Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Show the play against Chicago in 2013 and against Minnesota in 2017 and let's see who was/wasn't open and whether or not extending the play was a good or bad idea. 

Barr_injures_Rodgers_Packers_Week_6_2017

The only guy that got open was Bennett and Rodgers extended the play when the Pocket broke down and he got it to the only open guy here. 

aaron-rodgers-taken-to-the-locker-room-a

ill give you this one because he pretty much was running into a bunch of Bears, but vs the Vikings it was the right decision imo.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Yeah that doesn't matter to me, QBs get hurt in the pocket too. In fact every QB ACL tear I can remember off the top of my head was in the pocket. 

How many broken collarbones were in the pocket? 

Without trying to turn this into an argument, using the utmost honesty, do you think a QB is just as likely to get injured in the pocket as they are outside the pocket?  100% honesty.  Yes or no. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Without trying to turn this into an argument, using the utmost honesty, do you think a QB is just as likely to get injured in the pocket as they are outside the pocket?  100% honesty.  Yes or no. 

Yes absolutely.

No blindside hits outside the pocket, no low blows, no getting rolled up on, no stepping on a foot or hitting your hand on follow through. You're really only at risk for injury to the shoulder/arm/elbow you land on. If anything I think it's safer. Recency bias is the only thing telling you otherwise.

Brady ACL in the pocket, Wentz ACL outside the pocket

Steve Young career- ending concussion in the pocket, Troy Aikman career-ending concussion outside the pocket

Joe Theisman broken leg in the pocket, David Carr broken leg on a scramble but he was still technically in the pocket

Inside the pocket or out, Rodgers needs to take fewer sacks, and thus fewer hits.

Rodgers has been sacked 354 times in 10 years as a starter.  To put that in perspective, Peyton Manning was sacker 303 times in 17 seasons as a starter.  Rodgers has already been sacked 50 more times in 7 less seasons.

Rodgers has been injured frequently in recent seasons, whether the collar bones, or the calf,  He isn't a young NFL player anymore.  If Rodgers wants to play into his 40's, he is going to need to take fewer hits.  Use his mobility, sure.  But be smart about it.  

Some of that is on Gutekunst, in that he needs to put a line in front of Rodgers that can give him the protection he will need as he ages.

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Inside the pocket or out, Rodgers needs to take fewer sacks, and thus fewer hits.

Rodgers has been sacked 354 times in 10 years as a starter.  To put that in perspective, Peyton Manning was sacker 303 times in 17 seasons as a starter.  Rodgers has already been sacked 50 more times in 7 less seasons.

Rodgers has been injured frequently in recent seasons, whether the collar bones, or the calf,  He isn't a young NFL player anymore.  If Rodgers wants to play into his 40's, he is going to need to take fewer hits.  Use his mobility, sure.  But be smart about it.  

Some of that is on Gutekunst, in that he needs to put a line in front of Rodgers that can give him the protection he will need as he ages.

I think the Line is fine, Bulaga just can't stay healthy.

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

But if he can't stay healthy is the line fine?

It is what it is- if the team can field a durable group that can hold up in pass rush, then it needs to be improved.

I think they were really high on Spriggs but he just didn't pan out last year. Murphy might be better

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Honestly yes, if you disclude injuries from getting hit while trying to run for extra yardage.

I think you're more likely to get injured when caught unaware, and that's more likely to happen in the pocket.

I would say inside or outside the pocket the risk of getting injured is high. The game has a lot more rules to protect a QB who is inside the pocket. Maybe because that's where the QBmost likely gets injured , I don't know just a guess. But this is football. The chance of getting injured is high regardless of where you are on the field.

I feel like this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. This isn't like RG3 where Rodgers has no idea when to slide. This is a highly intelligent QB, who may be trying to do to much at times,  that knows he cant keep taking hits like he has. He will adjust, and he will be a better QB because of it. Rodgers is considered  the best for a reason.

18 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I feel like this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. This isn't like RG3 where Rodgers has no idea when to slide. This is a highly intelligent QB, who may be trying to do to much at times,  that knows he cant keep taking hits like he has. He will adjust, and he will be a better QB because of it. Rodgers is considered  the best for a reason.

Injury isn't the only concern though.  You'd all have a point if my only concern with his play style was injury.  Injury is the second concern.  The first concern is what he does to the flow of the offense.

Remember before 2015 when our offense had a consistent flow?  When was the last time you've felt that way about our offense? 

2015 ruined Rodgers in that 2015 made him always extend the play as much as humanly possible just because nobody was getting open.  Now he does it for players to get MORE open or open deeper. 

I believe that our offense is better if Rodgers takes what's available rather than waiting for better availability deeper down the field.  The injury concern is just added on top of this concern. 

It makes sense. But is it Rodgers or the Offensive Scheme? The route tree the packers have their WRs run are very vanilla and repetitive/ This is just me going off the eye test, not sure the stats behind it. It just seems like our WRs run very unimaginative routes. Rodgers has to make extra time it seems because our WRs create minimal separation. Is it the scheme or just the WR talent we have? Or is it really just Rodgers shooting for the moon instead of taking what is given?

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Injury isn't the only concern though.  You'd all have a point if my only concern with his play style was injury.  Injury is the second concern.  The first concern is what he does to the flow of the offense.

Remember before 2015 when our offense had a consistent flow?  When was the last time you've felt that way about our offense? 

2015 ruined Rodgers in that 2015 made him always extend the play as much as humanly possible just because nobody was getting open.  Now he does it for players to get MORE open or open deeper. 

I believe that our offense is better if Rodgers takes what's available rather than waiting for better availability deeper down the field.  The injury concern is just added on top of this concern. 

We were beginning to get there again before he went down vs the Vikings, also the run the table stretch we found our mojo again before the debacle vs the Falcons.

Archived