Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

Talk of Matt Ryan possibly signing a new contract next week (well the Falcons are aiming for that) I assume the wait is for that contract to be signed before Rodgers does his.

I don't know if this is true but on some of the Falcons boards they say Rodgers and Ryan have the same agent which is interesting if true.

11 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Wouldn't u guys do Arod for the 1,4,33 and Myles Garrett?

No, I'm not putting the near future of this franchise in the hands of a rookie who's got less than a coin flip chance at having success in the NFL.  I'd prefer to have AR12 for 6 or 7 more years and bring a guy up in his wings.  Even then, the chances of that rookie working out is substantially less than him busting.  The idea of needing an average college QB like Sam Darnold to play substantially better in the NFL than he was able to do in college would give me nightmares.

Mike McCarthy has shown that he's not a capable NFL head coach without an elite level QB. 

34 minutes ago, SSG said:

No, I'm not putting the near future of this franchise in the hands of a rookie who's got less than a coin flip chance at having success in the NFL.  I'd prefer to have AR12 for 6 or 7 more years and bring a guy up in his wings.  Even then, the chances of that rookie working out is substantially less than him busting.  The idea of needing an average college QB like Sam Darnold to play substantially better in the NFL than he was able to do in college would give me nightmares.

Mike McCarthy has shown that he's not a capable NFL head coach without an elite level QB. 

Agree that's not enough.  You would have to take 3 QB's up high and maybe hit on one.  

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

More teams have won a Super Bowl without Rodgers than with him over the last decade, so I don't know why the next decade would be any different. 

I assume there's a sarcasm font that my Mac can't interpret here.

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Well..... I mean...... he isn't wrong. 

That's true.  Also true:  the Packers haven't won a Super Bowl without Rodgers for over 20 years!  But, I thought we were trying to make reasonable arguments here.  :D

5 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Agree that's not enough.  You would have to take 3 QB's up high and maybe hit on one.  

I would probably take Barkley, Ward and Ridley in 1 and roll with Kizer

1(1) Barkley

1(4) Ward

1(14) Ridley

2(1) Oliver

2(14) Key

3(14) Chark

4(14) Griffin

etc...

sign Boston 3/15m , Suh 2/30m, Bowman 2/5m,  Mewhort 3/10m

play some 5-2 :)

Garrett-Daniels-Clark-Suh-Wilk(or Perry)

Clay/Blake

QB: Kizer/Hundley/Callahan

RB: Barkley/Jones/Williams

FB: Ripkowski

WR: Adams/Ridley/Cobb/Monty/Chark/Clark

TE Graham/Kendricks/Rodgers

T Bakhtiari/Bulaga/Spriggs/Murphy

G Taylor/Evans/Mewhort

C Linsley/McCray

K Crosby

DE: Daniels/Wilkerson/Lowry

DT Clark/Suh/Adams

OLB Garrett/Perry/Matthews/Key/Biegel

ILB Martinez/Ryan/Bowman/Griffin

CB Ward/King/Oliver/Pipkins/Waters/Hawkins

S HaHa/Boston/Jones/Brice

P Vogel

2 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I would probably take Barkley, Ward and Ridley in 1 and roll with Kizer

1(1) Barkley

1(4) Ward

1(14) Ridley

2(1) Oliver

2(14) Key

3(14) Chark

4(14) Griffin

etc...

sign Boston 3/15m , Suh 2/30m, Bowman 2/5m,  Mewhort 3/10m

play some 5-2 :)

Perry-Daniels-Clark-Suh-Wilk

Clay/Blake

QB: Kizer/Hundley/Callahan

RB: Barkley/Jones/Williams

FB: Ripkowski

WR: Adams/Ridley/Cobb/Monty/Chark/Clark

TE Graham/Kendricks/Rodgers

T Bakhtiari/Bulaga/Spriggs/Murphy

G Taylor/Evans/Mewhort

C Linsley/McCray

K Crosby

DE: Daniels/Wilkerson/Lowry

DT Clark/Suh/Adams

OLB Perry/Matthews/Key/Fackrell/Biegel

ILB Martinez/Ryan/Bowman/Griffin

CB Ward/King/Oliver/Pipkins/Waters/Hawkins

S HaHa/Boston/Jones/Brice

P Vogel

So you want to be Cleveland 2.0?

On 3/20/2018 at 5:55 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

More teams have won a Super Bowl without Rodgers than with him over the last decade, so I don't know why the next decade would be any different. 

If we do what you have been suggesting for a while now we will have to assemble an historically great defense to win a SB without a good QB like the 85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens and the 2016 Broncos.  It isn't easy to keep elite defenses together.  And even if we trade AR for a bunch of picks there is no guarantee those players we select will turn our defense into a world beater.  Right now, even with our issues in our secondary, most of the "experts" feel we'll give MN a run for the division or we'll make the playoffs as a WC.  If Pettine can coach this bunch into just an average defense I like our chances because we have #12.

Just now, Pugger said:

If we do what you have been suggesting for a while now we will have to assemble an historically great defense to win a SB without a good QB like the 85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens and the 2016 Broncos. 

How historically great were the Eagles this past year? 

Tom Brady is what blinds people on this issue.  Tom Brady didn't get to the Super Bowl 8 times because he's a franchise QB.  Brady got to the Super Bowl 8 times because his defense has AVERAGED 20 points allowed BRADY'S ENTIRE CAREER in playoff games. 

If the Packers got the 1st overall, 4th overall and 2019 first round draft pick from the Browns for Rodgers, all the Packers would need would be one top 10 pass rusher (Chubb), one top 12 QB (take your pick of QB at 4), the best DB available at 14 and you have the makings of a dynasty.

The only reason the Packers aren't doing it is the risk factor.  One or both of 1st and 4th overall could bust.  Then you're screwed.

Scenario:

34-year-old Rodgers

versus

Guaranteed top 10 pass rusher.  Guaranteed top 12 QB.  Extra first round pick in 2019.

Don't think there's a GM in the league that wouldn't take that deal.  Especially considering both of Aaron's collarbones aren't all that great. 

Packer fans have a habit of putting their quarterbacks on a pedestal.  Consider the ridicule a fan would have gotten for suggesting the Packers trade Favre after his really bad 1999 season.  "WE'RE NEVER WINNING A SUPER BOWL AGAIN!"

Fast forward 20 years and it would have looked like an absolutely genius move.  In spite of Favre's interceptions, he was still a top 5 QB for the majority of his career.  The NFL was different in his time and those interception numbers really weren't horrific except for maybe 5 of his years. 

Aaron Rodgers will never win a Super Bowl without a top 12 scoring defense.  Ever.  A top 5 scoring defense could absolutely win a Super Bowl without Rodgers.  It's happened 40+ times. 

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Tom Brady is what blinds people on this issue.  Tom Brady didn't get to the Super Bowl 8 times because he's a franchise QB.  Brady got to the Super Bowl 8 times because his defense has AVERAGED 20 points allowed BRADY'S ENTIRE CAREER in playoff games. 

If the Packers got the 1st overall, 4th overall and 2019 first round draft pick from the Browns for Rodgers, all the Packers would need would be one top 10 pass rusher (Chubb), one top 12 QB (take your pick of QB at 4), the best DB available at 14 and you have the makings of a dynasty.

The only reason the Packers aren't doing it is the risk factor.  One or both of 1st and 4th overall could bust.  Then you're screwed.

Scenario:

34-year-old Rodgers

versus

Guaranteed top 10 pass rusher.  Guaranteed top 12 QB.  Extra first round pick in 2019.

Don't think there's a GM in the league that wouldn't take that deal.  Especially considering both of Aaron's collarbones aren't all that great. 

Packer fans have a habit of putting their quarterbacks on a pedestal.  Consider the ridicule a fan would have gotten for suggesting the Packers trade Favre after his really bad 1999 season.  "WE'RE NEVER WINNING A SUPER BOWL AGAIN!"

Fast forward 20 years and it would have looked like an absolutely genius move.  In spite of Favre's interceptions, he was still a top 5 QB for the majority of his career.  The NFL was different in his time and those interception numbers really weren't horrific except for maybe 5 of his years. 

Aaron Rodgers will never win a Super Bowl without a top 12 scoring defense.  Ever.  A top 5 scoring defense could absolutely win a Super Bowl without Rodgers.  It's happened 40+ times. 

Tom Brady got to the SB because he's a franchise QB. Still the most important position on the field, despite your delusions.

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Scenario:

34-year-old Rodgers

versus

Where are you getting a guaranteed top 12 QB?

I hate to break it to you but if we told the league we were open to trading Rodgers right now there would be at least 25 GMs jamming the phone lines at 1265.  Having a great defense is wonderful but this is a QB driven league.  If just having a great defense was the ticket to the SB why are all of these GMs/Owners paying the Staffords, Ryans and Cousins of this league these ridiculously huge salaries instead of spending their caps on their defenses?

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tom Brady got to the SB because he's a franchise QB. Still the most important position on the field, despite your delusions.

Brady doesn't get to 5 Super Bowls if he doesn't take significantly less than he's worth.  Despite your delusions.

If a QB was more important than defense, Manning would have won 5 Super Bowls.  Bree's would have won 4.  Rodgers would have won three by now.

All the evidence in the history of the Super Bowl agrees with me, and yet some of you continue to insist that a QB is the most important aspect to a Super Bowl winning team.

Put on the tape of the Dallas game last year.  Still want to trade Rodgers?  The guy single handedly tilts the field. It would take a lot to trade him  away.  Kizer?  Are you kidding me?   Understand the logic but it is flawed.  It's really hard to find a franchise QB let alone one of the best in the league.  Have nothing behind Aaron so trading him is not an option right now.  We should begin the process of looking for his eventual replacement.  It will take awhile.  Next years QB's are looking pretty good.  Ideally we draft the next guy and groom him for 2-3 years.  However even then there are no guarantees until he hits the field.  Most likely we'll go through a couple of QB's until we hit on one next time around.  Earliest we could even consider trading Aaron is not for a couple of years yet and only if we have something behind him.  

Archived