, workout bonuses, guaranteed money, etc work?

If I sign a 4 year deal worth 15% of the cap in a given year, what do I get for signing on the dotted line? What's the incentive for me to show up for TC? If I'm an all pro and want to be rewarded how does that work?

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Except how do incentives, signing bonuses, workout bonuses, guaranteed money, etc work?

If I sign a 4 year deal worth 15% of the cap in a given year, what do I get for signing on the dotted line? What's the incentive for me to show up for TC? If I'm an all pro and want to be rewarded how does that work?

This is easy...

+0.1% of cap for showing up...

23 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So with the 2018 cap of $178M, that would put Rodgers at $35-44M (20-25%)

His Cap hit for this year is $20M.

Where are you going to come up with the remaining $15-25M in cap space to move Rodgers cap hit to the 20-25% and what players are you willing to let go to make that happen?

Not saying it can't be done, but a team is going to need to hit on a lot higher % of draft picks in successive years to find cheap talent to supplement the exchange in players for that cap hit.

just depends on how you want to structure the deal in terms of the cap hit.  Considering he's already signed for 2 years 40 mil, you just tack on those into the deal and average them in.

Clearly the team is not set up to do this immediately with one swift stroke.

Pretty easy to find that space once you move on from Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb though.  Anyway, the point is that putting your franchise QB at 20-25% of the cap and having that handicap is still preferable to having Josh McCown, a Rookie draft pick, and the extra cap space.

Soooo... No signing bonus, base salary or active roster money for being on team for actual games, workout bonuses, per game bonuses, pro bowl and all-pro or SB bonuses, just one amount tied to cap... Zero flexibility treating with, for example, risky cases. 

Great for mathematically challenged fans, who would like an illusion of understanding contracts. Great for debate on forums. Bad for those actually involved with paying for 'em or getting them.

[sees reply] Yeah, lets do equivalents of bonuses in % of cap form, and pretend it won't get just as complicated.

This is easy...

+0.1% of cap for showing up...

I guess, you're taking away the greatest value of an NFL long term contract though. The fact that by the end of it you're usually getting a bargain.

If I was a GM I'd give a fully guaranteed deal to a QB before tying him to a cap percentage any day.

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I guess, you're taking away the greatest value of an NFL long term contract though. The fact that by the end of it you're usually getting a bargain.

If I was a GM I'd give a fully guaranteed deal to a QB before tying him to a cap percentage any day.

The latter sounds more fair and efficient to me.

Just like all sorts of expenditures should be tied to rates not absolute values. Retirement age to life expectancy, etc.

The latter sounds more fair and efficient to me.

Just like all sorts of expenditures nahoukd be tied to rates not absolute values. Retirement age to life expectancy, etc.

As I GM I don't care about "fairness" my job is to provide value to my team. Increasing contract with cap percentage ties is not at all a good way to do so, unless a player sells himself short on the cap they're demanding.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

As I GM I don't care about "fairness" my job is to provide value to my team. Increasing contract with cap percentage ties is not at all a good way to do so, unless a player sells himself short on the cap they're demanding.

Ok? So?

As a GM you get a 50% say in this. The player gets the other 50%.

Archived