Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I hope so because that would really help my point.  We CANNOT do something stupid like guarantee Rodgers 15% of the cap.  That would ruin us.

I know the Elway Broncos skirted the cap, I THINK the Young 49ers did too.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I hope so because that would really help my point.  We CANNOT do something stupid like guarantee Rodgers 15% of the cap.  That would ruin us.

I'm pretty sure our FO realizes this. I commend Rodgers agent for trying, but I don't see us biting. Maybe if he was tagged this year and we had a chance of losing him next, but we have 2 years and 2 tags at our disposal before he's priced out of our range.

Think the writing is on the wall that Rodgers wants out of GB. He used to be humble, now he's turn into a Hollywood Diva. I'm starting to lose respect for him. I'd be on the phone with Elway asking how many years of 1st and 2nd rounder's they want to give us for Rodgers.

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Think the writing is on the wall that Rodgers wants out of GB. He used to be humble, now he's turn into a Hollywood Diva. I'm starting to lose respect for him. I'd be on the phone with Elway asking how many years of 1st and 2nd rounder's they want to give us for Rodgers.

What Rodgers agent wants, is not what Rodgers wants necessarily.

Plus in the art of deal negotiating, you never start of demanding some common ground type figure. Whatever you start with, GB is going to try and drive down, so might as well shoot big and settle for what you'd have been happy with from the start.

I'm just kind of pissed the effect this may have had on FA this year. And of course any subsequent year if they really do sign him to a progressive percentage type deal. I'm not sure how he could say he's interested in competing for super bowls with a straight face. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ray is right, if the agent is leaking these demands, we're not to the point of final numbers. 

If the team is leaking these demands . . . That's where I start getting nervous.

Really, REALLY hoping it's the former.

If you're a player and you hear this what's the reaction? Do you let it play out or try to reign in your agent a bit? 

You just never know how much of anything is lip service any more. If a player like Rodgers wants us to be more active and aggressive in FA, but yet behind the scenes he wants to set records for his personal salary on a yearly basis due to escalators that never allow the team to breathe, that's just ridiculous thinking. Without a guy like Andrew Brandt to offer hindsight on these types of things, I don't know if we ever get the full truth

Just now, Kepler said:

Really, REALLY hoping it's the former.

If you're a player and you hear this what's the reaction? Do you let it play out or try to reign in your agent a bit? 

Let your agent do his job. 

Doesn't make sense to pay a professional and then step in when things are getting intense.

You don't get mad at the team for low-balling you. You don't get mad at your agent for asking for the moon. That's how these things work. If we don't have a resolution in a few months, that's when the player maybe steps in if he really wants to stay somewhere.

Really though, it's in the interest of both sides to come to an agreement. Rodgers wants a bigger payday and guaranteed money into retirement and the Packers want to rework his deal for more capspace (either this year or next year). 

Just now, St Vince said:

Think the writing is on the wall that Rodgers wants out of GB. He used to be humble, now he's turn into a Hollywood Diva.

He's always been a diva.  I am one hundred percent serious and you can quote me on it, if Rodgers demands 15% of the cap every year of his next deal, I would call every other team in the league and ask what they'd offer for him.  I'd take the best deal and live with it.  It is not rational to pay any player 15% of the salary cap when you have to pay 50 other players AND have money left over for emergency situations in the season. 

Hopefully that 15% thing is a terrible rumor. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He's always been a diva.  I am one hundred percent serious and you can quote me on it, if Rodgers demands 15% of the cap every year of his next deal, I would call every other team in the league and ask what they'd offer for him.  I'd take the best deal and live with it.  It is not rational to pay any player 15% of the salary cap when you have to pay 50 other players AND have money left over for emergency situations in the season. 

Hopefully that 15% thing is a terrible rumor. 

Maybe there's a reason the Packers traded for Kizer?

Archived