Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

What in the hell, man?  I just quoted your original quote.  You said nowhere in the question about draft.  You said "have."  Show me where you asked when a team has ever drafted back to back quarterbacks.  I get it.  You meant to ask "drafted," but you didn't. 

I  suggest you go back and look at both my post and YOUR quote.  

Again, I didn't "mean to ask" anything.  I  made a simple observation that had nothing to do with my original question one you've seemed to butcher a second time after being brought to your attention.  

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If having a set cap percentage was an okay/safe/good/team-friendly/manageable type of contract, Aaron Rodgers would not be the first one to sign it.  There's a reason it has never happened before. 

Consider all the major changes to contracts in the NFL.

Fully guaranteed contracts.  Length records of contracts.  Total money records. 

In spite of all the advances in contract negotiations, in spite of all the unique deals and clauses and variances in how contracts are handled, no player has ever been guaranteed a cap percentage.  I'm the only one who sees a problem with that? 

Of course it's not an ideal situation, it's not like the Packers are going to bring that offer to the table first with no negotiation. 

It's something you'd only be willing to do for the top 1-2 QBs in the NFL at a given time and that's Aaron. I just don't see it as a death sentence if that is the only way we can keep him.

Just now, SSG said:

I  suggest you go back and look at both my post and YOUR quote.  

Again, I didn't "mean to ask" anything.  I  made a simple observation that had nothing to do with my original question one you've seemed to butcher a second time after being brought to your attention.  

The confidence  you have with your answer is hysterical considering it wasn't the question that was asked.  I'd stay away from Jeopardy if I were you.

Why don't you break it down for me because I'm not getting where you're coming from.

You asked whether or not I thought the Packers would be the first team in history to HAVE back-to-back HOF quarterbacks.  I pointed out that the Packers actually have done that, and that they were the third team to do that.  You laugh at me for pointing out that wasn't the question that was asked, I reminded you it WAS the question that was asked. 

That's where I'm at.  What am I missing? 

30 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

How many Super Bowls would the Pats went to/won without Brady?  3. 

This is a wild assumption that isn't based on anything that has happened on the field.  In 2007 New England had one of the 3 best teams in NFL history.  They went 16-0 in the regular season and rushed through the AFC playoffs with relative ease.  They lost in the Super Bowl in large part because of one of the most miraculous catches in NFL history.   In 2008, that same team lost Tom Brady and didn't even make the playoffs much less make the Super Bowl.  The last time New England didn't make the playoffs is the last time they went a full season without TB12.

Just now, SSG said:

In 2008, that same team lost Tom Brady and didn't even make the playoffs much less make the Super Bowl.  The last time New England didn't make the playoffs is the last time they went a full season without TB12.

Yeah, and Matt Cassell won 11 games.  Matt Cassell.  It's easy to say the Patriots missed the playoffs the following season.  Not quite as easy for your argument to admit they missed the playoffs after winning 11 games (how many times has that happened?). 

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Why don't you break it down for me because I'm not getting where you're coming from.

You asked whether or not I thought the Packers would be the first team in history to HAVE back-to-back HOF quarterbacks.  I pointed out that the Packers actually have done that, and that they were the third team to do that.  You laugh at me for pointing out that wasn't the question that was asked, I reminded you it WAS the question that was asked. 

That's where I'm at.  What am I missing? 

You are missing that it still wasn't the question that was asked.  Not in your quote or my original post.  Nevermind..... this isn't worth my time arguing.  

Just now, SSG said:

You are missing that it still wasn't the question that was asked.  Not in your quote or my original post.  Nevermind..... this isn't worth my time arguing.  

What was the question that was asked?  Like I've said five times already, this was your original post:

You honestly believe that we're going to have back to back to back HOF QBs?  No team in  NFL history has done it and we're going to be the first? 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, and Matt Cassell won 11 games.  Matt Cassell.  It's easy to say the Patriots missed the playoffs the following season.  Not quite as easy for your argument to admit they missed the playoffs after winning 11 games (how many times has that happened?). 

Not looking for easy or hard.  You don't make or win the super bowl by simply winning 11 regular season games.  My point was that its a wild assumption that the Patriots would have 3 Super Bowl appearances/ wins without Tom Brady when in reality they didn't even make the playoffs in their last season without him.   

1 minute ago, Joe said:

We can always backload the contract can't we? I'm sure Aaron would always restructure if there is a particular player the team wants to pursue.

Yeah, but my entire point and the entire basis of my argument is that there is no back loading if his contract guarantees him 15% of the salary cap every year.

Just now, SSG said:

Not looking for easy or hard.  You don't make or win the super bowl by simply winning 11 regular season games.  My point was that its a wild assumption that the Patriots would have 3 Super Bowl appearances/ wins without Tom Brady when in reality they didn't even make the playoffs in their last season without him.   

Right.  Is it as wild an assumption as saying the Patriots would have gone to 0 Super Bowls without Brady?  That was the point I was making. 

In 2001, Brady threw 18 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and 2800 yards in the regular season.  He threw 1 touchdown and 1 interception in 3 playoff games to win their first Super Bowl.  You think it would be impossible to find a QB who could have done that?  I think otherwise.

If Matt Cassell could get the Patriots to 11 wins...

Yep, definitely skimmed past that second TO BACK. 

I still think we will.  McCarthy got two 245 yard, 3 TD, 0 INT and 100+ QB rating games out of Brett Hundley.  That was without a tight end to speak of, Cobb, Nelson and Adams and a patchwork OL. 

He got a 6 TD game out of Matt Flynn. 

I absolutely believe that McCarthy and our staff, paired with our scouting department and a top 5 QB, could get a third consecutive HoF QB. 

McCarthy got Brett Favre back to a QB rating of 95 for the first time since the 1996 season.  Favre's 15 interceptions in that season was also tied for his lowest INT total since 1996. 

Sorry for having faith in McCarthy in developing a top five QB based on what he's been able to do with Hundley, Flynn, Rodgers and Favre.  Honestly wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy was able to get Kizer into pro bowl this year if something was to happen to Rodgers again. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Then don't respond at all.  It's a fricking football forum.  It's meant for discussion.  If you don't see merit in discussing whether or not a player coming off two broken collarbones and one Super Bowl win should be guaranteed 15% of the salary cap for the rest of his career, go find discussion you'd want to be a part of and quit being an insufferable Butkus.  Are you not getting enough attention lying about your Packer sources on Twitter or something? 

Broken collar bones are reoccurring/Chronic injury?? 

twitter packer sources? what?

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

Broken collar bones are reoccurring/Chronic injury??

Did I say they were chronic recurring injuries? 

twitter packer sources? what?

When I use sources, they're legitimate and I say who they are.  You must have me confused with someone else. 

Archived