Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Way too many people on here have gotten way too used to having competent QB play. You start thinking that it's a given and that's a dangerous trap to fall into. 

There are a lot of first round QBs that bust hard. 

++++++++

I don't see any reason you don't give Rodgers two years time with Pettine's defense. He's under contract for two more years and you've got the franchse tag for two years. That takes him until he's 38 years old. Does it suck for Aaron, yep. Is he going to be happy with you, probably not. But that's life. Unless you're really worried about him holding out or something, that's the game that you play if you're so aghast at paying an elite QB, elite QB money. 

Not to mention, the other draft picks you get spending them on probably defense aren't gurenteed, and could bust. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

As mamy as it takes for us to trade him.  Keeping him gives us a three year window.  Trading him gives us a 10 year window.  

What do 90% of Super Bowl winning quarterbacks have in common?  Defense.  

Lol 3 year window....

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Way too many people on here have gotten way too used to having competent QB play. You start thinking that it's a given and that's a dangerous trap to fall into. 

There are a lot of first round QBs that bust hard. 

++++++++

I don't see any reason you don't give Rodgers two years time with Pettine's defense. He's under contract for two more years and you've got the franchse tag for two years.

I have NEVER been against doing that.  I am 100% against giving Rodgers another contract.  I think it's absolutely stupid.  Absolutely STUPID.

You have him for two years for 20 million.  Why change that?  If he has a problem with it, boo effing hoo, you signed the deal.  Effing deal with it. 

This is why I dislike Rodgers... He ******* and moans about Thompson by saying he thinks we need to be all in every year, and now he wants a new deal that's going to hurt our ability to go all in each year?  He can't have his cake and eat it, too. 

It certainly would be a brave new world to trade AR.

On another thread I commented (inaccurately....) that the concept of continually giving QB's more and more and yet more money is a dead end IMO. They're not going to throw for 6,000yards or 50+ TD's (with any regularity thats for certain). At some point, the postion's gonna max out statistically. The best of the best will only be able to produce MAX amount - even if all the dice fall right. Thats the market view i.e. its the market and not the stats that is driving the increased salaries.

1265 properly points out its the % of CAP designated to the one QB position that counts - and I'm sure its also statistically known (or can be determined) the range of CAP% for QB's that allows a team to maintain its competive level. Last year I read and posted something indicating that % is around 13.5. Sorry, I dont recall the exact amount - but it was in the 13's - meaning no team had ever won a SB with a QB pulling down more than that. 

I'd personally like - for AR to take less $. Not because I wish him ill or think him undeserving (not at all) but because of the second paragraph. It would allow the team (in a time of an increasing CAP) to build around him better - be that on the offense or defense. 

BUT - an unchanging constant regardless of that % is the organization's ability to both recognize, secure and deploy TOP talent. Difference makers. Guys who 's name we hear during the course of a game because of their impact and I believe this an area the team has come up a bit short. I have never been convinced that GB is a top target for potential FA's - never - hence the D+D philosophy was employed. So we've got to NAIL the drafts and COACH UP any of that talent's shortcomings.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Lol 3 year window....

Why am I the only one who acknowledges that Aaron's playing style does not age well?  We have no idea who Rodgers in the pocket is.  No idea whatsoever.  For a player who refuses to throw to running backs and who takes notoriously long to throw the ball, it's completely possible that Aaron's game drops off considerably.  Rodgers is not Brees, and he is not Brady. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Why am I the only one who acknowledges that Aaron's playing style does not age well?  We have no idea who Rodgers in the pocket is.  No idea whatsoever.  For a player who refuses to throw to running backs and who takes notoriously long to throw the ball, it's completely possible that Aaron's game drops off considerably.  Rodgers is not Brees, and he is not Brady. 

Have you watched young Favre? Every QB with legs starts like Aaron and molds their game as they age. There is no such things as a generational player who's game "doesn't age well."

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Have you watched young Favre? Every QB with legs starts like Aaron and molds their game as they age. There is no such things as a generational player who's game "doesn't age well."

Brett Favre was the most durable QB to ever play the game.  Rodgers has essentially missed two regular seasons.  You do not know and you cannot comfortably say Aaron is going to be as good as he is now in four years.

Just now, flyers0909 said:

I just don't understand how we have a 10 year window if we trade Rodgers.  

It's 10 years of a new first round QB.  There is a chance we miss, but if we don't miss it's a ten year window. 

Somebody find that chart that shows team playoff success correlated to percentage of a cap a QB takes up because I'm sick of being the only one who doesn't want to pay Aaron Rodgers more than we have to just to be able to guarantee we have him when he's 37, 38 and 39 years old.

Teams don't win when their QB takes up a certain amount of their cap.  It doesn't happen. 

If Tom Brady was getting paid what he's worth, the Patriots would not have won two years ago, and they would not have made it this year. 

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Brett Favre was the most durable QB to ever play the game.  Rodgers has essentially missed two regular seasons.  You do not know and you cannot comfortably say Aaron is going to be as good as he is now in four years.

Yes I can ha. He's had some collarbone problems, literally irrelevant to long term health, no ligament or muscle damage.

19 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd say he's just as dangerous in the pocket.

s2ndGDU.gif?crop=1xw:1xh;center,center&r

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  You think he's going to be able to move like that at 37 years old? 

Is 37 the new 60?

Guy isn't out running anyone there, he's literally hopping around. The vision and feel for the OL is leagues more important than athletic ability there.

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  You think he's going to be able to move like that at 37 years old? 

Only in 3 years? Huh? I wouldnt be surprised, guy keeps his body in great shape, he isnt gonna turn into a statue. The point though is you said we don't know what he's like in the pocket, at all... which baffles me because the guy can make moves like that.

Archived