Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

This whole Aaron deal will make or break Gute's career.  If he gives in just to get it done and gives Rodgers something like 15% of the cap, he'll be gone faster than Thompson was.  15% of the cap will make winning Super Bowls damn near impossible.  If he sticks to the fact that we can control Rodgers for the next four years and plays hard ball with Rodgers, he'll go down as a good GM, and we'll probably win a Super Bowl, too. 

Ted Thompson had the balls to trade Brett Favre.  Hopefully Gute has the balls to make Rodgers accept something new or play out his two years. 

I just really don't like Aaron.  He's the biggest diva at the QB position possibly to ever play the game. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This whole Aaron deal will make or break Gute's career.  If he gives in just to get it done and gives Rodgers something like 15% of the cap, he'll be gone faster than Thompson was.  15% of the cap will make winning Super Bowls damn near impossible.  If he sticks to the fact that we can control Rodgers for the next four years and plays hard ball with Rodgers, he'll go down as a good GM, and we'll probably win a Super Bowl, too. 

Ted Thompson had the balls to trade Brett Favre.  Hopefully Gute has the balls to make Rodgers accept something new or play out his two years. 

I just really don't like Aaron.  He's the biggest diva at the QB position possibly to ever play the game. 

Keep in mind that if the cap continues to grow in anything like the way it has, giving Rodgers the 17-18% that a lot of people are expecting in a conventional contract will very quickly become much less. The nominal ~18% of the cap that he got in his 2013 deal became something more like 12% in 2017. In actuality, his cap hits by year were: 9.4%, 13.2%, 12.7%, 12.4%, and 12.1% in the years he's played out so far. So the nominal APY as a percentage of the cap at the year of signing isn't indicative of the actual cap hits over the course of the contract.

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Keep in mind that if the cap continues to grow in anything like the way it has, giving Rodgers the 17-18% that a lot of people are expecting in a conventional contract will very quickly become much less. The nominal ~18% of the cap that he got in his 2013 deal became something more like 12% in 2017. In actuality, his cap hits by year were: 9.4%, 13.2%, 12.7%, 12.4%, and 12.1% in the years he's played out so far. So the nominal APY as a percentage of the cap at the year of signing isn't indicative of the actual cap hits over the course of the contract.

Hence the opt out clause - so he can go back to the well

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I looked for any hint of sarcasm. I didn't see it. Are you on the downside of a mood swing ?

8 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

That's not what I'm afraid of though.  Rodgers wants his contract to be 15 or whatever percent every year.  I don't care if he gets paid 30% of the cap this year as long as that falls down to a manageable 11-12% in later years, but that's not what he wants.  He wants X percent of the cap every single year, and he wants his contract to say that he will get paid that X amount every year. 

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I looked for any hint of sarcasm. I didn't see it. Are you on the downside of a mood swing ?

There have been 52 Super Bowls.  That's 52 Quarterbacks to win those 52 Super Bowls.  The highest percentage of the cap that any QB in the history of the Super Bowl has taken up has been 13 percent.  That has happened ONCE in a year the Niners got penalized for going over the cap limit.  Only 4 quarterbacks have ever won while accounting for 11% of the cap or more (Young, Peyton Manning, Brady, Eli Manning).  If Rodgers is talking about getting 20 or even 15 percent of the cap tied to his contract, no, the Packers will not win another Super Bowl while he is here.  You can call me crazy and make all the jokes you want, but when four quarterbacks in NFL history have won a Super Bowl getting paid over 11%, when the highest was 13%, and when 14 of the last 24 teams to win the Super Bowl have paid their quarterback under 9% of the cap, I'm definitely okay with being called the crazy one while having the entirety of NFL history on my side. 

This is going to be fun.  Again.  Nobody has a counter to zero quarterbacks in the history of the game winning a Super Bowl while being paid 14% of the salary cap, and yet I'm the crazy one not taking my medicine for stating that in no world should Gute cave and give him 15% of the salary cap.  Always fun. 

My argument - Cold hard facts, trends and the entire history of the NFL.

The argument everybody hops onto - It's Aaron Rodgers, lol, and stuff.

15 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This is going to be fun.  Again.  Nobody has a counter to zero quarterbacks in the history of the game winning a Super Bowl while being paid 14% of the salary cap, and yet I'm the crazy one not taking my medicine for stating that in no world should Gute cave and give him 15% of the salary cap.  Always fun. 

For the record, mine was said in jest.  But let's look at this objectively, what should the Packers do?

31 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Tell Rodgers there's two years left on his deal, we'll talk next summer. 

That's probably a bit extreme. His deal needs to be updated, but I'm not letting him break any new ground other than being the highest paid QB.

No opt outs.  No % of the cap. Pandora's box has been opened on the guaranteed money so the Packers have no choice there. The guaranteed money is the perk, that's good enough. That's his update over previous deals. No need to give him damn near fully guaranteed plus some of this other crap.

Then tell his agent the team wants an opt out clause. See how he likes it. I hate people

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Your trend is based off a short history, QBs in the past eras didn't make as much as they do today. It's also based on the loophole of Tom Brady, who would've won SBs anyway whether he was at 10% or 15%. 

In 10 years that point will be irrelevant as any QB who's any good will be making 15% of the cap. A rookie QB is not going to win every SB.

Archived