Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

1 hour ago, th87 said:

Unpopular opinion incoming...

If the rumors are true, why does Rodgers want to be the highest paid QB so fervently?  I know he deserves to be, and as a matter of pragmatism, he should be squeezing as much money out of the NFL as he can.

However, from a legacy standpoint - if he wants to go out as the GOAT, then why couldn't/wouldn't he take a sizable pay cut in order to fit in other veterans?  Kind of like how Brady does.  Is there a lifestyle/purchasing power difference between 20 and 30 million?

In GOAT discussions, another thing that has to work in Brady's favor is that he has been willing to take less money to win more.  Yeah, Gisele has more money, etc., but the effect is palpable.

But did Brady really take a home town discount? 

I don't lambaste a player for taking the money.  Too many players' careers have ended out there.  Both the player and the team are taking a risk.   Of all of the QBs out there our guy is one of the few who really deserve it.  He is one of the few players in the league who can tilt the field all by himself.  I doubt we'll see another player like him in green and gold again any time soon.

10 hours ago, th87 said:

Unpopular opinion incoming...

If the rumors are true, why does Rodgers want to be the highest paid QB so fervently?  I know he deserves to be, and as a matter of pragmatism, he should be squeezing as much money out of the NFL as he can.

However, from a legacy standpoint - if he wants to go out as the GOAT, then why couldn't/wouldn't he take a sizable pay cut in order to fit in other veterans?  Kind of like how Brady does.  Is there a lifestyle/purchasing power difference between 20 and 30 million?

In GOAT discussions, another thing that has to work in Brady's favor is that he has been willing to take less money to win more.  Yeah, Gisele has more money, etc., but the effect is palpable.

I've heard this repeated ad nauseum, but have never seen the proof.  I know Brady has renegotiated to push his cap hit down, but I don't think he has actually taken less money, it's just paid out differently.  The Patriots don't win because Brady 'plays for less', they win because they have the best Coach in the NFL for the last 20(?) years. Seriously, what difference would a couple million dollars have made over the last 5 years with Capers as the DC?

15 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I've heard this repeated ad nauseum, but have never seen the proof.  I know Brady has renegotiated to push his cap hit down, but I don't think he has actually taken less money, it's just paid out differently. 

This is true. It goes to his wife. Tom's on an allowance.

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I've heard this repeated ad nauseum, but have never seen the proof.  I know Brady has renegotiated to push his cap hit down, but I don't think he has actually taken less money, it's just paid out differently.  The Patriots don't win because Brady 'plays for less', they win because they have the best Coach in the NFL for the last 20(?) years. Seriously, what difference would a couple million dollars have made over the last 5 years with Capers as the DC?

Brady's cap hit this decade has been around 13-17 million, with 22 in 2018 and 2019.  He has ranked around 12-20 in cap hit leaguewide.   

It doesn't hurt.

11 hours ago, Pugger said:

But did Brady really take a home town discount? 

I don't lambaste a player for taking the money.  Too many players' careers have ended out there.  Both the player and the team are taking a risk.   Of all of the QBs out there our guy is one of the few who really deserve it.  He is one of the few players in the league who can tilt the field all by himself.  I doubt we'll see another player like him in green and gold again any time soon.

Yes, Brady takes less money or structures it so that he doesn't incur a large cap hit.

Yes, Rodgers deserves every dollar and more.  But if he finds his legacy more important, then he should sacrifice some dollars to squeeze in a weapon or two.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Does Rodgers have a charity or a foundation?

4/100 to Rodgers. 4/30 to his charity. Can't tell me Brady doesn't get this so the NFL obviously doesn't look too deep into this.

He does a lot of work with MACC and other orgs fighting against childhood cancers

5 minutes ago, th87 said:

Yes, Brady takes less money or structures it so that he doesn't incur a large cap hit.

Yes, Rodgers deserves every dollar and more.  But if he finds his legacy more important, then he should sacrifice some dollars to squeeze in a weapon or two.

Rodgers' Cap Hit                                                       Brady's Cap Hit

2013 - $11,650,000                                                   $13,800,000                    

2014 - $17,550,000                                                   $14,800,000

2015 - $18,250,000                                                   $14,000,000

2016 - $19,250,000                                                   $13,764,000

2017 - $20,300,000                                                   $14,000,000

2018 - $20,562,000                                                   $22,000,000

The packers won the Super Bowl in 2010 then went 15-1 the next year with one of the worst defenses of all time (after Collins went down). What did the Packers do with the with low cap hits in the years after? They played MD Jennings at safety, spent no money anywhere and kept Dom year after year. Even now his cap hit is less than Brady's, this narrative is false. TT just refused to add FA's to the team and pay outgoing ones. We have had plenty of chances to add players around Rodgers and didn't do anything. Rodgers' legacy is fine and always will be. The better legacy to worry about is TT/MM for blowing it with him. They don't deserve a discount from him.

With that said with the rising cap and Russ Ball wizardry I am sure we will be fine. Will we add quality FAs and pay to keep the right players? That is the real question here. 

17 minutes ago, th87 said:

Brady's cap hit this decade has been around 13-17 million, with 22 in 2018 and 2019.  He has ranked around 12-20 in cap hit leaguewide.   

It doesn't hurt.

Since 2010, Brady has made $123 million. Since 2010, Rodgers has made $109 million. Let's say we go from 2013, when Rodgers signed his extension, Rodgers has made $86.4 million. Since 2013, Brady has made $74 million. Brady doesn't take a discount. Now, as for the cap hits and how the contract is structured, that really has little to do with the player taking a discount. 

4 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

What did the Packers do with the with low cap hits in the years after? They played MD Jennings at safety, spent no money anywhere and kept Dom year after year. Even now his cap hit is less than Brady's, this narrative is false. TT just refused to add FA's to the team and pay outgoing ones.

For sure, but we have a new GM and DC. All appearances suggest Gute is trying to add players by any means he can. I'm a fan of both TT and Gute so far, but I think Gute will be somewhat more aggressive in FA than TT was. I just hope he and Russ Ball can figure out a way to structure the demands of Rodgers so GB can acquire enough talent to win another super bowl or three before Rodgers is gone. 

Just now, Kepler said:

For sure, but we have a new GM and DC. All appearances suggest Gute is trying to add players by any means he can. I'm a fan of both TT and Gute so far, but I think Gute will be somewhat more aggressive in FA than TT was. I just hope he and Russ Ball can figure out a way to structure the demands of Rodgers so GB can acquire enough talent to win another super bowl or three before Rodgers is gone. 

I don't think the Pettine thing can be overstated enough. I liked TT as a GM and he stuck to his guns which I appreciate. I have also been of the belief that he provided talent to Dom. Dom just never knew how to use it properly.

I was more pointing to the fact that Rodgers' contract was never a hindrance to adding playmakers. 

3 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

I don't think the Pettine thing can be overstated enough. I liked TT as a GM and he stuck to his guns which I appreciate. I have also been of the belief that he provided talent to Dom. Dom just never knew how to use it properly.

I was more pointing to the fact that Rodgers' contract was never a hindrance to adding playmakers. 

I would definitely say you're correct that Rodgers previous cap hits weren't prohibitive to acquiring talent that Capers squandered. 

I'm just a bit worried about the recent contract trend initiated by Minnesota and Cousins, followed by the reports of Rodgers agent trying to tie their contract to a cap percentage. With the way things are setup in the NFL, small markets can still remain competitive and I don't want to see that change down the road because Minnesota decided to **** something else up for everyone. 

46 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I would definitely say you're correct that Rodgers previous cap hits weren't prohibitive to acquiring talent that Capers squandered. 

I'm just a bit worried about the recent contract trend initiated by Minnesota and Cousins, followed by the reports of Rodgers agent trying to tie their contract to a cap percentage. With the way things are setup in the NFL, small markets can still remain competitive and I don't want to see that change down the road because Minnesota decided to **** something else up for everyone. 

That's what Minny does.  They were the authors of the 'poison pill' contract that the league had to change the rules to prevent. They had to do that to get Cousins to sign.  Who else would give a ' bit above average' QB the most money in the league?!? No wonder their trophy case is absolutely empty!

1 hour ago, th87 said:

The bolded is two different things.

Do you offer to take less money at work to further your legacy? I bet not. Plus, if that's what you're judging Aaron on....I can't help you.

Hopefully you've read some of the other responses to help explain.  The bigger difference between Rodgers and Brady is who their coach was.

Archived